Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:54 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc1 View Post
I'm going California.

California is the American ideal outside of America.
While California might be the most desirable, it definitly is not the most representative of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 11:09 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
While California might be the most desirable, it definitly is not the most representative of the USA.
Most desirable? I would say Massachusetts or Minnesota would be the most desirable in terms of states. California has too much poverty and inequality to be the most desirable state, as well as one of the worst school systems in the country.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:38 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I would say California was more representative of the country as a whole a few decades ago. Demographics there have changed significantly since the 1990s.

Today, I would say four states. Ohio, New York, Florida, and Texas.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:46 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Illinois. Has a huge city, regular sized cities, countryside, Mississippi river. All American.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:22 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,926,636 times
Climate aside, I think that Ohio represents the BEST of the U.S and California represents the WORST. I have lived in both.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Many Europeans who when describing what they consider 'typically American' describe (stereotypical) characteristics of the American South.

Hollywood and its depiction of a certain privileged southern California lifestyle may be ubiquitous, but it is Southern stereotypes of overly sweet and fried foods, big trucks, obesity, gun culture, country music, and religiousity in the public sphere that are often considered the hallmarks of America.

They basically have taken a parody level view of some sterotypical Southern American traits and assume that the whole country except for perhaps southern Californa, New York City, and a handful of other cities are like that.

I think California, or the stereotye thereof, is rightly considered an influential but non-standard part of the American culture just like other regions and cities like New England and New York, but the rest of America is just one big hoe down with bullets flying and fat people with untreated diabetes shooting each other in line at WalMart while race riots between the KKK and BLM are going on in the background.

But I can't blame them because their 'unbiased' media tells them that is what America is.

As far as what is the one state the best represents America, there is no best answer, but in my opinion a good representative is Ohio. Urban and rural, rust belt and corporate, Democrat and Republican, black and white with increasing diversity, lots of traits of North, South, and Midwest.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 12-11-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 03:06 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
gun rights and country music and sweet and fried foods are popular throughout the country. i'm not sure why you associate that with exclusvie to the south. i'm really getting tired of people trying to make out obesity out as something linked to being a southerner.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
gun rights and country music and sweet and fried foods are popular throughout the country. i'm not sure why you associate that with exclusvie to the south. i'm really getting tired of people trying to make out obesity out as something linked to being a southerner.
I don't. I said it was a stereotype. Maybe you read too fast just skimming for things that offend you.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:15 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
if you understand they aren't linked to the south, why would you make a point of linking it to t he south? for example, gun rights are probably more popular out west in super rural states like Wyoming than in the south but you said support for gun rights is stereotypically southern. it seems like if there is a stereotype surrounding guns, it would be centered in states that were part of the 'wild west'.

your point was most America isn't like the south. it doesn't make sense to talk about the 'stereotypical' south unless that is your point. why repeat stereotypes if you don't buy into them.

how do you know how Europeans view Americans? because i don't think intelligent Europeans have this view of America as you described: "but the rest of America is just one big hoe down with bullets flying and fat people with untreated diabetes shooting each other in line at WalMart while race riots between the KKK and BLM are going on in the background".

you also seem to think nobody in Europe has weight issues and obesity and there are no acts of violence over there.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-11-2016 at 03:36 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 03:28 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
We didn't get much attention during the long years of transition away from a "smokestack" economy, but I think Pennsylvania has a strong case, especially when historic factors and the diversity of the present population are figured into the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.