U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 05:30 PM

447 posts, read 300,913 times

Advertisements

I was born and lived my entire life in the United States of America. I don't think it's just me, but in recent years it seems driving in this country has become considerably worse at a fast pace. I've been driving since 1996. A lot of places I drive it seems like someone is always trying to bully me, or others on the road. It seems a good amount of places I go someone tries to speed up as I pass them and attempts to not let me pass; others, try to drive me off the road for no reason and I see people riding 1 inch or closer from someones bumper on a two lane highway with nobody around and can pass them at any time, but does not. People sitting in the left lane on interstates for miles and not passing the vehicle along side of them. Many not using turn signals at all. Wondering what the heck is wrong with so many people in this country? Is it drugs? Is it something else? Why so many idiots now everywhere? It seemed like years ago there was not many issues or road rage driving from what I saw and within the last few years every time we are the road we see road rage. It's to the point where I'd consider moving to another country because of the poor education and a lot of people in this country seem to have no respect for anybody any more at all and I'm not only referring to on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 06:08 PM

1,187 posts, read 589,059 times
That's exactly how people in Denver drove before the police started cracking down on aggressive driving in the late 90s. Indianapolis drivers are pretty polite--only two of them have been rude to me in the year I've lived here, and they were both at the drive-through. Maybe they were just hangry.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:21 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,691,410 times
As long as you stop at crosswalks (i.e unmarked intersections) I won't have to bang on your car.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:23 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,170,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
That's exactly how people in Denver drove before the police started cracking down on aggressive driving in the late 90s. Indianapolis drivers are pretty polite--only two of them have been rude to me in the year I've lived here, and they were both at the drive-through. Maybe they were just hangry.
They do drive fast in Denver and Phoenix for some reason, in Colorado you can drive 90 plus and get passed by old ladies.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
They do drive fast in Denver ...
At 3AM, maybe. There's generally too much traffic to go very fast.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:29 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,170,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
At 3AM, maybe. There's generally too much traffic to go very fast.
I drove super fast in Colorado traveling around and never ran much traffic although it was mostly in the summer and on the weekends.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:34 PM

5,595 posts, read 3,733,916 times
Road rage is nothing new, really. I have been driving since 1976, and it has always existed. It is usually caused by unhappy people who have no power in their life, and take it out on others on the highway. Seriously. Yes, some younger males, (and perhaps a lesser amount of females) like to show this behavior, kind of a rite of passage. However, when older folks display this it usually has nothing to do with you, it has to do with them, IMO.

Denver/Phoenix speeders? OK. But you realize that most metros can claim the same. Phoenix may have an excuse as they have gone from almost zero freeways 30 years ago to multiple L.A.-like freeways in recent years. (Freedom!).

LA once had a culture of speeders and what I call ultra-speeders, those who would power-drive 20-30 mph over or more on crowded freeways. This was common 30 years ago, but CHIPS cracked down and it is much less evident today. Don't get me wrong, Cali freeway drivers still push the limit in all but the far right lane, but it was the "wild west" back in the 80's.

I think many are mellowing today, with a few outlanders, for sure. Perhaps it is the aging population, perhaps it is more aggressive enforcement, not sure. But as a longtime driver in multiple metro areas, I think it is actually calmer today than it was 20-30 years ago.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 PM

21,376 posts, read 21,954,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
As long as you stop at crosswalks (i.e unmarked intersections) I won't have to bang on your car.
tha-thump

Old 12-15-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I drove super fast in Colorado traveling around and never ran much traffic although it was mostly in the summer and on the weekends.
Sure, there are sparsely populated places in Colorado where you can do that. Denver, OTOH, will get you with speed trap cameras on the odd occasion that traffic is light enough to go over 45 MPH.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:20 PM

5,917 posts, read 6,348,260 times
A lot of people are mentally imbalanced, others can't put the phone down, many are just downright stupid. The worst drivers are Inbred Jed in his pick em up truck, SUV pilot soccer mom with a phone grafted to the side of her head, and the dude-bro in the ricer equipped with the fart can exhaust tip.

The bad drivers need to be sentenced to traffic school, at their expense, given probationary plates and subject to random drug testing. Fines for violations should be higher with more points for offenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or