U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:53 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,461,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Considering what has happened to them in the past half-century, I'd say St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo all qualify. The population losses since 1950 or so make them seem "mid-sized" now, although they may not be regarded as such, in terms of perceptions...
Buffalo is less than half the size of St. Louis and Pittsburgh though, population wise. So that's a strange grouping of metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 12:20 PM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Buffalo is less than half the size of St. Louis and Pittsburgh though, population wise. So that's a strange grouping of metros.
Iím thinking they might have been going by city proper. However, Buffalo is right next to the most concentrated area in Canada in terms of population. So, it is in close proximity to more amenities than people may realize. http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/AssetFactory.aspx?did=10852

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horseshoe

Old 11-07-2017, 02:00 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
Smallest cities I consider major
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Savannah, Georgia
- Birmingham, Alabama

Largest cities I dont consider major

- Reno, Nevada (they even admit themselves they're the "biggest LITTLE city in the world")
- Mobile, Alabama
- Shreveport, Louisiana
- Jackson, Mississippi
- Boise, Idaho
- Amarillo, Texas

Old 11-07-2017, 04:28 PM
MPC

695 posts, read 987,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Savannah, Georgia
- Birmingham, Alabama

- Reno, Nevada (they even admit themselves they're the "biggest LITTLE city in the world")
- Mobile, Alabama
- Shreveport, Louisiana
- Jackson, Mississippi
- Boise, Idaho
- Amarillo, Texas
I wouldn't consider any of those cities major

Old 11-12-2017, 09:42 AM

7,595 posts, read 9,448,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Savannah, Georgia
- Birmingham, Alabama

- Mobile, Alabama
- Shreveport, Louisiana
- Jackson, Mississippi
- Boise, Idaho
- Amarillo, Texas
Not one of these is a major city.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,490,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Not one of these is a major city.
The title of the thread is what you "consider" major. Meaning it's all relative. Feel free to apply your own definition but there's no need to state the above toward another posters opinion.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:22 AM

706 posts, read 513,327 times
It is more a geographical question that a size one. For example, Tucson is fairly populous, but is more of an outlier to Phoenix, so I wouldn't consider it major. Albuquerque, on the other hand, and though similarly sized as Tucson, dominates its region for hundreds of miles in each direction, though it also has a much larger metro than Tucson. And certainly, there are cities far less populous than Albuquerque and Tucson that I would consider major, like Cleveland, Atlanta, Miami, and Salt Lake City.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:11 AM

2,985 posts, read 2,140,548 times
I never dreamed Grand Rapids Metro is aporoximately 1.3 million people. Until the last year or so, for decades I was thinking Grand Rapids was about the same size or little smaller than Fort Wayne and South Bend.

I always thought Toledo and Dayton was at least 1 or 2 tiers larger than Grand Rapids, but apparently, that's not the case as both those metros are less than a million. Grand Rapids metro is about twice the size of of the Toledo metro and about half a million larger than the Dayton metro.

Go figure.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,490,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I never dreamed Grand Rapids Metro is aporoximately 1.3 million people. Until the last year or so, for decades I was thinking Grand Rapids was about the same size or little smaller than Fort Wayne and South Bend.

I always thought Toledo and Dayton was at least 1 or 2 tiers larger than Grand Rapids, but apparently, that's not the case as both those metros are less than a million. Grand Rapids metro is about twice the size of of the Toledo metro and about half a million larger than the Dayton metro.

Go figure.
So Grand Rapids is the smallest city you consider major? Or is Grand Rapids the biggest city you don't consider major?

You often cite your surprise of Grand Rapids metro population. I can't tell if you've actually ever been to Grand Rapids, and if you had was it after say 2011. Or if perhaps you just don't always have a good gage of the feel of a city? If you think South Bend(a city who's metro area contains less than half the residents of GR's urban area) would be relatively the same size.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:38 AM

5,643 posts, read 7,446,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
It is more a geographical question that a size one. For example, Tucson is fairly populous, but is more of an outlier to Phoenix, so I wouldn't consider it major. Albuquerque, on the other hand, and though similarly sized as Tucson, dominates its region for hundreds of miles in each direction, though it also has a much larger metro than Tucson. And certainly, there are cities far less populous than Albuquerque and Tucson that I would consider major, like Cleveland, Atlanta, Miami, and Salt Lake City.
Wrong. ABQ does not have a much larger metro than Tucson. In fact, the Tucson MSA is larger than the ABQ MSA.

2017 Estimates:

Tucson MSA - 1,022,769
ABQ MSA - 910,726
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or