Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:21 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times

Advertisements

MSA is fine for this discussion.

I don't think of Riverside/San Bernardino, or Norfolk/Va Beach as major metros, regardless of size. On the other hand, I think of Memphis and New Orleans as major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 01:00 PM

431 posts, read 521,903 times
Smallest city I consider major is Portland. Largest city I don't consider major is Jacksonville.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:07 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Going by the common two million standard, and population, of course, Austin is the smallest major metro while Indianapolis is the largest minor metro.

That aside, I also do not think of Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario (4.5M) as a major metro, which seems more like a large suburban region of Los Angeles, for the most part. Besides that, which may be the most obvious, neither Tampa (3.0M) nor Orlando (2.4M) really "sounds" like major cities to me, but that may be because they have always been so overshadowed by Miami in my mind.

There are plenty of metropolitan areas I thought were bigger than they are, based on reputation or name recognition, though I am hesitant to say I thought of them as particularly "major." These include Albany (Throw in all the other "large" cities in Upstate New York), Albuquerque, Bakersfield, Honolulu, and Madison, among others.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:08 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,435 times
By city population

Smallest major city- Miami (441,003)

Largest city that is not major- San Jose (1,026,908), Jacksonville (868,031)

Old 12-13-2016, 01:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Since I go my metro, I consider cities major or non-major by the following criterial.

1) All MSAs above 1.5 million in population are major cities
2) All MSAs below 1 million in population are not major
3) MSAs between 1 and 1.5 million are major or non major depending on what they offer. Cities in that tier that are regional economic and cultural destinations are usually major cities while cities the punch far below their weight or are overshadowed by other cities in the region are non-major. Oklahoma City is the largest non-major city and Salt Lake City is the smallest major one.

For #3, here is how I break it down.

Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI - Major
Jacksonville, FL - Major
Oklahoma City, OK - Non-major
Memphis, TN-MS-AR - Major
Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN - Non-major
Raleigh, NC - Major
Richmond, VA - Major
New Orleans-Metairie, LA - Major
Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT - Major
Salt Lake City, UT - Major
Birmingham-Hoover, AL - Non-major
Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY - Non-major
Rochester, NY - Non-major
Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI - Non-major

Old 12-14-2016, 11:13 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
I think a lot of it comes down to the stature of the primary city of the metro. Raleigh, Norfolk and San Bernardino don't move the needle.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Since I go my metro, I consider cities major or non-major by the following criterial.

3) MSAs between 1 and 1.5 million are major or non major depending on what they offer. Cities in that tier that are regional economic and cultural destinations are usually major cities while cities the punch far below their weight or are overshadowed by other cities in the region are non-major. Oklahoma City is the largest non-major city and Salt Lake City is the smallest major one.

Jacksonville, FL - Major
Raleigh, NC - Major
Richmond, VA - Major
I would argue that Buffalo is a major city. It is the cultural heart of Western NY. It certainly has a national profile; Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Wings, Beef on Weck. Also its weird, Buffalo seems to have a lot of pull over the Rochester area, it almost makes Rochester feel like Worcester or Providence is to Boston, which is impressive because Buffalo really isn't much larger than Rochester.
And also with the Canadians, Buffalo is pretty close to a region of 1.5 million.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:58 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

Jacksonville, FL - Major
Raleigh, NC - Major
Richmond, VA - Major
I would say that OKC, Louisville, and Birmingham are all major cities.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:09 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
Going by MSA, Riverside is easily the largest I don't consider major. Smallest I do consider major is, I think, Honolulu.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:11 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I would argue that Buffalo is a major city. It is the cultural heart of Western NY. It certainly has a national profile; Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Wings, Beef on Weck. Also its weird, Buffalo seems to have a lot of pull over the Rochester area, it almost makes Rochester feel like Worcester or Providence is to Boston, which is impressive because Buffalo really isn't much larger than Rochester.
And also with the Canadians, Buffalo is pretty close to a region of 1.5 million.
With major-league representation in two of the four big U.S. sports, it's pretty hard to argue against Buffalo as a major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.