Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:37 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think Midland,Odessa,Abilene,San Angelo are very stereotypical Texan due to high school football,oil/gas,Christianity, and red politics..People like to shoot guns,hunt,fish,camp and do outdoors things there.
I dont know what the least stereotypical would be....maybe El Paso.El Paso meets the stereotype of being desert but the culture there does not seem very Texan.I think San Antonio is very Texan.I think Austin has become less Texan and more Californian.I think Fort Worth is more stereotypically Texan than the Big D.I dont think Houston is very Texan at all anymore other than being the center of the state's most important industry.I think the Valley has less Texas culture.I dont know how stereotypical Corpus is.I think the Hill Country is very Texan.
Yeah El Paso seems to be more culturally tied with New Mexico and Arizona than it is the rest of Texas. It's actually geographically closer to San Diego than it is Houston. It is pretty semi-arid around Odessa so you have the terrain and culture that is most commonly associated with Texas. Fort Worth is probably the closest large city to the Texas stereotype and it really is what a lot of people envision Dallas to be. Dallas to me has more of a New South feel, much like Atlanta or Charlotte and is not what comes to mind when you think "Texas".

I'm torn on Houston because you have the "everything is bigger" mentality there, the prominence of the oil & gas industry (something Texas is known for), it's very slightly more "country" than Dallas, but on the other hand it's such a diverse, cosmopolitan city and the terrain and landscape is more "Deep South" than it is "Texas."

I think Austin has changed so much over the past 20 years, being a boomtown and liberal Millennial hotspot, that it's hard to really consider it "the real Texas" these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 07:03 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Arizona: Phoenix is the most like a state stereotype, since Arizona stereotypes are actually based off Phoenix rather than the other way around.
Arizona: Flagstaff is the least like a state stereotype, 80+ inches of snowfall a year, 7k elevation, small liberal college town with awesome ski resort, that ain't no hot conservative desert lol.... Flagstaff might as well be annexed into Colorado. I love Flagstaff though.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:20 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Colorado

Most like - any ski town in the mountains.

Least like - Denver and all points east. Denver isn't in the mountains and everything east of there is more like Kansas.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:35 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
West Virginia

Least
Upstate South Carolina in the mountains north of Greenville (people typically don't associate South Carolina with mountain scenery or culture)
i would also say Greenville and western SC (the Upstate) because of hilly topograhy, blue Ridge mountains in distance, and don't hear much about civil war / slavery history like you do in Charleston. less pine trees and no palm trees. i think Mryble Beach, Charleston and less extent Hilton Head kind of the basis for most non-SC residents when they think of the state.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Arizona
--------
Most: Sedona
Least: Lake Havasu City
My vote would be

Most: Phoenix
Least: Flagstaff

Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 AM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
North Carolina:

Most: I lean towards Greensboro. I feel like the triad region probably represents what North Carolina is as a state.

Least: Asheville I'd say. A great hippie mountain town, but not really representative of North Carolina as a whole.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:13 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
New Mexico

Most: Santa Fe - Outside of the state in many people's minds they visualize the adobe architecture around Santa Fe Plaza. It's a city that could only exist in New Mexico. Santa Fe is also populated by wealthy transplants and it's an eclectic, artistic, weird'sh, liberal bubble that has little in common with the rest of the states population. So Santa Fe is a dichotomy in that sense.

Least: Roswell, it's a conservative rancher's city that wouldn't be out of place in West Texas.

New Mexico True, I'd say Las Cruces and Old Mesilla

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-07-2016 at 08:23 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Every state has a nationwide stereotype. Many times these stereotypes have an element of truth but are exaggerated and/or do not apply to the entire state. What are places in states that you can think of that most closely match the image most people associate with that state? Also, what places within that same state is least like the stereotype? Here are some I can think of.

Texas
------
Most: The corridor from Amarillo down to Midland-Odessa
Least: Austin

Oklahoma
-----------
Most: Central Oklahoma south and west of Oklahoma City
Least: Southeast Oklahoma

Arkansas
----------
Most: The area in northern Arkansas running from Harrison through about Mountain Home
Least: Little Rock

Arizona
--------
Most: Sedona
Least: Lake Havasu City

New Mexico
-------------
Most: Santa Fe
Least: Far northeastern New Mexico

Kansas
--------
Most: Dodge City
Least: Lawrence

California
----------
Most: The Bay Area
Least: Bakersfield

Mississippi
------------
Most: The Jackson metropolitan area
Least: Biloxi/Gulfport

Alabama
---------
Most: Tuscaloosa
Least: Gulf Shores/Mobile
Least likely in CA would really be where I live now, at the far north end of CA near the OR border. We're so different from anywhere else in the state.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:48 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Texas

Most: Abilene, Weatherford, Amarillo

Least: Either the Beaumont area, as its very tied with Louisiana or far far South Texas which is practically Mexico.

Florida

Most: Tampa, Orlando, the Miami metro region, Naples. (Miami is unique in that its so different from mainstream Florida yet such an integral part of Florida's identity)

Least: inland north Florida. Not on the coast and not by the theme parks.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Bloomington is the most un-Indiana city in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.