U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 01:11 PM

44 posts, read 28,712 times

Advertisements

Full on taking HUGE suggestions.
In February I moved from the Denver metro area (semi regret it meow).
Currently I live in Western Massachusetts/New Englandly/mega OLD FASHIONED. Here are the places I've lived: FL, WI, WA, SD, CO, MO, MN, TX, Moscow, Russia. Outta all these MA. is the worst—for everything.

Me—and my family have a verrrry 'west coast' (semi non-dirty hippie/vibe/style/laid-back attitude. Furthermore, I really despise RULES and authority. This is not about being liberal and/or republican. I'll remind you; NorthHampton, MA. is often down as one of the MOST liberal place in the US, and we can't stand it!

It's really about, "no you can't park here". It's about formalities, people thinking you're rude cause you wear a baseball hat at the table (I have manners-if needed). IMO, the east coast (specifically W.MA.) is about following rules and making sure you color a rectangle with one color inside the lines. This one-way gas station and attendant threatening to call the cops for my tank being on the other side (turned around). A "dress code" in a 3 person sized office. My kid got an in trouble note that said "was not paying attention today", THIS wouldn't even be on the radar in Colorado————he's a young kid, OF COURSE he doesn't pay attention, sigh. These may-not be great examples, but trust me—there are a lot of rules here, a lot!
There is a definite segregation and separation from adults to kids here—where; kids are kids and adults are adults. No gray areas, where adults interact with kids they way they do out in CO. An area that would pride themselves to have the kids sit at the kids table during Thanksgiving, in CO. they probably would not.

So, within a year we WILL be moving, maybe even back to the Denver metro, but if we don't, what are some similar types of areas?
Here is what I've come up with: Madison, WI., Minneapolis, MN., anywhere in MT., Spokane/CDA., 'maybe' SLC., Sacramento, CA., Bend, OR., Reno, NV.(prolly not), Boise, ID.
Think FREE THINKERS, the ability and opportunity to be a creative mind—here they want to rid you of that disease. My kids went to some very progressive schools in the Denver metro,, so I would love similar availability.
Ideas and/or suggestions?

BTW, I love mountains, outdoors, the cold, seasons, skiing etc. so: Austin, TX is a solid no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 01:25 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,404,211 times
America as a whole has moved away from free-thinking, individualism, liberty, freedom from rules, etc. That's no longer America's forte. Massachusetts in particular was the state that brought us Henry David Thoreau and plenty of other freethinkers in the 19th century. It's condition today is representative of the rest of the country, and how far down we've gone. The dominant powers (persons and organizations) existing in this country today are adverse to persons who can think for themselves, and question/analyze authority. It's a threat to them, and has to be stamped out. They won't stop or let up, as the trend has shown. They love laws, rules, and limits for others, while skirting and skipping out on laws and limitations for themselves.

It sounds like another country is what you need. You've already lived around the US, in all the notable regions, and haven't been happy. It's doubtful that the other towns will be significantly different. Really, sometimes it comes down to thinking big, and making big changes. Who knows how happy and free you might be in another country.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 12-07-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 02:37 PM

44 posts, read 28,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
America as a whole has moved away from free-thinking, individualism, liberty, freedom from rules, etc. That's no longer America's forte. Massachusetts in particular was the state that brought us Henry David Thoreau and plenty of other freethinkers in the 19th century. It's condition today is representative of the rest of the country, and how far down we've gone. The dominant powers (persons and organizations) existing in this country today are adverse to persons who can think for themselves, and question/analyze authority. It's a threat to them, and has to be stamped out. They won't stop or let up, as the trend has shown. They love laws, rules, and limits for others, while skirting and skipping out on laws and limitations for themselves.

It sounds like another country is what you need. You've already lived around the US, in all the notable regions, and haven't been happy. It's doubtful that the other towns will be significantly different. Really, sometimes it comes down to thinking big, and making big changes. Who knows how happy and free you might be in another country.
All good points!
Well, I've been happy (unlike most of the angry people of MA.). But all those travels were job related (pre-kids). To clarify, I've spent that last 11yrs in Colorado and the past 10 months in MA.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:11 PM

5,458 posts, read 2,846,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uieluck View Post
Full on taking HUGE suggestions.
In February I moved from the Denver metro area (semi regret it meow).
Currently I live in Western Massachusetts/New Englandly/mega OLD FASHIONED. Here are the places I've lived: FL, WI, WA, SD, CO, MO, MN, TX, Moscow, Russia. Outta all these MA. is the worst—for everything.

Me—and my family have a verrrry 'west coast' (semi non-dirty hippie/vibe/style/laid-back attitude. Furthermore, I really despise RULES and authority. This is not about being liberal and/or republican. I'll remind you; NorthHampton, MA. is often down as one of the MOST liberal place in the US, and we can't stand it!

It's really about, "no you can't park here". It's about formalities, people thinking you're rude cause you wear a baseball hat at the table (I have manners-if needed). IMO, the east coast (specifically W.MA.) is about following rules and making sure you color a rectangle with one color inside the lines. This one-way gas station and attendant threatening to call the cops for my tank being on the other side (turned around). A "dress code" in a 3 person sized office. My kid got an in trouble note that said "was not paying attention today", THIS wouldn't even be on the radar in Colorado————he's a young kid, OF COURSE he doesn't pay attention, sigh. These may-not be great examples, but trust me—there are a lot of rules here, a lot!
There is a definite segregation and separation from adults to kids here—where; kids are kids and adults are adults. No gray areas, where adults interact with kids they way they do out in CO. An area that would pride themselves to have the kids sit at the kids table during Thanksgiving, in CO. they probably would not.

So, within a year we WILL be moving, maybe even back to the Denver metro, but if we don't, what are some similar types of areas?
Here is what I've come up with: Madison, WI., Minneapolis, MN., anywhere in MT., Spokane/CDA., 'maybe' SLC., Sacramento, CA., Bend, OR., Reno, NV.(prolly not), Boise, ID.
Think FREE THINKERS, the ability and opportunity to be a creative mind—here they want to rid you of that disease. My kids went to some very progressive schools in the Denver metro,, so I would love similar availability.
Ideas and/or suggestions?

BTW, I love mountains, outdoors, the cold, seasons, skiing etc. so: Austin, TX is a solid no.

So, you alone determine how the rest of the population must adapt to you. "Laws and rules are only for other people" says you. Imagine if everybody lived by those rules, or lack thereof.

Most people are taught very early in life that manners are intended to put someone else at ease, not just you. Sounds like you are not a free thinker so much as a spoiled brat. With the attitude you express, Denver wouldn't welcome you, either, no matter what you claim. Maybe other people are just too polite to confront your totally self-absorbed behaviors.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:38 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,072,956 times
Move to Madison WI, Minneapolis MN, SLC or Sacramento CA and you have a good chance of having the same issues.

Bend OR, Reno NV, Boise ID or Spokane/CDA could have some issues for you with "rules" too but probably lesser.

In general if you want fewer rules, look at smaller cities & towns. But certain jobs are rare outside bigger cities.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:17 PM

14,050 posts, read 20,387,446 times
I lived in the Northeast for 32 years and have now lived in Denver for 36.
It is not about rules, but norms.
The "West" is looser as most have moved here from somewhere else so they are willing to jettison many of the old ways.
Take Horace Greeley's advice.
And, decide which is better for you: red or blue?

Old 12-07-2016, 09:21 PM

3,187 posts, read 7,075,282 times
My friends live in North Hampton, and while they are very liberal they are also very stuffy New England so I understand some of the things you are having issues with. I enjoy the west coast mentality more than the east. Bend would be high on my list but jobs can be hard to come by, I like Boise too, very well put together town. Good luck in your search and your move.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:43 AM

597 posts, read 299,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post

Excellent SYNOPISIS and actually very sad.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,128,210 times
The East Coast is more uptight culturally but some of what you are describing is the simple realities of living in larger collections of humans that we call cities. Many people left the NE to move to the south cause "less taxes, more land, less regulation." But eventually those southern metros will establish tolls, parking restrictions, zoning rules, require high-density housing, develop stronger state-level educational regulations etc.

Maybe a smaller city/metro outside the northeast would be more your speed. I would avoid the places that are booming (Denver, Austin, Portland) because what I described above is already rapidly developing.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:54 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,404,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
And, decide which is better for you: red or blue?
This is a big part of the problem; how polarized, divided, and limited our thinking and ways have become. In much of our history, even the reds and blues tried to stay near the middle. People were suspicious of getting too far from the middle. That's where the unstable and unbalanced people hung out. Now it's reversed, and the extremes are embraced, with neither party being a fit/match for many people. For a country that used to represent so much variety and opportunity, with a rich level of thought and opinion, it has all shrunk down to basically two narrow ways and approaches that have no room for the heart and soul of the traditional American mind. Thought and intellect have been thrown out as well, and replaced with emotion (especially intimidation, anger, and fear), so the mind's gone too.

All you have to do is research the thoughts and writings of the great thinkers in America's past. The powers that be today though hope that the masses will be dumb and ignorant of our past, and not open their eyes to what is going on. They are in a sense changing history to be for their benefit, and not others. And most Americans just plod along day to day as is if this is supposedly normal.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 12-08-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or