U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:06 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,129,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
If Minneapolis annexed the nearest additional 1,000,000 people, would it suddenly be more deserving of those things?

City limits are about administrative matters only. They're not terribly relevant to how cities (in a broader sense) operate.
No? Read the op.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 08:21 PM

56,766 posts, read 81,102,256 times
I guess I can throw out Syracuse NY. It has the 6th biggest shopping center in the US.

It has a major University in Syracuse University, with SUNY-ESF next door and Le Moyne College on the outer East Side of the city.

It has SUNY-Upstate Medical Center, an academic hospital on University Hill. There is a children's hospital, a VA medical center and Crouse Hospital also on University Hill. There is a Catholic hospital just north of Downtown and another hospital barely outside of city limits to the SW. There is also a community college not too far outside of the city to the SW.

There are 2 legitimate Downtown districts with nightlife(Armory and Hanover Squares), as well as a couple near the University(Marshall/Crouse and Westcott). There's also Tipperary Hill with its pubs and Little Italy/North Salina which has some restaurants.

It has an opera, professional theater(Syracuse Stage), ballet and a symphony that formed after the former pro symphony disbanded(Symphoria). There are other arts based offerings as well.

There's major Division 1 college sports, as well as AHL Hockey and International Baseball. Can't forget pro indoor soccer.

Decent bus system, with better coverage in the core around University Hill and Downtown due to Connective Corridor line, as well as around main

Has an extensive city park system that includes 2 9 hole golf courses, 4 ice rinks, a zoo, multiple swimming pools(about 6 or so) and more.

Annually is the NYS Fair just west of the city every mid August until Labor Day, which is one of the biggest state fairs in the country.

It has plenty of cultural festivals that occur during the warmer months in Downtown just about every or every other weekend. It also claims to have the largest free Jazz Festival in the Northeast.

This doesn't include the County park system(except for the zoo, which is ran by the County). They claim to run the largest Christmas light show in the Northeast(Lights on the Lake).

I believe out of the top 100 metros, only about 6 or 7 have smaller Center cities in terms of size(Syracuse is only 25 square miles, the 82 biggest metro in the US and the 5th biggest city in NYS). Its metro also doesn't include 2 counties adjacent to the central county. So, that could be a little misleading and would put it about 10 spots higher if included.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:00 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,686,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
No? Read the op.
I'm aware of that. The OP seems to think it's relevant (look who it is) but it isn't.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:02 AM

7,744 posts, read 4,592,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm aware of that. The OP seems to think it's relevant (look who it is) but it isn't.
And if we were limiting ourselves to cities proper, Boston, Atlanta and Miami would all be better choices than those we've discussed.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:34 AM

Providence and Hartford are in a similar vein as Salt Lake City as well, where the city proper isn't that big in terms of population and in both cases land size. Both are in metros well over 1 million people and have other urban communities within those metros.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:29 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,845,639 times
100,000-125,000
I have been to four cities in this population group. Ithaca, New York stands out easily over the rest. Obviously there is an enormous university presenxe and educated populace, but the arts and music scenes are multiple-times higher than what you'd find in cities of similar size. Ditto for the food and recreation. Ithaca's biggest demerit is that it is relatively isolated, but it is dense, urban, and has the amenities of a city 2-3 times larger...

175,000-250,000
I've been to five cities in this population group. This one is a bit more difficult to decipher because three of the cities I would say are overall equal in scale--Binghamton, NY; Charlottesville, VA; Macon, GA. They have some commonalities that are clear as well as some different strengths, but overall I'd say they are on the same level. So maybe I'll say the two cities that definitely seem to punch below the weight class is Gainesville, GA and Florence, SC...

250,000-500,000
I've been to five cities in this population group. Myrtle Beach is an outlier and really isnt all that great, but many people love it there. I definitely would say that Fayetteville, NC and Spartanburg, SC punch below the belt here...

500,000-1,000,000
Been to nine cities here, and without question, I will tell you that Albany, NY has the persona of a larger city. Albany has a better urban fabric than most cities in its group, without a doubt has a head up on cultural amenities, etc. This is the easiest choice I could make, as a former resident, and being that I've spent time in more cities of this size than in any other group. Easy call...

The rest of the cities in this group are all very competitive with each other. Like, @ck mentioned Syracuse, but on total, I find that Syracuse doesn't offer anything more than I'd get in Knoxville or Durham. Not that it offers less on a total scale (because it doesn't), but the other cities in this group are closer to each other than either is to Albany...

1,000,000-2,000,000
I've been to seven cities in this group. Nashville will probably get the advantage but I feel similar to Nashville as I feel about Myrtle Beach. It's got a built-in advantage that stems from one very well-known industry. Otherwise, while it excels in other areas, I don't think it's accurate to say it's offerings are head and shoulders over the rest...

I'd also say that Hampton Roads, Virginia rather underwhelms in this population group, and you could likely add Memphis to that list as well...

All cities 2-million plus I've been to (9-10) are all more or less right for their size!

Old 12-13-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
100,000-125,000
I have been to four cities in this population group. Ithaca, New York stands out easily over the rest. Obviously there is an enormous university presenxe and educated populace, but the arts and music scenes are multiple-times higher than what you'd find in cities of similar size. Ditto for the food and recreation. Ithaca's biggest demerit is that it is relatively isolated, but it is dense, urban, and has the amenities of a city 2-3 times larger...

175,000-250,000
I've been to five cities in this population group. This one is a bit more difficult to decipher because three of the cities I would say are overall equal in scale--Binghamton, NY; Charlottesville, VA; Macon, GA. They have some commonalities that are clear as well as some different strengths, but overall I'd say they are on the same level. So maybe I'll say the two cities that definitely seem to punch below the weight class is Gainesville, GA and Florence, SC...

250,000-500,000
I've been to five cities in this population group. Myrtle Beach is an outlier and really isnt all that great, but many people love it there. I definitely would say that Fayetteville, NC and Spartanburg, SC punch below the belt here...

500,000-1,000,000
Been to nine cities here, and without question, I will tell you that Albany, NY has the persona of a larger city. Albany has a better urban fabric than most cities in its group, without a doubt has a head up on cultural amenities, etc. This is the easiest choice I could make, as a former resident, and being that I've spent time in more cities of this size than in any other group. Easy call...

The rest of the cities in this group are all very competitive with each other. Like, @ck mentioned Syracuse, but on total, I find that Syracuse doesn't offer anything more than I'd get in Knoxville or Durham. Not that it offers less on a total scale (because it doesn't), but the other cities in this group are closer to each other than either is to Albany...

1,000,000-2,000,000
I've been to seven cities in this group. Nashville will probably get the advantage but I feel similar to Nashville as I feel about Myrtle Beach. It's got a built-in advantage that stems from one very well-known industry. Otherwise, while it excels in other areas, I don't think it's accurate to say it's offerings are head and shoulders over the rest...

I'd also say that Hampton Roads, Virginia rather underwhelms in this population group, and you could likely add Memphis to that list as well...

All cities 2-million plus I've been to (9-10) are all more or less right for their size!
In the 250,000-500,000 range, I'd say that Lansing MI is pretty good. 2 law schools, a medical school, One of the biggest universities in the country, 2 symphony orchestras(Lansing and Michigan State), multiple performing arts centers, major D1 sports and minor league baseball, 2 legitimate Downtown with a couple of other solid districts(Old Town and REO Town), a good bus system with very good coverage particularly in the East Lansing portion of the area and a couple of malls with other retail options in the area.

Below 100,000, Corning NY may be up for consideration due to having Fortune 500 Corning Incorporated, a hospital that is a part of the very good Guthrie Health system, it has an acclaimed Downtown(Market Street/Gaffer District), it has a couple of good museums(Corning Museum of Glass and the Rockwell Museum(affiliated with the Smithsonian)), a symphony, a community college and multiple festivals. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EraE9BXGBjY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-13-2016 at 08:42 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 06:17 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,315,503 times
I always thought that it was impressive that Pittsburgh, PA has 3 major sports teams. The city is only ~300K and the MSA is only ~2 mil

Old 12-14-2016, 06:23 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,407,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I always thought that it was impressive that Pittsburgh, PA has 3 major sports teams. The city is only ~300K and the MSA is only ~2 mil
At its peak though the city had a population of almost 700K. So historically it's been a lot larger and more influential than its current size suggests.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:06 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,315,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
At its peak though the city had a population of almost 700K. So historically it's been a lot larger and more influential than its current size suggests.
OK that makes a lot of sense. I know that it has seen better days, but I didn't realize that it used to be that much bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or