Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 12:33 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think I've been pretty polite in this thread.
I got the impression you were trying to prove a point rather than ask for advice.

This is what you asked for in your original post:

Quote:
Warm winters
Lots of sun
Great colors and plant life diversity
Low cost of living
Great small downtown feel to a lot of the cities, low traffic etc..
The first two are subjective. Greenville has a slight edge on temperature and maybe sun but the cities in the region have close to the same climate except Roanoke.

Quote:
Cons:
Small peaks
Not as impressive of views, not a lot of long range views of the landscape
Knoxville has this. As well as all the recreation activities you mention... even skiing, though it is not the best.

You could find Knoxville too gritty, a lot of people do. And even the fat or ugly among us come out and enjoy ourselves downtown. That could be a turnoff for a fitness enthusiast. Or you could have ruled it out for employment reasons. That's OK. But you can't say nowhere fits the criteria in your original post.

There may well be possibilities in California. The best place to ask is the California forum. It's a big state.

Last edited by creeksitter; 12-15-2016 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 01:59 PM

78 posts, read 103,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I got the impression you were trying to prove a point rather than ask for advice.

This is what you asked for in your original post:

The first two are subjective. Greenville has a slight edge on temperature and maybe sun but the cities in the region have close to the same climate except Roanoke.

Knoxville has this. As well as all the recreation activities you mention... even skiing, though it is not the best.

You could find Knoxville too gritty, a lot of people do. And even the fat or ugly among us come out and enjoy ourselves downtown. That could be a turnoff for a fitness enthusiast. Or you could have ruled it out for employment reasons. That's OK. But you can't say nowhere fits the criteria in your original post.

There may well be possibilities in California. The best place to ask is the California forum. It's a big state.

Im definitely not trying to prove a point, so I'm sorry if I came off that way. When you say 'gritty' with regards to Knoxville, could you expand on that a little? I wouldn't really say I'm a fitness snob, so unfit people aren't going to bother me. Hell, I'm not the fittest there is. I just like being outdoors etc. I've definitely looked at some elements of Knoxville. It's intriguing and I'll continue to research it.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:19 PM

Unlike Greenville and Chattanooga, there's not a lot of new construction downtown. Plenty of stores and restaurants but in older buildings. Away from downtown, there are several pockets with rust belt ambience. Chattanooga has a bit of this too, I think Greenville is more squeaky clean.

Like the other poster said, you really have to experience a city for yourself. You can't do this by remote control.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Unlike Greenville and Chattanooga, there's not a lot of new construction downtown. Plenty of stores and restaurants but in older buildings. Away from downtown, there are several pockets with rust belt ambience. Chattanooga has a bit of this too, I think Greenville is more squeaky clean.
How would you compare the hiking/mountain biking? It seems like Greenville (just north) has more access to hiking/biking. Greater diversity of trails, more options to go to?

I could be wrong on this though...

Old 12-15-2016, 07:51 PM

126 posts, read 138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1337 View Post
How would you compare the hiking/mountain biking? It seems like Greenville (just north) has more access to hiking/biking. Greater diversity of trails, more options to go to?

I could be wrong on this though...
Chattanooga is flanked immediately to the west with the Cumberland plateau and to the east by the southern Appalachian range. There is actually way more accessible trail heads in/near Chattanooga than Greenville. There is over 100 miles of singletrack within the area (including Northern Georgia) including Racoon mountain, five points, tanasi, etc. See: SORBA Chattanooga

As you know, Western NC is world-class mountain biking sitting about an hour N of Greenville including Dupont SF, Pisgah, etc. The closest serious biking in Greenville is at Paris Mountain state park near Travelers Rest. There is also a large area west called the Clemson Experimental Forest. I have not biked paris mountain or clemson trails so can't comment on the fun factor. See: Upstate SORBA | The Upstate South Carolina chapter of the Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association & International Mountain Bicycling Association

So...

Greenville: world class mountain biking further out with a good system close by (paris mountain)

Chattanooga: excellent (arguably world-class depending on how you define it) biking that is more plentiful if staying closer to town

Again I have researched this topic as it is an important factor for us in relocating. I think that both options would suite a bike fanatic just fine with plenty of singletrack.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:53 PM

Knoxville is nirvana for mountain biking. You will need to google urban wilderness. Like I (ahem) mentioned in post #3.

Quote:
Greater diversity of trails, more options to go to.
I just don't see this. Knoxville has mountain in 3 directions - lots more options and more variety. With Greenville the trails are a little closer. That's the tradeoff. Though Knox county has House mountain which is pretty close.

Are you familiar with the Delorme atlases? You would find them helpful.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1337 View Post
LOL. Alright. I think I've been pretty polite in this thread. Not sure why you're giving me attitude. *shrugs*
I disagree that you've been polite. You've shot down suggestions by saying things like their entire state would be too expensive, or too brown, etc., without any apparent inkling to actually do some research beyond some idea you have in your head about how some places are.

Seriously, you've shot down pretty much every idea in this thread. That's rude. You are, basically, criticizing the places that people know and love, without any educated opinion and definitely without any first-hand knowledge.

At any rate, I don't think that's polite. Hence my attitude.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I disagree that you've been polite. You've shot down suggestions by saying things like their entire state would be too expensive, or too brown, etc., without any apparent inkling to actually do some research beyond some idea you have in your head about how some places are.

Seriously, you've shot down pretty much every idea in this thread. That's rude. You are, basically, criticizing the places that people know and love, without any educated opinion and definitely without any first-hand knowledge.

At any rate, I don't think that's polite. Hence my attitude.
Ok. Leave the thread then.

I've simply discussed things with people. I've told them what I thought I knew and have asked multiple times to be corrected if I was wrong about something. I've been nothing but polite and if you think I'm being rude, you have some serious issues.

So please, just leave the thread. I don't want your garbage polluting it anymore.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
You have not been rude, but you seem to ignore the very places that offer most of what you listed as essential, while scraping the barrel for encouragement to move places that most likely will not suit your requirement.

This seems particularly odd given that the best matches are geographically closer to you than the less-suited ones. This forum is full of tales of woe from people who somehow thought that the things they had been warned about were untrue. "We didn't think it would be this [dry, wet, expensive, crowded, cold, hot, unfriendly, TOO friendly"] etc etc etc. Sometimes the poster is stuck there and hates it.

Beware the overly rosy pictures painted by boosters!

Old 12-16-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You have not been rude, but you seem to ignore the very places that offer most of what you listed as essential, while scraping the barrel for encouragement to move places that most likely will not suit your requirement.

This seems particularly odd given that the best matches are geographically closer to you than the less-suited ones. This forum is full of tales of woe from people who somehow thought that the things they had been warned about were untrue. "We didn't think it would be this [dry, wet, expensive, crowded, cold, hot, unfriendly, TOO friendly"] etc etc etc. Sometimes the poster is stuck there and hates it.

Beware the overly rosy pictures painted by boosters!

If I seem like I'm ignoring any place, I apologize for giving off that impression. Truth be told, if I had to place odds on where I'll likely end up, the southeast has 3 or 4 of the top destinations and the blue ridge mountains in general are ahead of everyone else. I'd say Greenville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Roanoke are the top spots.

That said, I'm super intrigued by Boise, slightly less so by Colorado/Utah. I think the cold may end up being to much for us to overcome though.

I've been trying to find a good place in California, but still haven't found a place that really wows me.

Vacations are planned to the Southeast in a few weeks. We are also going to plan a vacation to Colorado or Boise sometime during spring break and then more vacations if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.