U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:31 PM

1,325 posts, read 1,120,592 times

Advertisements

Wow, this is a really hard one.

Oh wait, it's not. California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 05:08 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Wow, this is a really hard one.

Oh wait, it's not. California.
How is California representative of the US? It's demographics are out of line with that of the US as a whole and its politics are notably to the left.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:55 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,897,432 times
Texas.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:21 AM

14,091 posts, read 16,121,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
gun rights and country music and sweet and fried foods are popular throughout the country. i'm not sure why you associate that with exclusvie to the south. i'm really getting tired of people trying to make out obesity out as something linked to being a southerner.
Well, it is.

Going around California it's really amazing how quickly it changes. I was born in the San Joaquin Valley which has about the same obesity rates the South does. In contrast, San Francisco's obesity rate is literally a third of what it is in most of the Central Valley or the South. In other words, I can go less than 100 miles and go from being one of the fatter people in the area to one of the skinnier people. The contrast between moving between areas such as San Francisco where most people are a healthy weight to the Central Valley or the South where being healthy weight is less common than being obese is quite extreme. The trimmer third of the Central Valley (Sacramento Valley) is about half way in between, excluding Sacramento County itself which because it's gotten significantly poorer as the middle class has fled to Placer and El Dorado is nearly as fat as the San Joaquin Valley is.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:33 AM

14,091 posts, read 16,121,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
How is California representative of the US? It's demographics are out of line with that of the US as a whole and its politics are notably to the left.
California globally has a much stronger cultural presence globally than anything except perhaps New York. So, depends what you mean. If you mean what does the world think America is like, it's some combination of California Hollywood and the Deep South Appalachian hill billies. They're both stereotypes that don't even really represent what it's like in the Deep South or in California. As far as accurately representing it, probably more someplace like Ohio or Missoura.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:50 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,516,878 times
I know California is by far the most populous, but I don't think it represents the country the best. California has way more Asians and Hispanics, far fewer African Americans and non-Hispanic white people than the country as a whole. It's also way more left leaning.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:07 PM

4,824 posts, read 5,387,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
You could go various different directions, because no single state is really reflective of the country as a whole. New York is home to our best known city, and upstate NY's Rust Belt cities would be reflective of the issues plaguing many American cities today. Illinois, from a demographic standpoint, most matches the US' current demographics as a whole.

This looks good.

It amazes me anyone's saying Florida or California.
Yes they're known globally, but they're both full of nut jobs and don't represent the country has a whole whatsoever.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:14 PM

5,719 posts, read 3,668,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
how do you know how Europeans view Americans? because i don't think intelligent Europeans have this view of America as you described: "but the rest of America is just one big hoe down with bullets flying and fat people with untreated diabetes shooting each other in line at WalMart while race riots between the KKK and BLM are going on in the background".
The Europeans that I've met (which, admittedly, is a small sample) do have a perception of America as being populated by gun-totin' cowboys. And yes, they picture the country as being very car-centric and filled with big-box stores. They tend to think that they are a bit smarter and more cultured than we are, but they are uniformly impressed with our friendliness and hospitality.

But hey, stereotypes work in both directions. As my German friend told me, after she had gotten to know this country better, "I won't think that all Americans are cowboys if you won't think that all Germans are Nazis." (For the record, she doesn't think that way, and neither do I.)

I've known quite a few Asians, including many who are newcomers to the U.S., and it's kind of fun watching them come to terms with America. Everything here is bigger than what they're used to: the people, the houses, the cars, the highways, the stores, the distances between cities, the landscape, the portion sizes in restaurants . . . everything. The ones I've known have also been impressed with Americans' hospitality, and with our propensity to engage in volunteerism.

Now, to the OP's question. To me, the state that is most representative of how the country really is, is Ohio. But the state that is most representative of how foreigners perceive the country to be is California. And the state whose residents most closely match the stereotype of what Americans as a whole are like, is surely Texas.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:40 PM

627 posts, read 274,961 times
I'll nominate Virginia.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:01 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,516,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
This looks good.

It amazes me anyone's saying Florida or California.
Yes they're known globally, but they're both full of nut jobs and don't represent the country has a whole whatsoever.
Every state has nutjobs and every state has mostly sane people who work and do normal things. What an ignorant comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or