U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DC's suburbs are most similar to those of
NY/NJ 14 28.57%
Atlanta 32 65.31%
The Bay Area 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2016, 06:36 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The constant comparisons drawn between Atlanta and DC are a bit unusual, though. People seem to forget that the Atlanta area still has southern traits (isn't Cobb Co pretty conservative?) while the DC metro is solidly mid-Atlantic. I guess in some ways, Raleigh/Durham is a good midpoint between the two although I think Northern VA has far more in common with Raleigh/Durham. Honestly, Atlanta belongs in the same neighborhood as Charlotte, Nashville, and even Birmingham. DC and Atlanta are not in the same neighborhood.
You are way overplaying how Southern Atlanta is, while downplaying how Southern RDU is.

The Triangle is every bit as Southern as Atlanta, if not more so.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 09:52 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,264,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You are way overplaying how Southern Atlanta is, while downplaying how Southern RDU is.

I don't know, I still view the Atlanta area as pretty darn southern. For one, GA is more southern than NC. Also, there are very conservative and religious pockets of the Atlanta metro. You have to venture further out into the 'burbs to reach these pockets, but they're still there. Overall, RDU is arguably more liberal. Maybe it's because I grew up an hour south of VA and visited DC once every year or two, but I'd still place RDU and Northern VA in the same neighborhood. Trust me, there are areas of the Triangle like Cary that are completely overrun by (mainly northern) transplants. I can't help it, but I still think "Deep South" whenever I'm in Atlanta. I mean, AL is only an hour to the west. Maybe Greensboro is more culturally southern than Atlanta, but not RDU.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:42 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,564,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

I agree with this, places like chapel hill, raleigh and durham are very southern. I think the term research triangle is sort of misleading, nobody tells people they live in the research triangle area. they say they live in chapel hill, raleigh, durham etc

The traffic in DC and surrounding suburbs is on a whole new level of hellishness, I would find it hard to believe that anything can be worse as that virginia traffic around DC but maybe LA. DC will probably never solve these traffic problems because you have three distinct areas, the state of Virginia , the state of Maryland and the District of Columbia and they dont work together very well or really at all to solve the hellish gridlock around DC. Once you get out of the car, northern virginia and southern maryland is very nice, but I just think of traffic when I think of the suburbs around dc

If I had it over again i would never have left the district to live, much better quality of life for a single person than the suburbs .

Old 12-12-2016, 07:01 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Northern VA is arguably more like the Raleigh/Durham area of NC. Atlanta might be too southern, and there's a higher black population down there. At the same time, of course DC has a high black population along with areas of MD east of the district. I don't see many similarities with NY/NJ and SF.
Interesting. I picked NY/NJ because I live here and I see the similarities; however, I haven't been to SF or Atlanta to compare.

Similar in the congestion and the volumes of people commuting to a nearby larger city, diversity of people, many languages spoken, all types of ethnic foods available.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:03 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I see the NoVa/northern NJ comparison but a huge difference is NoVa has nothing like the old, gritty urban centers of northern NJ; there are no real NoVa hoods to speak of.
That's true, but since the poll said "suburbs", I was going by the actual suburban areas, not Newark or Paterson. That is a difference, though.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:47 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times
Quote:
I don't know, I still view the Atlanta area as pretty darn southern.
Of course it is, it's the hub of the entire region. And the Triangle is Southern as well.

Quote:
For one, GA is more southern than NC.
No, it isn't. They are about exactly the same when it comes to being Southern.

Quote:
Also, there are very conservative and religious pockets of the Atlanta metro. You have to venture further out into the 'burbs to reach these pockets, but they're still there.
Hello? Apex, Fuquay Varina and Zebulon just to name a few are straight-up Southern big time. You have to go much further out in most of Metro Atlanta to reach that level of 'Southern.'

Quote:
Overall, RDU is arguably more liberal. Maybe it's because I grew up an hour south of VA and visited DC once every year or two, but I'd still place RDU and Northern VA in the same neighborhood.
No, RDU is hardly more liberal than Atlanta - arguably or not. That is just ridiculous.

Interesting that we meet numerous people from the Triangle at Pride every single year in Atlanta. Why do you think they travel this far, with D.C. supposedly 'in the neighborhood?'

Quote:
Trust me, there are areas of the Triangle like Cary that are completely overrun by (mainly northern) transplants.
So I take it you've never been to the Northern suburbs of Atlanta? Think Cary times about a thousand. Atlanta has been at this a lot longer than RDU, and it shows. Where do think all of the millions of people over the last few decades are from that have moved here? Hint - they aren't all from Fayetteville or Dothan.

Quote:
I can't help it, but I still think "Deep South" whenever I'm in Atlanta. I mean, AL is only an hour to the west.
And Raleigh is about the same distance or less to places like Wilson, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, Greenville and Elizabeth City. Have you ever been to any of these places within your sphere? ALL of them may as well be in deep South Georgia, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Quote:
Maybe Greensboro is more culturally southern than Atlanta, but not RDU.
Keep telling yourself that if it somehow makes you feel better about where you live, but no. Just, no.

I can see you are in the camp that is desperate to divorce your region from the South, just like certain misguided Floridians and Virginians. Having RTP, nonstops to London & Paris and a bunch of transplants doesn't somehow remake your region into Northern Virginian Lite, sorry.

It is possible to be modern, progressive and sophisticated while still being Southern. These things are not mutually exclusive, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:06 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
The constant comparisons drawn between Atlanta and DC are a bit unusual, though. People seem to forget that the Atlanta area still has southern traits (isn't Cobb Co pretty conservative?) while the DC metro is solidly mid-Atlantic. I guess in some ways, Raleigh/Durham is a good midpoint between the two although I think Northern VA has far more in common with Raleigh/Durham. Honestly, Atlanta belongs in the same neighborhood as Charlotte, Nashville, and even Birmingham. DC and Atlanta are not in the same neighborhood.
Maybe I misread, but the subject of this thread isn't "Which metro in the country is most like the DMV?" You seem to be taking this personally for some reason.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:09 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
I don't know, I still view the Atlanta area as pretty darn southern. For one, GA is more southern than NC. Also, there are very conservative and religious pockets of the Atlanta metro. You have to venture further out into the 'burbs to reach these pockets, but they're still there. Overall, RDU is arguably more liberal. Maybe it's because I grew up an hour south of VA and visited DC once every year or two, but I'd still place RDU and Northern VA in the same neighborhood. Trust me, there are areas of the Triangle like Cary that are completely overrun by (mainly northern) transplants. I can't help it, but I still think "Deep South" whenever I'm in Atlanta. I mean, AL is only an hour to the west. Maybe Greensboro is more culturally southern than Atlanta, but not RDU.
Good Lord dude, you SERIOUSLY think Atlanta is Mayberry compared to the Triangle, don't you? You actually think there aren't places in metro Atlanta overrun by transplants? Or do you think that all those transplants are from Valdosta and Milledgeville?

You and this "Deep South" fixation (which Atlanta really isn't; it's solidly within the Piedmont while Raleigh is on the fall line which straddles the coastal plain/Deep South and upland South) is just...weird. You clearly know very little about metro Atlanta.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 12-12-2016 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 10:38 PM

1,223 posts, read 579,138 times
Quote:
Well, to each his own. There was one poster who said that ATL felt "sleepy" compared to Nashville so I guess some people can develop a perception of Raleigh-Durham being more liberal, transient, and less Southern (I'm going to assume that you mean more country/rural, slower paced, and maybe less accepting of _____). It depends on what your definition of Southern is. Of course from a directional standpoint, we are indeed more Southern than RDU but really, ATL is more diverse than RDU & that leads to confusion on my part. The RDU/Northern VA comparison throws me off too, care to explain?

Old 12-13-2016, 03:47 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Why is it bad to be southern? That's something to be proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or