Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:20 AM

29 posts, read 45,685 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to Florida when we retire. As an interracial couple doing internet research, we have not seen any mixed couples on any of the web sited for 55+ communities. I have also read on these boards that people of color are very few in these communities as a whole.
East or west coast, central, northern or southern, where do you think we will find more diversity?

I do not have to be in love with all of my neighbors. As long as we are respected, that is all I can ask for.
I don't care if my neighborhood is all black, all white, all Hispanic or any combination of any and all ethnic groups. A safe, clean area where I can find a home around $200k and pleasant people must exist.

I am not looking to go on a crusade or break down any barriers. What I don't want is for someone to be breaking into my home, and have neighbors who close their curtains and turn a blind eye. I would not do that to my neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Why does being interracially married make a difference? You've make a lot of assumptions in your OP and some of them take for granted bad things happening to you because of your marriage.

Oftentimes, things happen because people make a big deal out of something that isn't. Obviously, as evidenced by your post, you think it is a big deal. Perhaps a different perspective is in order.

Usually, the barriers you mentioned are put up by the people who say they exist.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:13 PM

299 posts, read 263,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM fitter View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to Florida when we retire. As an interracial couple doing internet research, we have not seen any mixed couples on any of the web sited for 55+ communities. I have also read on these boards that people of color are very few in these communities as a whole. East or west coast, central, northern or southern, where do you think we will find more diversity? I do not have to be in love with all of my neighbors. As long as we are respected, that is all I can ask for.I don't care if my neighborhood is all black, all white, all Hispanic or any combination of any and all ethnic groups. A safe, clean area where I can find a home around $200k and pleasant people must exist. I am not looking to go on a crusade or break down any barriers. What I don't want is for someone to be breaking into my home, and have neighbors who close their curtains and turn a blind eye. I would not do that to my neighbors.
God bless you both. I wish the U.S. had learned its lesson about hatred of other colors through all its been through. You're welcome here with us in the Elizabethton, TN area, but there is a lot of prejudice in TN. We are white, but truly appreciate the image of God in every person, whatever their color. (I hate to say "race" because we are all the same under the skin! It's "melanin" -- not magnificence!) We've had Oriental, Latino, Black, and other colors of friends...as well as whites. With each we've learned something new, and felt enriched.
California seems more open regarding acceptance of people of all colors. We have friends in Maryland who don't find it easy being Black. Others have said skin color isn't a real problem in New England--but look at the winters!
No place seems to be cheap anymore; altho' I think you could get a modest stick-built for $200K on a parcel of land...certainly a really nice mobile/module home on an acre.
Please let us know what you find!
Your friends at NT Fellowship

Old 02-05-2015, 12:16 PM

299 posts, read 263,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why does being interracially married make a difference? You've make a lot of assumptions in your OP and some of them take for granted bad things happening to you because of your marriage. Oftentimes, things happen because people make a big deal out of something that isn't. Obviously, as evidenced by your post, you think it is a big deal. Perhaps a different perspective is in order. Usually, the barriers you mentioned are put up by the people who say they exist.
I'm sure you feel, Mack, that what you believe is true. And it may be in some cases.
Unfortunately, we've seen that's not the case.
Over our nearly 110 years of living (my wife and I put together), we've seen people of other colors and mix-color couples rejected thoroughly by whites/Blacks/etc. even if they were very nice, quiet living people. America is not as whole-hearted as some of its individuals.
Some places are more accepting than others, but there is still a struggle in many states.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
You find it obviously in larger cities; that is no secret. But you'll find areas within where one or the other is not equally accepted. Or you can look where culture plays the largest role such as in many more rural communities. In all human relations similar life style over comes many other cultural differences is what I have found.

Last edited by texdav; 02-05-2015 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 01:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM fitter View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to Florida when we retire. As an interracial couple doing internet research, we have not seen any mixed couples on any of the web sited for 55+ communities. I have also read on these boards that people of color are very few in these communities as a whole.
East or west coast, central, northern or southern, where do you think we will find more diversity?

I do not have to be in love with all of my neighbors. As long as we are respected, that is all I can ask for.
I don't care if my neighborhood is all black, all white, all Hispanic or any combination of any and all ethnic groups. A safe, clean area where I can find a home around $200k and pleasant people must exist.

I am not looking to go on a crusade or break down any barriers. What I don't want is for someone to be breaking into my home, and have neighbors who close their curtains and turn a blind eye. I would not do that to my neighbors.
Are you saying you have not seen photos of interracial couples advertised on the communities website? And your calling racism.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:20 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Are you saying you have not seen photos of interracial couples advertised on the communities website? And your calling racism.
It was only about ten years ago that interracial couples started showing up on American advertising of any kind. Normally to show that they were the young hip company while the old stogie one had a same race couple. See the Microsoft ads versus Apple as Microsoft tried to change the public images. There are more couples who meet the age requirements who also happen to be in multiracial relationships coming everyday, their numbers however will be lowest of the general population as race and ethnic purity of families means even less to younger generations then it does to the baby boomers now going into the elder communities. With the internet however we hear more noise about it more because the speaker doesn't have to wear a klansman's hood, a Fruit of Islam hat or Nazi tattoos and is anonymous. I predict that before you see multiethnic couples being specifically targeted by marketers of retirement communities you will see same sex couples marketed too.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It was only about ten years ago that interracial couples started showing up on American advertising of any kind. Normally to show that they were the young hip company while the old stogie one had a same race couple. See the Microsoft ads versus Apple as Microsoft tried to change the public images. There are more couples who meet the age requirements who also happen to be in multiracial relationships coming everyday, their numbers however will be lowest of the general population as race and ethnic purity of families means even less to younger generations then it does to the baby boomers now going into the elder communities. With the internet however we hear more noise about it more because the speaker doesn't have to wear a klansman's hood, a Fruit of Islam hat or Nazi tattoos and is anonymous. I predict that before you see multiethnic couples being specifically targeted by marketers of retirement communities you will see same sex couples marketed too.
Most likely but why would one assume there are no multiracial couples living in the community or that the homeowners are racist just because the ad doesn't depict multi raciacouples

Old 02-05-2015, 06:53 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
2mares
From my perspective it would appear that you are misreading the op's intent &/or putting words into his mouth that he did not utter.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:05 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
This may help: http://www.city-data.com/forum/38289830-post21.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.