Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:50 AM

686 posts, read 621,529 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville, I guess???

I don't really have anything against it (other than all of the rednecks) but the city itself isn't much different that any other sunbelt city. Smallish downtown surrounded by miles and miles of unchecked sprawl, just like Tampa and Orlando. Doesn't feel like Florida to me, though, which is why I guess I'll go with Jax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 08:22 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Texas- Waco, Port Arthur and Beaumont (I don't know why anyone would willingly live in the Port Arthur-Beaumont metropolitan area, it is the only metro were the majority of towns are terrible. I think Nederland might be the only good town in the entire area.
Louisiana- Lake Charles, Shreveport (NOLA and maybe Baton Rouge bring up its image with LSU and Creole culture)
New Jersey- Camden
(Newark, Atlantic City and Paterson, have contributed a lot in my eyes and Trenton is the state capital)

Old 04-24-2017, 08:38 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I think Baltimore brings down Maryland's image due to the high crime areas.

However, Baltimore has a pretty downtown and Inner Harbor. Good restaurants too.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:55 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
New Jersey basically any large urban area besides Hoboken or portions of Jersey City.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:19 PM

689 posts, read 1,006,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think Baltimore brings down Maryland's image due to the high crime areas.

However, Baltimore has a pretty downtown and Inner Harbor. Good restaurants too.
Yes I think a lot of Maryland's image is owed to Baltimore rather that be in a positive or negative light. Most of the state is dominated by suburbs and small towns not a big sphere of influence to outsiders. Baltimore high crime areas are as infamous as they are due to media, outside of that most people overlook other areas about the city and state in general. Their loss if you ask me.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:34 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
In Pennsylvania:

Chester -- just the end-product of the sort of politics that also killed Detroit and Youngstown.

Wilkes-Barre, Plymouth and Pittston -- hopelessly wedded to political graft and a dumping-ground for dysfunctional people, most of whom are white.

But please take note that I did not include Hazleton; with a fast -growing industrial base and one of the largest school districts in the state. That can be attributed to a large influx of Latinos, most of whom, despite the grumbling among the local burn-outs, are as hard-working and ambitious as any of us.

And that's about all; the vast majority of the Keystone State is healthier than it has been in almost a century.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-24-2017 at 03:43 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Ohio would probably be either Youngstown or Portsmouth. The former due to deindustrialization & related poverty (even by Rust Belt standards) and the latter due to the Oxy/heroin epidemic. But even those towns are just the most glaring examples of what plagues the state as a whole.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Colorado, deserved or not:

Pueblo
Greeley
Commerce City

Old 04-27-2017, 02:10 PM

89 posts, read 115,550 times
A few years ago, I would have said Richmond for the state of Virginia, but boy have the times have changed! I thin kthat the majority of cities in the Hampton Roads region (plus Petersburg) by far have a worse reputation.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:11 PM

89 posts, read 115,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Ohio would probably be either Youngstown or Portsmouth. The former due to deindustrialization & related poverty (even by Rust Belt standards) and the latter due to the Oxy/heroin epidemic. But even those towns are just the most glaring examples of what plagues the state as a whole.
I've seen Pueblo mentioned a few times. I have a friend who visits often... Do tell, why Pueblo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.