U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 09:31 AM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times

Advertisements

you can get peaks in the Portland and Washington areas and be in a super green area. i think it is more conifers out there compared to hardwoods in blue ridge. but you will give up a lot of sunshine compared to other area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 09:34 AM

390 posts, read 231,559 times
In my very limited experience the west has more grand and dramatic scenery with steep higher peaks. But the east is much better for hiking with unmatched beauty within the mountains.

Last edited by ms12345; 12-11-2016 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-11-2016, 09:36 AM

you can get great views from the top of Table Rock, and from Caesars Head, Shining Rock, and Chimney Rock, not far from Greenville. And from Lookout Mountain in Nooga.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:52 AM

390 posts, read 231,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
you can get great views from the top of Table Rock, and from Caesars Head, Shining Rock, and Chimney Rock, not far from Greenville. And from Lookout Mountain in Nooga.
Chimney Rock is where they filmed the movie Last of the Mohicans. The scenery was absolutely stunning.

Last edited by ms12345; 12-11-2016 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 AM

best thing to do is get on google maps street view and decide for yourself. i just checked out Reno for the first time and i think it is pretty ugly looking metro compared to Greenville and Asheville. kind of reminds me of Houston.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:04 AM

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...83KZyi28kScqqQ

Here is a pick of Lake Jocasee from Jumpin' Off Rock, about 1 or so hour from Greenville. Jocasse has been compared to Lake Tahoe.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,464 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1337 View Post
I'm open to considering anywhere. I just can't seem to find the best of everything I want and it's driving me nuts.
It's hard to have good views OF the mountains when you are IN the mountains, IMO they are only impressive when you view them from some distance away.
Generally if you are close enough (30-45 minutes or so) to mountains for easy access to the activities you want you are too close to have good views.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:56 AM

78 posts, read 73,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's hard to have good views OF the mountains when you are IN the mountains, IMO they are only impressive when you view them from some distance away.
Generally if you are close enough (30-45 minutes or so) to mountains for easy access to the activities you want you are too close to have good views.
That's a good and interesting point.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:20 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,122,861 times
Quote:
So I'm confused. A lot of people say Colorado is brown most of the time. But I'm looking at pictures, pouring over trip advisor photos, google images, trail images etc etc....

I see some brown. But I see tons of pictures that are green, or white with snow, or autumn colors. It seems like a really good mix and doesn't really strike me as being a desert, brown dead area.

Are all the pictures lying to me?!?
There are definitely green areas found out West, but not to the extent of the East. We're not completely brown over here.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:00 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,069,501 times
Quote:
We want to relocate from Florida. We are outdoor enthusiasts (love hiking, biking both road and mountain, kayaking and even some white water rafting, we've done some very light climbing as well). But I am overwhelmed by the options and the pro's and con's. Here is what we are comparing...

Blueridge area - Greenville/Asheville/Chattanooga

Pros:
Warm winters
Lots of sun
Great colors and plant life diversity
Low cost of living
Great small downtown feel to a lot of the cities, low traffic etc..

Cons:
Small peaks
Not as impressive of views, not a lot of long range views of the landscape

Colorado/Rockies area

Pros:
Huge peaks, great long range views
Tons of outdoor activities, climbing, biking, kayaking etc.
Snow capped mountains, more access to skiing

Cons:
Somewhat brown, compared to the blue ridge area
Cold winters, lots of snow
Higher cost of living

Pacific Northwest - Oregon (mainly)

Pros:

Great colors/foliage.
Access to larger peaks
Volcanoes nearby?!?
Warm winters

Cons:

Gray skies
Higher cost of living

Other areas worth considering that I haven't done a ton of research on, but I have preliminarily ruled out due to the cold winters include: Wyoming/Grand Teton/Montana/Idaho areas as well as Upstate New York and the NH/VT/Maine areas. California due to insane cost of living and my wife is scared of earthquakes!

I'm open to considering anywhere. I just can't seem to find the best of everything I want and it's driving me nuts.
I grew up (mostly) in the Tampa Bay area, and I've lived in Western NC, Central and Western CO, and now Western Washington.

So, I think you're on the right track and can address your options, specifically. And before I start, I'd say that all three regions you mentioned would represent significant change from Florida, and would keep you interested for some time.

One thing, though- what size city are you looking for? Personally, I think it makes a big difference, especially for the quaintness/intimacy- living in the middle of the biggest city in the region may make you feel removed from the outdoorsy vibe that you're looking for.

Southern Blue Ridge-
Still presents more of a change of seasons that people from other areas imagine, though elevation plays a big part in the region, even for residential options. Living in Boone, NC for example would feel like somewhere much further north. And there are significant views, though sometimes the sheer amount of foliage means that you're less likely to see for a distance.

City-wise, there are some really good options. Chattanooga, Knoxville, Greenville, and Asheville are all nice small-to-medium sized city/metros, with good outdoor options, and all are close to, or in the mountains. There are also a lot of little mountain towns that have a lot of character, and are relatively close to the medium and larger cities in the region. From an access standpoint, it's a great region for you to go to if you're not really ready for making the move west.

Colorado/Rockies-
Most extreme climate out of your list. That's not a bad thing, but it's worth mentioning that Fall/Spring are short seasons and you really have a long winter, with snow possible-even in lower (relatively) elevations from September to May or even June. Not that it completely stops you from activity- and if you like winter activities, you have a long season. But it does limit the hiking and biking a little bit. Regarding the green, well... spring snowmelt can make everything vibrant- and things are generally greener year-round in the mountains- but overall, Colorado is a much browner, desert state than most people realize. But the lack of foliage means that views are abundant- with everything wide open and more exposed, you can see forever....

City-wise, my wife and I like medium-sized towns, and that was probably the biggest con to our long term living arrangement in CO. 80% of the population lives on the Great Plains, which isn't all that appealing in everyday life, IMHO. The other option in the state is pretty much mountain towns, which are a blast to visit and cool to live in, though we found they were a bit too small for our long-term taste. However...if you really want to live outdoor adventure, there are a lotof little places that are dreamy but very expensive locales to live- and access to activities is very easy. Back to the Front Range, traffic to the mountains can discourage you from even going sometimes, though to be fair, access to the Foothills is pretty simple- and they would be considered sizable mountains in most other parts of the country.

I'd open my possibilities up to MT and ID- where most all of the more sizable cities are more manageable and closer to the activities. Boise, Missoula, Bozeman.... are all great options.

Pacific NW-
I'm not sure why it's mostly OR on your list, I'd consider WA and even part of ID as well. The scenery is striking, and while things are grey for much of the year, the mild climate means that things west of the Cascades are very green, though access to alpine and desert climates are close. We've found that people have acclimatized, and for the most part people are every bit as active on trails as they were in CO. Speaking of CO- a lot of people very clearly move there for the outdoor activities, and identify as such. But people out this way are every bit as into it- and have even more options, they're just a little more subtle about their hobbies.

City-wise- the big ones are expensive- Portland and Seattle aren't cheap! But there are other options, and there are a lot of medium-sized or smaller options if you don't have to work in a metropolis. Places like Eugene, Corvallis, Olympia, Bend, and Bellingham are all very outdoorsy-oriented and there are still a few relatively inexpensive places to live, like Spokane or to a lesser extent Boise, that will no doubt be more cost-prohibitive over time. But their climates vary, as well. Coastal communities will have the grey, but east of the Cascades, the climate is often much more like the high desert/Rocky Mountain region.

On my FL>NC>CO>WA progression, it took until my mid-30's to make it all the way out west, but we love it and I don't see us moving back. But going all the way west is a big change. I'd visit them and try to decide how far you want to be from friends and family. But again, in general they will all be a significant departure from what you're used to, with CO feeling the most isolated, barren and remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or