U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:13 AM

624 posts, read 707,595 times

Advertisements

If you're going to check out Greenville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Roanoke you should throw Johnson City into the mix. College-town vibe with great schools and endless opportunities for outdoor recreation. There is a downtown mountain bike park under construction and a recently completed rails-to-trails project. The city still flies under the radar a bit compared to the cities you mentioned but I think that will start to change in the coming years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 12:10 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
I agree Johnson city is great for outdoor enthusiasts. I don't think people consider how close it is to the high elevation NC ski areas. Are there areas on the outskirts where one could buy property with long range views at a reasonable price?

Like I said earlier, if the OP finds Knoxville too scruffy he can save himself the trip to Roanoke (and Johnson city). But if he does decide to visit JC from Knoxville, he should go by way of Greeneville and Jonesboro. Mainly for the scenery but also it saves some miles.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:10 PM

You're right about Johnson City being close to the NC ski resorts as it's about an hour from Beech and Sugar and 45 minutes from Wolf Ridge.

There are long range views throughout the city itself and definitely on the outskirts although land is often not as cheap as people think.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:44 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times
East Tenn. State University in Johnsonville has a nice looking campus. I think it is the nicest one in Tenn based on only looking at Google maps streetview. It reminds me of Clemson University a little bit.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
East Tenn. State University in Johnsonville has a nice looking campus. I think it is the nicest one in Tenn based on only looking at Google maps streetview. It reminds me of Clemson University a little bit.
I assume you mean Johnson City, lol. You're right, it is quite beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or