U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 08:36 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,773,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
how can you possibly know how every EUropean perceives Americans. you provided zero evidence for your claims.

Europeans must not have much of a life if they are sitting around thinking about how many calories Americans consume. why would they even care. i don't think about Europeans at all.

you guys act like every European eats healthy, exercises, has a perfect body, etc. it is so absurd. I googled 'Europe' and 'obesity epidemic' and got a ton of hits.

EUrope has a lot of problems right now with all the immigrants coming, lot of violence and terrorism but they sitting around in judgement of the US regarding gun violence? And it seems like most of the gun violence takes place in cities outside of the south, like Chicago, in states with strict gun laws.
You are taking hyperbolic rhetoric, used to illustrate a point, far too literally and getting all triggered. Take a deep breath and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 08:37 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,025,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You are taking hyperbolic rhetoric, used to illustrate a point, far too literally and getting all triggered. Take a deep breath and move on.
You are actually the one being defensive. I said that you made an absurd statement and you agree with that by calling it hyperbole. What's the problem? I guarantee every time somebody disagrees with you, you say they are triggered. What point did you illustrate if Europeans really don't think KKK and BLM are at war with each other outside of Walmart? If your poitn was to say that they think there is a lot of racism in America, why can't you just say that? Why did you need to use hyperbole, fictional wars between KKK and BLM? in my mind, there is a big difference between non-violent racism and wars between groups like BLM and KKK.

The whole triggered thing means that the person doesn't think other people have freedom of speech. WHen have I said you can't express what you want to say? You are telling me to 'move on' because you want me to shut up. So you are the one who is triggered.

Do you have a negative or positive view of Europeans? I could understand you using that hyperbole if you were making fun of Europeans but your post came across as though you have a positive view of Europeans.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-11-2016 at 09:36 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 09:58 PM

626 posts, read 576,800 times
Quote:
so you make a point using a totally unrealistic situation that no mildy informed person would believe? ok then.

it seems to me you are confirming that Europeans look down their noses at Americans which is one of the negative stereotypes about Europeans. now, I believe you do that, but I don't think i believe all EUropeans do. your premise is you are the model European. The way you perceive thing is the way all Europeans do. I'm skeptical about that.

Looking at the UK specifically, I would expect most who supported Brexit to be more positive about the US than those who wanted to remain in the EU.

What makes you think I do that? If you knew anything about me, you'd realise that I have a pretty positive view of US for the most part.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:03 PM

You previously said: Eh, in my experience, he's spot on. Even more intelligent people here generally view America like that to some degree. Perception of the south itself is even worse.

Here's part of what he said: but the rest of America is just one big hoe down with bullets flying and fat people with untreated diabetes shooting each other in line at WalMart while race riots between the KKK and BLM are going on in the background.

i'm confused as to how you say he is spot on but then say you have a positive view of America. You said 'even more intelligent' Europeans view America like that to some degree, and I assume that you consider yourself intelligent.

Are you saying that is the majority view but you don't hold that view?

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-11-2016 at 10:25 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 10:29 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,771,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc1 View Post
I'm going California.

California is the American ideal outside of America.
California. In other countries people's eyes light up when you mention California.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:35 PM

70 posts, read 88,538 times
I would have said ny; from manhatten to buffalo, but after the most recent election I would say Arkansas

Old 12-11-2016, 11:53 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,404,856 times
California
New York
Pennsylvania ('Keystone State' bordering 3 regions)
Florida

Old 12-12-2016, 12:15 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,571,677 times
For history Texas because of the wild west and cowboys, poker, dancehall girls, gunslingers etc.

No state is really admired that much overseas, most people just talk about "Americans", the nation. Europeans may see florida beaches or hollywood and california and celebrities and talk about the weather and beaches but thats just tourism. I dont think most people really talk much about american "states". Just " America "

Old 12-12-2016, 09:33 AM

626 posts, read 576,800 times
Quote:
You previously said: Eh, in my experience, he's spot on. Even more intelligent people here generally view America like that to some degree. Perception of the south itself is even worse.

Here's part of what he said: but the rest of America is just one big hoe down with bullets flying and fat people with untreated diabetes shooting each other in line at WalMart while race riots between the KKK and BLM are going on in the background.

i'm confused as to how you say he is spot on but then say you have a positive view of America. You said 'even more intelligent' Europeans view America like that to some degree, and I assume that you consider yourself intelligent.

Are you saying that is the majority view but you don't hold that view?
Yep. Don't know what's confusing here. I was simplying confirming the OP was right based on how I usually hear America discussed here. It says nothing about my own views.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Yep. Don't know what's confusing here. I was simplying confirming the OP was right based on how I usually hear America discussed here. It says nothing about my own views.
ok. that doesn't speak well for Brits if true. I'm remain skeptical about your claim though. I don't think a majority of Brits view Americans that way.

also think ridiculing peole with weight issues, and people who shop at Walmart, is childish, and trying to link obesity to shopping at Walmart is so dumb.

i did a google search and it looks like only EUropeans country that Walmart has some stores in is the UK, and I doubt there are many Walmarts in the UK, so why would Europeans think of Walmart when they think of Americans.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-12-2016 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or