U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best yuppie, hipster culture without the price and liberalism of San Francisco?
Nashville 8 13.79%
Louisville, KY 6 10.34%
Minneapolis 6 10.34%
St. Louis 4 6.90%
Denver 12 20.69%
Atlanta 11 18.97%
Dallas 14 24.14%
Charlotte 4 6.90%
Houston 15 25.86%
Cleveland 0 0%
Seattle 12 20.69%
Chicago 6 10.34%
New York 3 5.17%
San Diego 7 12.07%
Pittsburgh 1 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,049,058 times

Advertisements

Austin is liberal...

I don't get the recommendation either?

"Keep Austin Weird" may not be quite to his tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:48 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,654,698 times
Nashville
Possibly. I would think it would be big on country music
Louisville, KY
Sounds family oriented and conservative
Minneapolis
Sounds nice to raise a family, cold, though
St. Louis
St. Louis and Kansas City tends to be pretty liberal while the rest of the state is pretty conservative. Springfield, MO is more conservative. St. Louis is a nice city, though. And there are 3 major universities there. It's also very affordable, and there are plenty of suburbs, although I prefer cities myself. The weather changes a lot from July to January, though. The weather's not boring anyway.
Denver
Sounds beautiful. Too cold for my preference, though.
Atlanta
Atlanta's expanded a lot in the past however many years, so prices may be higher. Still, it's a nice city, and probably pretty conservative.
Dallas
Sounds conservative and warm. Probably nice to raise families.
Charlotte
Same as above.
Houston
Sounds a lot like Dallas to me.
Cleveland
Maybe a little more liberal. A lot of snow. Cheap.
Seattle
Sounds more liberal to me, and expensive, and rainy.
Chicago
Nice city, more liberal most likely. Major cities usually are more liberal anyway, with the exception of a few that are mostly in the south. Chicago's somewhat expensive, but not bad for its size.
New York
Again, probably more liberal. And expensive.
San Diego
Expensive, although warm. Being southern California, I would expect it to be more liberal, but I can't tell you for sure.
Pittsburgh
Sounds pretty conservative to me, probably affordable.

These could be vastly wrong, but from what I've gathered on this site and in the news I would hope this is pretty accurate.

I would also suggest checking out Springfield, MO. There's some good colleges there and I believe it's pretty conservative. There's also a few churches and Bass Pro Shops headquartered there. It gets warm in summer and fairly cold in winter. Springfield, Missouri - Official Visitor Information (http://www.springfieldmo.org/final/ - broken link) There's also Branson nearby which has a waterpark and Silver Dollar City. And there are lakes nearby if he likes to fish.
Missouri State University That's a good school. I know kids who have gone there. Since you would be an out-of-state student it would be about $5k a semester (otherwise it's half of that). It's a nice school, and Springfield is a pretty cheap place to live, cheaper than St. Louis in most cases. Although unless you have a roommate, it might be cheaper to live on campus, although decent apartments in Springfield can had for $450/month or less. Room and board is about $5,600 a year, so depending on the quality and location of an apartment you might choose, it might come out about the same. springfield, MO apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist Some apartment listings there.

St. Louis is bigger and more liberal, and a little bit more expensive, so it may not be his type of town as much. Both are great cities to live in. I have friends living in Springfield right now.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 02-29-2008 at 12:06 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 12:18 AM

32,347 posts, read 55,157,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
San Diego
Expensive, although warm. Being southern California, I would expect it to be more liberal, but I can't tell you for sure.
To put it mildly,
San Diego is rather conservative. In fact outside of LA County, most of Southern California is right wing.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:06 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,996,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Austin is liberal...

I don't get the recommendation either?

"Keep Austin Weird" may not be quite to his tastes.
It's liberal for Texas...which is no where near as liberal as SF.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 AM

386 posts, read 1,536,813 times
St. Louis is cheap and has great law schools--and a pretty solid legal job market. And I don't think it's very liberal at all. That said, I also don't think it's very yuppie.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:06 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,202,159 times
ahhhhhh Why would anyone be looking for this?

It's like worst of both worlds.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:51 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,654,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
St. Louis is cheap and has great law schools--and a pretty solid legal job market. And I don't think it's very liberal at all. That said, I also don't think it's very yuppie.
Compared to the rest of the state (excluding Kansas City) it's pretty liberal.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:32 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,713,185 times
GOD that sounds JUST like Dallas, not necessarily a good thing. I remember something being posted about $30,000 Millionaires, and how Dallas is like the place for them...

Old 03-01-2008, 12:09 PM

893 posts, read 444,906 times
Hotlanta has to be the place...then again maybe Nashville

Old 03-01-2008, 04:05 PM

386 posts, read 1,536,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
GOD that sounds JUST like Dallas, not necessarily a good thing. I remember something being posted about $30,000 Millionaires, and how Dallas is like the place for them...
Dallas and apparently Denver and Houston. Interesting......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.