U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 04:54 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,885,958 times

Advertisements

I've visited each of the cities mentioned and lived in LA before.

Honestly I have heard people compare LA to NYC. I know LA has tried to be on par with NYC with LA Live trying to mimic Times Square, but I still don't see it as the west coast NYC. I think that title still belongs to SF.

I feel LA if you cut out the San Fernando Valley is still more like Miami. A warmer, spread out and party culture city. Both have origins from Latin America. Miami having Cuban immigrant routes and LA once being a Spanish town.

I also feel that SF and NYC are older cities. SF dating to being a lively city during the gold rush era and NYC being one of the first estabilished cities in this nation.

Miami and LA, have been around, but didn't see their growth until around the WW2 era.

LA, though, is almost in it's own category because it's economy is larger and more diverse than Miami.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Orange County in CA and Orlando, FL seem to be both be fiscally conservative, but morally progressive. Anaheim-Santa Ana compared to Orlando are both sprawled out. Super sunny weather. Both have several amusement parks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 08:20 PM
_OT

2,141 posts, read 1,517,587 times
Eh, not digging the Miami/LA comparison, while Miami has a large Hispanic culture, I think it's more of a Caribbean city than it is mainly Hispanic-influenced like LA. While LA appears more diverse than Miami, Miami feels more integrated amongst its' minorities.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:35 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,178 times
Just got back from San Francisco a few days ago for the first time since 1989, and it reminded me of Chicago more than New York, though I do see the New York parallels. It was kind of Chicago meets New York meets Barcelona.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:02 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,011,832 times
Just because any comparison can be made, at anyone's whim, doesn't mean it should be.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:58 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,105,742 times
Orlando is MUCH poorer than Orange County.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:21 PM

18,911 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Orlando is MUCH poorer than Orange County.
Though, ironically, Orlando is also in Orange County (FL of course)

Old 12-10-2016, 05:24 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Honestly I have heard people compare LA to NYC. I know LA has tried to be on par with NYC with LA Live trying to mimic Times Square, but I still don't see it as the west coast NYC. I think that title still belongs to SF.
New York City and San Francisco are not remotely alike. For one thing, San Francisco is much smaller and much hillier.

It should be nicknamed the city of hills, because that is its most obvious characteristic.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:41 AM

2,110 posts, read 1,303,876 times
Yeah I don't really see the NYC/SF comparison either.

I think the whole NYC vs LA thing comes from them being the two biggest cities in the US, and also on opposite coasts. I agree with that not being the best comparison either though. They are nothing alike, almost like opposites. I think it's more of a "which one do you like better" type of comparison, since they are so different.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:01 AM

998 posts, read 881,426 times
ridiculous.....please....

Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,178 times
I'm surprised there's so much opposition to the New York-San Francisco comparison. Obviously they're different cities, but the area of San Francisco around Union Square reminds me of New York, in particular the western part of Midtown, probably more than any place I've ever been. It's a mix of newer high rises, six-story Italianate buildings with front fire escapes, and the occasional one- or two-story building that's survived all the construction booms. Both cities also have a mix of upscale chains and low-endy, often immigrant-owned businesses that you don't really see in cities like Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or