Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:08 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I find it interesting that Chicago observes the practice, but Milwaukee doesn't.
Parking is nowhere near being the issue in Milwaukee it is in Chicago. I'm shocked people in Pittsburgh do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 02:12 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
The 48 hour law is misunderstood. It simply says if you mark a spot, the city will not discard your chair or charge you with illegal dumping, for 48 hours. You have no ownership right of the parking spot.

Frankly, the argument that you are entitled to public property, simply because you occupied before the snow began is absurd. Your reward for your labor is the ability to move your car. Nothing more, nothing less.
Lol. You should try & take someone's spot and see what happens...

Old 12-12-2016, 02:18 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Parking is nowhere near being the issue in Milwaukee it is in Chicago. I'm shocked people in Pittsburgh do this.
The city is rather dance and don't form, if not population. There are very few neighborhoods where most of the homes have driveways order. Street parking is at a premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol. You should try & take someone's spot and see what happens...
I've done it many times in Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh. My preferred method is tossing every chair on the block.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
I've actually had a neighbor mark a parking space where I had previously been parked, and did the digging.
The nerve of some people.

The way I see it if you do the digging the space is yours, not some douche canoe's that is too lazy to shovel.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The nerve of some people.

The way I see it if you do the digging the space is yours, not some douche canoe's that is too lazy to shovel.
Everyone on the road who street parked had to dig out their car; they're not lazy. Now that they're looking for a space to park, they have to ignore any space that someone labelled "Mine! Mine!"

760 posts, read 883,028 times
If this is really that big of an issue, why doesn't the city implement a temporary designated parking spot? Say you pay the city $50 for a temporary permit, which would be a short wood stake and a laminated piece of paper, to be able to "legally" park in the same spot during a snow emergency. Then enforce it so that the only legal way to reserve the space would be by using that sign.

Obviously, it would need to be specific to residential streets, and you would have to prove residency on that street.

nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
More rowhouses in Pittsburgh without driveways I'd guess.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
I didn't know anything about this until I moved to south Jersey and watched the Philly news and saw it practiced there.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
It depends on the neighborhood in Chicago. Normally it's in older more established areas (by older I mean a population that's been in the neighborhood a long time) that have some issues with parking, but aren't super high density like along the lakefront.

On the north side I haven't seen the dibs thing going on. Parking is at way too much a premium and so much of the population is young people from elsewhere who moved to the city after college. You can't afford to just have spaces sitting empty when so many people want parking - your "dibs" item will be tossed aside.

In other areas where parking isn't at that much of a premium and the number of cars more equals the number of spaces and it's a more established population - then it works. People will dig out their space and hold it for themselves, but generally there isn't a huge revolving excess of cars looking for those spaces.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:39 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It depends on the neighborhood in Chicago. Normally it's in older more established areas (by older I mean a population that's been in the neighborhood a long time) that have some issues with parking, but aren't super high density like along the lakefront.

On the north side I haven't seen the dibs thing going on. Parking is at way too much a premium and so much of the population is young people from elsewhere who moved to the city after college. You can't afford to just have spaces sitting empty when so many people want parking - your "dibs" item will be tossed aside.

In other areas where parking isn't at that much of a premium and the number of cars more equals the number of spaces and it's a more established population - then it works. People will dig out their space and hold it for themselves, but generally there isn't a huge revolving excess of cars looking for those spaces.
I lived in West Town, and dibs were very much a thing. Maybe not in the lakeside neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.