U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:00 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,519,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastyyy View Post
Canada does not have a universal "funny accent". I live in Toronto and you will not hear that type of accent here. It's also very difference from the upper Midwestern accent (which does not sound Canadian at IMO). The average Canadisn accent sounds more like something from Washington state than Minnesota.
Not EVERY person from Toronto has an accent, but from what I've noticed, Toronto does seem to have a distinct accent among its urban millennials. (Mostly due to the West Indian influence)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastyyy View Post
Also Tim Horton's is rarely seen in Toronto or Vancouver. That is very "small town" Canadian culture. And Hockey doesn't matter to anyone in the GTA - again only small town Canada. We are also very multicultural.
It also appears that Toronto is more of a Basketball city, than it is Hockey; most of the people I know from Toronto seemed more excited for the NBA season, rather NHL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 02:12 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,539,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Not EVERY person from Toronto has an accent, but from what I've noticed, Toronto does seem to have a distinct accent among its urban millennials. (Mostly due to the West Indian influence)

It also appears that Toronto is more of a Basketball city, than it is Hockey; most of the people I know from Toronto seemed more excited for the NBA season, rather NHL.
Toronto a Basketball City?
The Leafs literally have 8x the TV ratings of the Raptors.
This was from the end of last year, when it was obvious no Canadian team would make the playoffs.
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...213612544.html

Old 12-13-2016, 02:13 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,905,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
This was from the end of last year, when it was obvious no Canadian team would make the playoffs.
Yeah, I was wondering about that basketball comment.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:48 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,519,895 times
Quote:
Hmm, maybe it's just the people I know or have met.

You'd imagine how popular Basketball is among the urban youths in Toronto.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:22 AM

21,941 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
Yes, Toastyyyy is posting a lot of stupid things, seemingly to fetishize that Toronto is "better" than all of this typically Canadian stuff (ewww). And cozying up to American stuff, which I suppose is sexier to him or her.

Hockey is still the most popular pro sport in Toronto by some measure, and this is with the Leafs sucking big time for several decades and being probably the worst of the city's pro sports teams.

Imagine if the Leafs were actually good!

And BTW there are TONS of Tim Hortons all over Toronto. Do a search for Tim Hortons on Google Maps over Toronto and you'll see what I mean.

Sheesh.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,273,495 times
October to March.... Arizona!
It's amazing how many Canadians winter in Arizona. During the winter the freeways are awash with canadian plates. During the housing crash Canadians were the biggest buyers of Arizona real estate. We have whole neighborhoods of Canadians, Canadian bars, restaurants, festivals, etc..

You don't have to be on the canadian border.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:44 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,226,526 times
Michigan. At least the eastern and northern halves. We're basically Canada, Jr.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:42 PM

8,553 posts, read 5,378,813 times
Quote:
That wont be an issue this season though.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:48 PM

8,572 posts, read 12,671,394 times
Quote:
Don't most people?
I know the Canadian anthem. I don't live anywhere near Canada either, although I have visited several times.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:40 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,494,548 times
I would guess Alaska, Vermont, and Maine as far as culture goes.

Living in Washington, it seems like there are more "ties" than culture since Canadians cross the border to shop. Many are taken in busloads to the outlet malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or