U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities to possibly move to
Chicago 1 10.00%
LA 2 20.00%
Boston 2 20.00%
Houston 3 30.00%
Atlanta 2 20.00%
NYC 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 10:42 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,040,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet storm iii View Post
The wife and I are looking to move to a different city. Currently we live in Memphis. We are looking for cities with a strong job market, great food options, places to raise kids (schools / safety), entertainment options. Wife is in quality analysis, and I am in supply chain We don't go out a lot, but we would love a city with the possibility of options.

We have not been to many cities.We have been to Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and the New York area. We love the energy that the city of Houston has. there always seems to be something to do and great food. The down side of the city is that it is so dependent of oil and gas and the market has taken a hit recently. Atlanta seems to have a more stable job market, plenty of things to do, great food etc... Dallas seems so well rounded in terms of jobs, although I wasn't really a fan of the city. We were more attracted to the suburbs (Plano especially). I'm not entirely sure of the NYC area. I noticed that they have a lot of jobs posted on job sites. We all know that there are tons of entertainment options there. I don't think that I am currently sold on how fast paced the city seems to be? We have never stayed in a city with harsh winters so we are unsure of how we feel about that.

Currently considering:

Chicago - contemplating harsh winters and violence issue.
LA - COL is considerably higher than Memphis
Boston - could be a great possibility
Houston - favorite city that I have been to
Atlanta - closest to where we live, seems pretty well rounded
Denver - do not know too much about it
NYC - is the energy undeniable?

I was in Oil and Gas, mostly in Houston for 33 years. Energy companies made such enormous profits for years that really smart supply chain analysis often was overlooked - you could still make gobs of money without really getting good prices from suppliers. With the depressed oil prices, relentlessly squeezing suppliers and contractors is one of the big ways they are regaining profitability. Most are through with a big phase of layoffs starting nearly 2 years ago and some see they cut too far into the muscle and sinew and are hiring again, so you are really in BETTER shape with the current difficult conditions than when things were booming and having superb supply chain efficiency wasn't crucial. The wife in "quality analysis" should do fine too. That's a pretty broad description but if she has a chemistry or geochemistry background she should do well at environmental firms (huge here too) as well as oil field service companies. There is also manufacturing of oilfield equipment - risers, gauges, blow-out preventers etc - and this is really high-precision stuff or horrible things happen with shoddy work. Professional quality control is needed at a high level. Should be jobs for her in Houston.

The city is great for after work, too. All the major sports except hockey, ballet, symphony, lots of live theater, golf and tennis year round with snow maybe a day or two every 5 years, a beach resort island 50 miles away at Galveston with a great old Victorian downtown historic district

Last edited by bamba_boy; 12-15-2016 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 PM

6,340 posts, read 7,014,497 times
Quote:
what do you think about Houston (job market is so dependent on oil and gas) and Atlanta in terms of the energy of the cities? what other cities would you recommend?
Hmm. Since you are trying to get a deeper analysis from me then I really need to understand more about what you want. I'm kinda lost by your desire for lots of "energy" but then NYC being too fast-paced. Can you be a bit more specific? And how willing are you to try winter? And is this breakdown correct: you care about economy and entertainment options (most people would) and the slightly more unique qualifiers are good food (of course it depends on what's good to you lol) and family-friendly? COL seems to be a little bit less important?

I'll toss out a few places I like...

Minneapolis: To me it's in the same general tier as Houston and Atlanta regarding economy and vibrancy/things to do. Pretty good food and about avg COL. Just look out for winters!

Seattle: It has a pretty severe climate (not temps but overcast and rainy) and supposedly a culture that can be a bit overbearing + tough to assimilate, but if you can overcome that it's got great energy when you want it. Winters arent too terrible either and I do like the seafood a lot.

Tampa: I think there's less energy overall but still has it in the right places I mean COL comes into play a little for me here but Tampa's QOL vs COL is quite high while still being large enough to fit into the group of cities you're considering.

Re: Houston and ATL...I dont have a great gauge of Houston's energy (no pun intended). I've visited 4 times in the past decade but spent most of my time farther out in the burbs and have only passed through the vibrant urban core hoods for an occasional brewery trip or ball game. So my perspective is limited. ATL on the other hand I would vouch for, although in this instance perhaps my perspective is limited in the opposite way. I travel to ATL frequently, but most of my time there is limited to a handful of the popular and vibrant urban areas. It offers a lot of the best things about big cities, and I think it's a great choice as long as you can avoid the negatives.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:23 AM

25 posts, read 15,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hmm. Since you are trying to get a deeper analysis from me then I really need to understand more about what you want. I'm kinda lost by your desire for lots of "energy" but then NYC being too fast-paced. Can you be a bit more specific? And how willing are you to try winter? And is this breakdown correct: you care about economy and entertainment options (most people would) and the slightly more unique qualifiers are good food (of course it depends on what's good to you lol) and family-friendly? COL seems to be a little bit less important?

I'll toss out a few places I like...

Minneapolis: To me it's in the same general tier as Houston and Atlanta regarding economy and vibrancy/things to do. Pretty good food and about avg COL. Just look out for winters!

Seattle: It has a pretty severe climate (not temps but overcast and rainy) and supposedly a culture that can be a bit overbearing + tough to assimilate, but if you can overcome that it's got great energy when you want it. Winters arent too terrible either and I do like the seafood a lot.

Tampa: I think there's less energy overall but still has it in the right places I mean COL comes into play a little for me here but Tampa's QOL vs COL is quite high while still being large enough to fit into the group of cities you're considering.

Re: Houston and ATL...I dont have a great gauge of Houston's energy (no pun intended). I've visited 4 times in the past decade but spent most of my time farther out in the burbs and have only passed through the vibrant urban core hoods for an occasional brewery trip or ball game. So my perspective is limited. ATL on the other hand I would vouch for, although in this instance perhaps my perspective is limited in the opposite way. I travel to ATL frequently, but most of my time there is limited to a handful of the popular and vibrant urban areas. It offers a lot of the best things about big cities, and I think it's a great choice as long as you can avoid the negatives.
what I'm trying to say is New York might be too busy (public transportation, streets being packed etc, just seems to be people all around).

I guess that I am having difficulty explaining the "energy" aspect. Memphis, where I currently stay, at times seems kind of slow with some events, New York may be what i described above. Houston and Atlanta seemed to have a nice balance. The suburbs have more of Memphis feel, but the city had a lot of nice restaurants, outdoor events, specifically Houston with Discovery Green, Buffalo Bayou, Kemah etc.

I have also heard that the COL in Houston is better than Memphis, due to the higher wages and the expenses are not too much higher. So COL would play a major role as well.

I am not crazy about the cold winters, but she is. Memphis usually doesn't get too much lower than 30.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
I was in Oil and Gas, mostly in Houston for 33 years. Energy companies made such enormous profits for years that really smart supply chain analysis often was overlooked - you could still make gobs of money without really getting good prices from suppliers. With the depressed oil prices, relentlessly squeezing suppliers and contractors is one of the big ways they are regaining profitability. Most are through with a big phase of layoffs starting nearly 2 years ago and some see they cut too far into the muscle and sinew and are hiring again, so you are really in BETTER shape with the current difficult conditions than when things were booming and having superb supply chain efficiency wasn't crucial. The wife in "quality analysis" should do fine too. That's a pretty broad description but if she has a chemistry or geochemistry background she should do well at environmental firms (huge here too) as well as oil field service companies. There is also manufacturing of oilfield equipment - risers, gauges, blow-out preventers etc - and this is really high-precision stuff or horrible things happen with shoddy work. Professional quality control is needed at a high level. Should be jobs for her in Houston.

The city is great for after work, too. All the major sports except hockey, ballet, symphony, lots of live theater, golf and tennis year round with snow maybe a day or two every 5 years, a beach resort island 50 miles away at Galveston with a great old Victorian downtown historic district
All this is what I loved about Houston, except I can't seem to get any callbacks from down there. I have not been around much, but it is my favorite city to visit. Love the outdoors as well as business environment that it seems to provide. Food is not too shabby either.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:09 PM

6,340 posts, read 7,014,497 times
Quote:
what I'm trying to say is New York might be too busy (public transportation, streets being packed etc, just seems to be people all around).

I guess that I am having difficulty explaining the "energy" aspect. Memphis, where I currently stay, at times seems kind of slow with some events, New York may be what i described above. Houston and Atlanta seemed to have a nice balance. The suburbs have more of Memphis feel, but the city had a lot of nice restaurants, outdoor events, specifically Houston with Discovery Green, Buffalo Bayou, Kemah etc.

I have also heard that the COL in Houston is better than Memphis, due to the higher wages and the expenses are not too much higher. So COL would play a major role as well.

I am not crazy about the cold winters, but she is. Memphis usually doesn't get too much lower than 30.
Hmm ok I'm guessing that you need to be in the tier below the big ones (like Boston, Chicago, etc) although all of them do have parts of the metro that might suit you. But if Houston is more your speed then yeah, Atlanta, Tampa and even South FL could work. Charlotte and Phoenix sound good too though I admit to not knowing them well. I'm curious, what did you not like about Dallas?

Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hmm ok I'm guessing that you need to be in the tier below the big ones (like Boston, Chicago, etc) although all of them do have parts of the metro that might suit you. But if Houston is more your speed then yeah, Atlanta, Tampa and even South FL could work. Charlotte and Phoenix sound good too though I admit to not knowing them well. I'm curious, what did you not like about Dallas?
Couldn't put my finger on it, but the vibe just seemed kind of off. I loved Plano and some of the other northern suburbs just not the main city of Dallas

Old 12-16-2016, 10:06 PM

4,285 posts, read 6,380,448 times
Being the largest metro in the country New York has an enormous variety of neighborhoods both in the city proper and the 'burbs. It is not all super high energy places like Times Square, crowded subways and skyscrapers. And because of excellent mass transit it's easier to get around than many smaller metros -- depending of course on where you are. Decide more specifically what you must have in a neighborhood and chances are you can find it in metro New York.

Housing will generally be more expensive than where you are, but salaries will generally be higher too, especially for skilled professionals. New York may not be for everybody, but don't write it off. After all, no one lives in New York. They live in neighborhoods in (or around) New York. And those neighborhoods come in every flavor you can think of.

Last edited by citylove101; 12-16-2016 at 10:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or