U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 11:27 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,971,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Idaho ranked 39th in population is pretty impressive to me, given how remote it is, and some of it not being habitable, and only one well known city. I think Boise is the most remote sizable city in the US.
It is pretty impressive, but I think either Honolulu or Anchorage would take the title of most remote sizable city in the US. And if you're talking the contiguous US, it has some competition with Denver and Salt Lake City, though one could argue that they are surrounded by lesser, but still sizable satellites.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 11:40 AM

7,583 posts, read 3,999,195 times
you can get direct flights to Denver and SLC, to get to Boise most people are looking at least one stop, possibly 2 or 3.

not to slight Alaska and Hawaii but they seem more like terroritoies to me than states.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,149,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
It is pretty impressive, but I think either Honolulu or Anchorage would take the title of most remote sizable city in the US. And if you're talking the contiguous US, it has some competition with Denver and Salt Lake City, though one could argue that they are surrounded by lesser, but still sizable satellites.
Yeah, I lived in SLC for a number of years and it seemed isolated to me. Hundreds of miles to Denver, Boise, or Las Vegas.

Here is a list of non stop flights to and from BOI.

Nonstop Destinations - City of Boise

Old 12-12-2016, 11:44 AM

7,583 posts, read 3,999,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Yeah, I lived in SLC for a number of years and it seemed isolated to me. Hundreds of miles to Denver, Boise, or Las Vegas.

Here is a list of non stop flights to and from BOI.

Nonstop Destinations - City of Boise
nothing from the east coast though, not even ATL, a major airport.

i suspect SLC and Denver got direct flights from ATL and Charlotte and cites in FL. i know Denver does.

another factor is with Denver is you can go east, north and south without driving through mountains. i suspect in Boise you driving through the mountains to go in at least 3 directions and it would seem to be especially rough riding to go east.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:30 PM

5,548 posts, read 3,690,388 times
Denver is a United hub, Atlanta, Salt Lake and Seattle are all Delta hubs. The top destinations non-stop from Boise are Seattle, Denver, and Salt Lake. It think it is safe to say that many, if not most Boise flyers are making connections at these hub airports.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,149,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
nothing from the east coast though, not even ATL, a major airport.

i suspect SLC and Denver got direct flights from ATL and Charlotte and cites in FL. i know Denver does.

another factor is with Denver is you can go east, north and south without driving through mountains. i suspect in Boise you driving through the mountains to go in at least 3 directions and it would seem to be especially rough riding to go east.
I get what you are saying, but BOI has a good number of direct flights for an airport its size and it is easy to connect to other airports to get around if a person is flying. Regardless of airports, Boise, Denver and SLC are still isolated cities. As far as geographic location, I give Boise the "impressive isolated city but near other cool cities award" because of its proximity to the west coast, Portland, Seattle, etc.

I-84 connects down into Utah and over to Portland, but you are correct about the mountains especially heading north, northeast and northwest. Heading south there are mountains as well, but they are separated from Boise by the Snake River Canyon. Most of the land south of Boise is desert canyon wilderness known as The Owyhee Canyonlands.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:30 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Cheyenne and Denver are not comparable to Boise climate wise. Cheyenne is like 10 degrees colder than Denver year round, and Boise is west of the Continental Divide and at much lower elevation than Denver or Cheyenne. Boise's normal low temp bottoms out at 25, where Denver's drops to 16 and Cheyenne's normal low drops to around 10
Are you just going to argue weather or are you going to actually contribute to this thread?

Old 12-13-2016, 09:57 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,860,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Are you just going to argue weather or are you going to actually contribute to this thread?
I already contributed in my first post in this thread, where besides the harsh climates, I mentioned the lack of diversified economies which is more than likely the much bigger issue. If you don't work for Sinclair, there ain't too many other good jobs in the state of Wyoming as an example

Old 12-14-2016, 05:57 AM

13,237 posts, read 17,771,271 times
We had the option to move to Casper, WY. Complete relo. Have you looked at housing cost, shopping options, medical services or entertainment past popcorn and a movie? We moved to a town of almost 20k in Oklahoma instead.

Spent July 4 in Cheyenne. ..... that was it.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:27 AM

3,082 posts, read 2,114,844 times
BP has just announced they are moving their domestic land based operations headquarters from Houston to Denver. Perhaps they are anticipating the OPEC meetings to reduce production may finally gain some momentum and domestic production will begin to ramp back up. This means a lot of idle equipment in northern Co and WY will be put back to use.

IMO, the fact that BP would move to Denver ahead of any place in WY reinforces what Threestep mentioned above. There just isn't enough of nearly anything, but open space, the attract people to WY and eastern MT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or