U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do Black Southerners sound like White ones?
Yes - They have distinct variations that give them away 61 85.92%
No - I think everyone in the South sounds the same 10 14.08%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 02:30 PM

29,948 posts, read 27,432,479 times

Advertisements

Typically yes. But the one exception for me tends to be Appalachian Blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 02:32 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,854,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Of course, in any region of the US I could generally tell apart a white person from a black person by their voice.
Well yes but in the South it can become tricky because it's where AAVE originated. Like in Chicago it's super easy because Blacks sound like Mississippi Delta natives in the extreme cases whereas that never happens in Whites. In many cities the Southern carryover followed Blacks and remains to this day.

I think also the most associated White Southern dialect is Upper South which sounds very different than the Black Deep South accent coming from the Gulf.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Typically yes. But the one exception for me tends to be Appalachian Blacks.
What prominent African American communities are in Appalachian? Where?

Can ATL be considered a related Appalachian dialect? It is after all near the Piedmont.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
So you're telling me that if a white person heard a black guy from brooklyn and a black guy from Jackson, MS speak he wouldn't be able to tell the difference in accent?
There are Whites who personally claim they can't just like there are Blacks who personally can't tell the difference between a White Southerner and a White Northerner. I have heard Blacks imitate Whites jokingly of any region and they always just do a very ditzy sounding Lower Midwest accent when imitating Whites. Think a very dumb Cincinnati blonde or something.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:47 PM

48,276 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
At one point Blacks and Whites in Charleston sounded more or less the same (Whites even had the Caribbean sounding long O pronunciations like goat = goh-uht and road = roh-uhd).

Nowadays Charleston Whites sound accentless but Blacks still have that Gullah sound.
Alot of that has to do with migration. Alot of northern Whites have moved to Charleston, and alot of Florida natives have moved to Charleston as well. Remember this too. There were alot of migration from Barbados to South Carolina during the colonial days. That had some influence.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I dunno. But there are Black people who live in Appalachia.

Quote:
Can ATL be considered a related Appalachian dialect? It is after all near the Piedmont.
No. Atlanta is Piedmont, not Appalachian.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:

I live in the Atlanta area. The "Appalachia" influence is basically non-existent until you go into Cherokee County and areas further up in northern Georgia.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I live in the Atlanta area. The "Appalachia" influence is basically non-existent until you go into Cherokee County and areas further up in northern Georgia.
And even in Cherokee County, you've gotta go all the way up in Ball Ground to get that sound. Woodstock and Canton are too suburbanized.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I dunno. But there are Black people who live in Appalachia.

No. Atlanta is Piedmont, not Appalachian.
That is true. There are Blacks that live in Appalachia. Believe it or not, Pittsburgh is more part of Appalachia than Atlanta is. And alot of people don't want to admit that. Pittsburgh is a northern city. For that reason, there are those who don't want to consider Pittsburgh part of Appalachia.

Asheville has a sizable Black population. Pittsburgh is 1/4 Black.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
And even in Cherokee County, you've gotta go all the way up in Ball Ground to get that sound. Woodstock and Canton are too suburbanized.
Pretty much. I've been in Woodstock. Feels similar to Acworth and Kennesaw. Canton feels a bit more like Appalachia though. Waleska is where I really start to feel it. I have never been TO Ball Ground. Been through it on the way to Tennessee.

Atlanta has no Appalachian influence of any kind. Atlanta has more in common with Charlotte and Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or