U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:01 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,397,152 times

Advertisements

Sacramento could be a good fit. Maybe Minneapolis as well. I'd say Maryland could work but it's probably not Cold enough long enough but here are mountains not to far away. Also Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. Albuquerque also maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 02:40 PM

21,201 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
The East Coast is more uptight culturally but some of what you are describing is the simple realities of living in larger collections of humans that we call cities. Many people left the NE to move to the south cause "less taxes, more land, less regulation." But eventually those southern metros will establish tolls, parking restrictions, zoning rules, require high-density housing, develop stronger state-level educational regulations etc.

Maybe a smaller city/metro outside the northeast would be more your speed. I would avoid the places that are booming (Denver, Austin, Portland) because what I described above is already rapidly developing.
This^

The OP paints the east coast in very broad brush strokes which indicates an unfamiliarity that should be addressed before jumping into a 2500-3000 mile move on another generalization. Places like Athens GA, Chapel Hill/Carrboro NC, Asheville NC, Boone NC, Bloomington IN and Ithaca NY are some of the standout examples.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:42 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,768,844 times
OP have you considered actually moving to a trapezoid? You know that's an option, don't you? just look closely at your US map.

Quote:
It's really about, "no you can't park here". It's about formalities, people thinking you're rude cause you wear a baseball hat at the table (I have manners-if needed). IMO, the east coast (specifically W.MA.) is about following rules and making sure you color a rectangle with one color inside the lines

How about moving to a state where the official song celebrates the disappearance of government regulators? Think about it. Main drawback is not enough cold and snow.

Nashville is the obvious choice for the young and upwardly mobile, though schools could be a drawback. Knoxville is closer to mountains and skiing. There are some progressive private schools and some public schools that might be worthy of consideration. Chattanooga is cultivating a progressive vibe, though under the hand of the government -so that may or may not work for you.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:36 PM

1,182 posts, read 582,974 times
There are big differences between political orientation, thinking for oneself and acting like a little kid who doesn't want to take a bath. Being in the last category doesn't necessarily mean you'll be happy in Denver. I lived there for over 40 years and almost every place I ever worked had a dress code. You get a parking ticket if you're imperfectly parked and a ticket if your grass is too high. And just because nobody says anything about your kids doesn't mean their fussing and crying is music to their ears.

OP should probably move to the country where they and their neighbors won't bother each other.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:42 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,768,844 times
Oops, I just realized TN is a parallelogram, not a trapezoid. That would be Arkansas. Eureka springs has an alternative mindset & Fayetteville is a university town. There are mountains in that part of the state.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 AM

44 posts, read 28,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Move to Madison WI, Minneapolis MN, SLC or Sacramento CA and you have a good chance of having the same issues.

Bend OR, Reno NV, Boise ID or Spokane/CDA could have some issues for you with "rules" too but probably lesser.

In general if you want fewer rules, look at smaller cities & towns. But certain jobs are rare outside bigger cities.
^This is such great advice! Thinking progressively.

A recent note from a first grade teacher.. It chaps me, because no color was specified. He choose orange, then a snarky note from his teacher. The conformity is instilled all over the place!

Another example:
We went sledding a local hill, and I was standing up in a plastic sled and riding it like a snowboard.. and more than one kid would say "hey you can't ride the sled like that, it's not allowed",,,, um ok!

Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 AM

5,452 posts, read 2,836,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uieluck View Post
^This is such great advice! Thinking progressively.

A recent note from a first grade teacher.. It chaps me, because no color was specified. He choose orange, then a snarky note from his teacher. The conformity is instilled all over the place!

Another example:
We went sledding a local hill, and I was standing up in a plastic sled and riding it like a snowboard.. and more than one kid would say "hey you can't ride the sled like that, it's not allowed",,,, um ok!
Either of those situations can happen anywhere. The teacher's comment is odd but had nothing to do with the location. The kid is just talking like some kids do. You want the kid to be forbidden from saying something like that? So much for freedom of speech.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:31 AM

44 posts, read 28,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Either of those situations can happen anywhere. The teacher's comment is odd but had nothing to do with the location. The kid is just talking like some kids do. You want the kid to be forbidden from saying something like that? So much for freedom of speech.
It's a "feeling" maybe not well expressed well online. But an orderly vibe or feeling is what I'm getting at. These types of 'rules' didn't seem to happen in CO (out west'ish). or at leastónot on my radar.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:50 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,442,308 times
Quote:
It's a "feeling" maybe not well expressed well online. But an orderly vibe or feeling is what I'm getting at. These types of 'rules' didn't seem to happen in CO (out west'ish). or at leastónot on my radar.
I've lived in Denver for about the last 10 years (also spent 6 months living in Spokane), and my takeaway from Denver (as a still current resident) is that there aren't nearly enough social rules/norms here.

Kids believe they have "rights" to do whatever they want and act how they please (including speaking freely {including w/expletives} to their parents, teachers, and other adults). Broncos gear is acceptable to wear to job interviews. There is no taboo whatsoever when it comes to drugs. People are BEYOND rude in public, people act so entitled as if each one of their little hearts is more important than the next person (try walking around any public event). Not to mention, the whole place is incredibly introverted, segregated, and completely lacking in common sense (as a whole, socially).

But if you fit with all that, good for you, that is great! This native Californian does not, I find Denver to be completely lacking in class for the most part, there is an incredible air of superiority celebrating mediocrity (or things that don't, or simply shouldn't matter) that is incredibly suffocating.

OTOH, since you mentioned Spokane in your OP, I find Spokane to have much more stringent social norms than Denver, however, there is much more extroversion, and more of a laid back "help your neighbor" vibe, a stronger sense of community/etc.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 PM

5,452 posts, read 2,836,728 times
Quote:
It's a "feeling" maybe not well expressed well online. But an orderly vibe or feeling is what I'm getting at. These types of 'rules' didn't seem to happen in CO (out west'ish). or at least—not on my radar.
Your radar is off kilter. I have lived in CO for a long time, and your perception of the state as one big indulgent grandma and no rules is inaccurate. AND Denver is not the entire state, nor is the Front Range.

As for rules, if the teacher wanted only dark colors, she should have just stated that. But then you would complain that there WAS a rule, an actual plainly-stated one. Extrapolating one teacher's assumptions to an entire state's "feeling" is absurd. And I ran across a young kid--in CO--who was a real priss on a hiking trail, much more than your example where there might have been a rule against standing up and the kid just repeated it. But again, these are isolated examples, not the way most people behaved.

You probably would not br happy anywhere in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or