U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:01 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Most of Ohio is very much not Upper Midwestern. It's more similar to Iowa than Michigan. As someone mentioned already, it's really just the stretch from Toledo to Cleveland. I just happen to be from that region originally so I consider myself an Upper Midwesterner. Most of Ohio is not.
I definitely consider Ohio and Indiana the lower midwest with Minnesota and Wisconsin being clearly part of the upper midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

353 posts, read 107,435 times
Ohio is more classic midwest. I think Minnesota, Michigib WI, and North Dakota as upper Midwest. Anything north of i-90 is what I classify as upper midwest.

Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

348 posts, read 59,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Florida

(North Americans)

Most: North/Central Florida
Least: Miami

(Foreigners)

Most: Miami
Least: North/Central Florida

Alabama

Most: Montgomery/South Alabama
Least: Birmingham

Alabama Least: HUNTSVILLE. Place is loaded with Engineering PhDs, schools are loaded with really smart kids.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM

348 posts, read 59,529 times
California Least: 80% of the City of Los Angeles which has turned into a broken, degenerated, crime infested, filthy, resource depleted, anonymous, uncaring, hopelessly diverse, detrimentally multicultural, graffiti sprayed, ugly, littered, education averse, 3rd world jungle.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,591,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
California Least: 80% of the City of Los Angeles which has turned into a broken, degenerated, crime infested, filthy, resource depleted, anonymous, uncaring, hopelessly diverse, detrimentally multicultural, graffiti sprayed, ugly, littered, education averse, 3rd world jungle.
Sounds like its working out just as they intended.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

3,497 posts, read 1,599,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Ohio is more classic midwest. I think Minnesota, Michigib WI, and North Dakota as upper Midwest. Anything north of i-90 is what I classify as upper midwest.
I-90 passes through Chicago. So that makes Chicago the border between Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest. And it kind of is; it has elements of both. For example, cheese curds (Upper) and corn on the cob (Lower) are equally popular in Chicago. Upper Midwest is held in slightly higher regard by Chicagoans, it seems, except for one element of it: the Packers.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

8 posts, read 2,056 times
Indiana

Most like the state: Anywhere rural

Least like the state: Bloomington (it's a liberal bubble in a conservative area of the state).

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

3,497 posts, read 1,599,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere85 View Post
Indiana

Most like the state: Anywhere rural

Least like the state: Bloomington (it's a liberal bubble in a conservative area of the state).
I'd add Northwest Indiana to "least like the state". That part is basically an extension of Chicago; it even has a commuter railroad (South Shore Line/NICTD) going there. It's also much more industrial than the rest of the state.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

1,538 posts, read 708,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I'd narrow that to the UP of Michigan. The Lower Peninsula has no significant Scandivanian heritage and is more Methodist (like the lower Midwest) than Catholic/Lutheran. It has more industry and farmland and less undeveloped forest. It's more similar to Ohio or Illinois than to the UP.

Old Today, 05:43 AM

4,235 posts, read 2,508,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'd narrow that to the UP of Michigan. The Lower Peninsula has no significant Scandivanian heritage and is more Methodist (like the lower Midwest) than Catholic/Lutheran. It has more industry and farmland and less undeveloped forest. It's more similar to Ohio or Illinois than to the UP.
You'd have to cut Lower MI in half from Grand Rapids to Bay City. Anything north of that is very much like the rest of WI, and MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or