Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,355,070 times

Advertisements

walmart employs a lot of people, and also keeps prices down. you want those poor people in small towns to pay more at mom and pops, i guess.

the idea that walmart makes people in a city poor is absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 09:28 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,090,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Yeah the rustic scenery, low crime and the friendly hard working people really give the state's image a black eye.
Ohio's rural areas seem to be hurting pretty badly. The heroin, lack of economy/jobs, poverty etc. I'm not saying all of the rural areas in the state are like that but a decent amount of that are. The state would be pretty screwed with out the three C's.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,174,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Stockton is barely known outside of California, so I wouldn't say it's detrimental to its image
Generally speaking true, but news of its' bankruptcy a few years ago went national.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:06 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,314,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Not sure I agree with that. El Paso is kind of an afterthought when it comes to most people's perception of Texas. I think the area of the state that comes closest to its stereotypes is the corridor from Amarillo down to Midland-Odessa. This region also has an outsized influence on the state's politics.
Good points.Most people in Texas dont even think about EP.I think Odessa has a negative influence on peoples perception of Texas.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:59 PM

141 posts, read 133,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oklahoma City in Oklahoma. Oklahoma is one of those states that is usually grouped with Mississippi and Alabama as being one of the least desirable places to live in the country. Most people don't realize that Tulsa is actually a nice small city. Many of the Oklahoma stereotypes (ultra-conservative, tornadoes, boring, flat, dry, etc) don't apply to Tulsa to the extent they do to central Oklahoma. I think if Tulsa were in any other state, it would be a much more popular place, but it carries a stigma because it's in Oklahoma. It's kind of like Biloxi Mississippi, which actually isn't bad, but because it's Mississippi people have preconceived notions.

Thanks for the reply but what you're saying is slightly different to what I meant ..

You are saying Tulsa would be more recognised if it weren't in it's state I think ?

That's a different subject.

I'm not sure Oklahoma City fits the bill as regards dragging its states' image down ..

Old 12-06-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Stockton is barely known outside of California, so I wouldn't say it's detrimental to its image

I disagree.

Stockton is known outside of California .. and for all the wrong reasons.

So yeah I think it fits into what this thread is about.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
it's = contraction of "it is."

You should have used the possessive form for your thread title: its.

That being said, I would say that Newark brings down the image of New Jersey, a beautiful state with beaches, mountains, and old-growth forest.
Sorry yes ..

I'm always making that mistake.

As regards Newark well actually maybe .. but if so it's more a local thing ? But sure it's what I'm getting at ...

It can be global, national, regional, or parochial... but there's always some city you'd wish wasn't there !

Old 12-06-2016, 08:27 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,572,886 times
I think the obvious one is Detroit to Michigan, though Detroit is improving (its core anyway).

I also agree Ohio's "black eye" so to speak would be its rural areas, mainly in the southern part of the state. That includes small rust-belt towns like Portsmouth, Middletown, and of course Youngstown...basically large enough to have problems but too small to attempt to reinvent themselves like Cleveland or Cincinnati.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:12 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,959,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc1 View Post
I disagree.

Stockton is known outside of California .. and for all the wrong reasons.

So yeah I think it fits into what this thread is about.
It doesn't really fit. While there are people who don't like California, none of them draw their impression of the state on how much Stockton or San Bernardino or Bakersfield suck. Those cities are too inconsequential to factor in to people's opinion of the state.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:24 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,106,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Dallas is important in the Metroplex and is, like the rest of it, growing. Unquestionably, Dallas has nearly all the "urban" neighborhoods. However, Dallas is only a portion of the metro, the only blue city, if I remember correctly, and probably ranks among the worse among the municipalities for things like income equality and primary education. All the suburbs, especially the vibrant one, and Fort Worth are Red or Purple.
I wouldn't consider Fort Worth as the poster child of income equality and primary education. It appears a little bit better than Dallas simply because it's less of a diverse city. I hate to say it, but there's definitely a correlation between race/ethnicity, socioeconomics, and education. Fort Worth is more insular, more homogenous, and less transient. So there's more stability. The only reason that city is on the economical map is because of its ties to Dallas... If it were in Abilene's spot, it would be... well... Abilene.

Plano and Frisco exist because of white flight and the interstate highway system. If transportation officials in Dallas didn't expand the highway network, those two areas would not have grown to the point of where they are today. If the Dallas North Tollway wasn't built, Frisco would still be a SMALL TOWN! The highways that were jammed through and nearly destroyed predominately black neighborhoods were the ultimate tool of segregation. Income for blacks in Dallas is less today than when it was BEFORE those highways. So Dallas is having to clean up the legacy costs of poor urban planning and sprawl. On the flipside, it is attracting a lot of younger urban professionals back to neighborhoods in and around the urban core. With this new dense, urban growth, they'll be more revenue to fix the streets, improve the schools, deal with the homeless situation, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.