Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is the most futuristic and hi-tech?
Atlanta 5 6.10%
Seattle 16 19.51%
San Diego 2 2.44%
Boston 3 3.66%
San Francisco/San Jose 5 6.10%
New York City 12 14.63%
Los Angeles 4 4.88%
Chicago 13 15.85%
Washington D.C. 1 1.22%
Miami 2 2.44%
Houston 6 7.32%
Dallas 5 6.10%
Minneapolis/St. Paul 7 8.54%
Other (specify) 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:27 AM

6,191 posts, read 11,800,335 times

Advertisements

What city have you been to or do you think looks the most futuristic, meaning having the most advanced technology as well as the most efficient use of it, also appearing futuristic to the public eye? What are some things you have seen in that city that you haven't seen anywhere else in the U.S. (or not until later)?

I think Atlanta appears the most futuristic, imo. You'll be surprised at some of the hi-tech features you will find in that city, especially in the airport and the MARTA stations and trains. There are also many electronic billboards on the sides of freeways now (so ads can change without someone having to actually climb up there), as well as on signs at the entrance of strip malls.

I've never been to the MSP area, but I heard it's pretty hi-tech there. San Diego, San Jose, Seattle, and Boston are also rated high because of the technology companies, but that's more within the office buildings and not visible as much to the public.

Last edited by SEAandATL; 02-29-2008 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Wanting to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:46 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,149,448 times
Minneapolis has been pushing to develop the most modern downtown in the country and is currently the reigning champion of the most high-tech downtown in the US.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
Chicagoland never fails to amaze me with its high-tech stuff. Im talking about the LED billboards that change adds every minute or so, public transit, E85 gas stations, etc. Heck, even our gas pumps have TVs on them so you can watch TV while you pump gas. Ever been to a McDonalds that is made-to-order, where you sit in lounge chairs with a flat screen TV (and live music entertainment) and wait for your food to be brought out to you on a tray? Or what about hand-dryers that have TVs in them too? Chicago was also rated as having the fastest (tied with Boston) IT field job growth amongst other things. I was at the mall the other day and they have touch-sensitive games displayed on the floor (projected from the ceiling) that you can play with your kids. I know Im missing alot of crazy stuff, but everytime I go somewhere Im just flabbergasted at some of the high-tech stuff I see everywhere.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,446,522 times
Here in Nawth Carolina we're reeeeeeeal futuristic. We got this thang that shows you your order at the Burger King, tells you how much it cost and everything. They just press them buttons, and the thang changes. Hell, some people even pay for they food with a plastic card.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 AM

93 posts, read 87,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
What city have you been to or do you think looks the most futuristic, meaning having the most advanced technology as well as the most efficient use of it, also appearing futuristic to the public eye? What are some things you have seen in that city that you haven't seen anywhere else in the U.S. (or not until later)?

I think Atlanta appears the most futuristic, imo. You'll be surprised at some of the hi-tech features you will find in that city, especially in the airport and the MARTA stations and trains. There are also many electronic billboards on the sides of freeways now (so ads can change without someone having to actually climb up there), as well as on signs at the entrance of strip malls.

I've never been to the MSP area, but I heard it's pretty hi-tech there. San Diego, San Jose, Seattle, and Boston are also rated high because of the technology companies, but that's more within the office buildings and not visible as much to the public.
No offense, but if your impressed with electronic billboards on the side of highways, there's no point in having this conversation. I not quite sure you know what hi-tech is in 2008. You need to get out more. LOL! And by out more, I mean outside the U.S.. Try Germany or Japan. U.S. cities are way behind, when it comes to hi-tech features, compared to other cities all around the world.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,574,956 times
Theres an unicorporated urban area in Washington DC, right across from the Pentagon, called "Crystal City"/Pentagon City (in actuality, its in Arlington Virginia but for all intents and purposes, its still DC).

Though not really skyscrapers, its a collection of glass-and-concrete apartment highrises and office buildings linked together underground via the "Crystal City Underground" which is really an underground city complete with shops, restaraunts, bars, grocery stores, post offices, etc...the area always seemed pretty "futuristic" to me, with its underground mazes, combined with the nonstop airtraffic from Ronald Reagan Airport across the street, and commuters on the metro, it always reminded me of the movie "Total Recall" for some reason.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:49 AM

10,111 posts, read 15,775,145 times
Dallas looks very futuristic with its skyscrapers and architecture. The movie RoboCop actually filmed there as a stand-in for the future.

Los Angeles is also a futuristic looking city. So is Las Vegas.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Dallas looks very futuristic with its skyscrapers and architecture. The movie RoboCop actually filmed there as a stand-in for the future.

Los Angeles is also a futuristic looking city. So is Las Vegas.
Id agree with Vegas, but L.A? How does it look futuristic?

Old 02-29-2008, 12:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,182,277 times
We just had this thread not long ago. I would say none of today's cities look futuristic because we aren't in the future. Its annoying how everybody thinks the future is supposed to be the way its displayed in movies with flying cars and all. As for most technologically advanced? Thats easy, San Francisco, Seattle, and Austin.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:21 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,890,036 times
I really don't see how Boston got all the votes it did. futuristic? Maybe if this is 1500. I went with Seattle which I guess really would've been more futuristic 20 years ago. It's hard to say whats futuristic now because I haven't seen much of the future yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.