U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:40 AM

1,851 posts, read 1,477,680 times

Advertisements

Illinois is a microcosm of the U.S. I believe the demographics of IL are most similar to the demographics of the U.S. as a whole. If we're talking from a demographic perspective, I'd say Illinois. Otherwise you could make cases for California and NYS. I think Texas is too polarizing and caught up in being Texas to represent the U.S. as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 PM

412 posts, read 306,313 times
Illinois, Ohio, Virginia.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:54 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Climate aside, I think that Ohio represents the BEST of the U.S and California represents the WORST. I have lived in both.
I'm not a fan of the California mentality myself (by that I mean, pretentious stuck up liberals, which aren't unique to California but grow like weeds there) but really... have you been to Mississippi?

Old 12-13-2016, 02:02 PM

448 posts, read 390,749 times
I would say Missouri, Ohio is a good choice also.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:12 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,225,211 times
You could go various different directions, because no single state is really reflective of the country as a whole. Certain states do exemplify various aspects though. California and Florida are probably the most known states as far as the outside world is concerned due to their theme parks, beaches, and cities like LA and Miami. New York is home to our best known city, and upstate NY's Rust Belt cities would be reflective of the issues plaguing many American cities today. Illinois, from a demographic standpoint, most matches the US' current demographics as a whole. The list goes on.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:17 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,512,012 times
I think Florida and Texas might be best. All Americans are well represented in those states. Texas is considerably more religious than America as a whole though, so I'll nod to Florida.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,394,055 times
Ohio/North Carolina- Both seem to fit the mix of old and the new. Neither are too red or too blue. Growing Some old economies and new economies.

Pennslvania fit's here as well.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:43 PM

920 posts, read 1,016,128 times
The incarceration capital of the World = U.S.
The incarceration capital of the U.S. = Louisiana

State that shouldn't represent the U.S. globally = Louisiana

Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 PM

135 posts, read 94,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
gun rights and country music and sweet and fried foods are popular throughout the country. i'm not sure why you associate that with exclusvie to the south. i'm really getting tired of people trying to make out obesity out as something linked to being a southerner.
Those things aren't exclusive to the south but they are definitely more common inside of the south than outside of it, which is why they get associated with that region. It's like your post on page one. Hispanics, Asians and liberals are not exclusive to California, yet you attributed all of those things to that state. Why? Because you likely recognize them to be more prevalent there than maybe anywhere else. This is no different, stop being so sensitive

Old 12-15-2016, 08:03 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,001,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
Those things aren't exclusive to the south but they are definitely more common inside of the south than outside of it, which is why they get associated with that region. It's like your post on page one. Hispanics, Asians and liberals are not exclusive to California, yet you attributed all of those things to that state. Why? Because you likely recognize them to be more prevalent there than maybe anywhere else. This is no different, stop being so sensitive
you h aven't provided any evidence of your claim. For example, support for gun rights in Wyoming and other mountain west states is less than in the south? GIve me one source for that claim. You are speculating but then sneeering at me as being sensitive. Why do you have to be contentious about it?

the obesity stats are per capita stats, and they are based on limited telephone surveys, not medical records for every resident in the state. Huge populated states like NY and Cal have a higher number of obesity people because they have more people total. If a state has a larger number of obese people, it has a greater obesity problem.
\

It is easy to factcheck my claim about California. So it is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or