Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do Black Southerners sound like White ones?
Yes - They have distinct variations that give them away 61 84.72%
No - I think everyone in the South sounds the same 11 15.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I understand that in different phenotypes things like oral cavity vary but in terms of ethnic groups they don't. Like, can you tell an Amerindian Latino apart from a European descended one? Or African? Because it is true that Blacks speak as lower registers but a lot of that could be carryover from West African languages.

Also when you consider that physically speaking many Indians have the same oral cavity size as Europeans, how do you propose they would sound differently? Sounds like a neat theory but i doubt you can tell in highly Americanized populations especially between Whites and Asians whom have a smaller oral cavity variance than say, Blacks and Asians.
I've rarely been wrong.
I am of Indian descent and lived in an international community in another Asian country growing up, so maybe my ear is more tuned to it.
I also speak 5 languages and can pick up new ones super easy.
Finally (and super-embarrassing), as I speak to any person, I inadvertently start mimicking their accent, inflection, and word choice.

I can hear things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 PM

431 posts, read 521,903 times
Quote:
Didn't most Pittsburgh Blacks move there from the South, though? They don't have the traditional caught-cot merger, down=dahn Pittsburgh accent
Pretty sure all African Americans moved from the south. So most blacks in Pittsburgh are originally from the south just like LA just like Chicago, ect.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:25 PM

467 posts, read 352,855 times
In my limited experience, a lot of Blacks speak exactly like Whites, and a lot of Blacks are readily identifiable as Black by their pronunciation ("accent"), regardless of the words. A handful of Blacks may be identifiable regardless of their pronunciation - I believe that James Earl Jones may be an example, although I would be interested in hearing whether others share this opinion.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:31 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
I can definitely tell them apart with little difficulty. I'm sure there are examples however of people who are a bit more difficult to tell.

For instance, take an adopted black child and have them raised in a white neighborhood, by white parents, I don't think that their accent would differ much if at all. Same in the reverse scenario.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:44 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Pretty sure all African Americans moved from the south. So most blacks in Pittsburgh are originally from the south just like LA just like Chicago, ect.
True. I was just saying that Pittsburgh is an Appalachian dialect that tends to be only spoken by Whites. Some cities whether Appalachian or not have distinct racial variances. It just seems to be the prevailing thought in this thread that Appalachian Blacks sound like Whites. Someone then brought up Pittsburgh which is an Appalachian city, but I believe the Pittsburgh linguistic situation is very much racially varied.

In my opinion you're more likely to hear a Black person from Philly sound more White before you hear a Black person from Pittsburgh sound White.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,362 times
Quote:
Appalachian Latinos? That's a first.

Is Asheville Appalachian? It would be interesting to hear what those hillbilly hippies sound like.

Pittsburgh is an Appalachian city where only the White population has a distinctively unique dialect heard only there. I never ever saw Blacks in Pittsburgh who spoke that odd almost English/ Scottish hybrid accent. The Pittsburgh accent seems to be really a White thing.
Yep, I heard some 2nd generation Mexican Americans who were born and raised in them hills north of Knoxville and they sounded hillbilly (Randy Moss type of accent)....No trace of a Latin background. I would think that Asheville's Appalachian.

Quote:
Now the ATL White accent to me isn't Appalachian but it also differs a lot from the Southern accents in general. It has a very Midwest nasal quality and the speakers therein could fit in lots of the Lower Midwest or the Mid-Atlantic. Like if a White person from ATL told me they were from Ohio or Kansas I would just say "ok".

But the Black ATL accent is super drawled out and country sounding IMO. T.I. sounds like a good Ole boy and most ATL Blacks I find have a very stereotypical Southern drawl. I don't know why the Whites don't. But then again the same thing happened to Charleston Whites who went from sounding Irish Caribbean to sounding Midwestern all of a sudden. Or how NOLA whites at one point sounded French and now they sound like big city Yankees.
That Black ATL accent that you hear is the hood accent, popular in Bankhead and areas like that (enunciation is optional with this one). Transplants and their children tend not to adopt this accent. Black Atlantans would tend to be partially non-rhotic (or full blown) which is trait that Appalachian accents lack as you know.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:50 PM

977 posts, read 1,011,368 times
Can't you tell white and black people apart just by their speaking 98% of time???

Old 12-14-2016, 12:41 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times
Generally yes. Most White Southerners have rhotic accents while most Black Southerners don't.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:20 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Yep, I heard some 2nd generation Mexican Americans who were born and raised in them hills north of Knoxville and they sounded hillbilly (Randy Moss type of accent)....No trace of a Latin background. I would think that Asheville's Appalachian.

That Black ATL accent that you hear is the hood accent, popular in Bankhead and areas like that (enunciation is optional with this one). Transplants and their children tend not to adopt this accent. Black Atlantans would tend to be partially non-rhotic (or full blown) which is trait that Appalachian accents lack as you know.
I think there actually are a lot of places in the South, including Appalachia, with growing Mexican populations.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:53 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Can't you tell white and black people apart just by their speaking 98% of time???
Yes but in the South it gets tricky because African American English originates there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.