U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times

Advertisements

Isn't Mall of America near Minneapolis?

That's all I know about Minneapolis suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Nah, Minneapolis suburbs are just really generic for the most part.

You would not be able to tell the difference between Eden Prairie, and Naperville, IL at first glance. There really just isn't anything impressive.
I agree with your first paragraph. The second one - Naperville IL has actual character and a downtown and a train (all of which are hallmarks of the Chicago suburbs and many east coast burbs).

Eden Prairie is like Schaumburg or probably Northbrook.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:50 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Nah, Minneapolis suburbs are just really generic for the most part.

You would not be able to tell the difference between Eden Prairie, and Naperville, IL at first glance. There really just isn't anything impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I agree with your first paragraph. The second one - Naperville IL has actual character and a downtown and a train (all of which are hallmarks of the Chicago suburbs and many east coast burbs).

Eden Prairie is like Schaumburg or probably Northbrook.
A downtown area and a train station is something that helps distinguish one Long Island community from another.

For instance, some of the newer communities that went right from farmland to suburb like Levittown, East Meadow and Dix Hills lack both a train station and a real downtown area. Older communities like Babylon Village, Huntington Village, Smithtown and Oyster Bay have them.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:20 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Isn't Mall of America near Minneapolis?

That's all I know about Minneapolis suburbs.
Yes. In Bloomington. The first and largest auto-oriented suburb.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:52 PM

5,534 posts, read 3,686,922 times
Seattle's suburb of Bellevue has a skyline that equals many top 30 cities. The population is still just about 140K, but this has become one of the most important suburbs in the U.S. Residential is growing, but only on the higher end.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...oejjgm7taZM%3A

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-24-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-26-2016, 12:46 PM

13,572 posts, read 22,022,427 times
Atlanta's suburbs are a bucolic, hilly subtropical forest.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:17 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,235,853 times
Northern Suburbs of Dallas (Plano, Richardson, Frisco, Addison) -- Chain restaurants and strip malls galore, sterile office parks, tacky McMansions, no soul, tree-less, tollroads, tollroads, decent ethnic food, soccer moms, large SUVs, and Ikea. Did I forget to mention tollroads?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:47 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
LA's inland suburbs are hellish. Might as well be Phoenix.
Very mature lol

Old 12-29-2016, 12:00 PM

254 posts, read 440,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
we compare cities and even metro areas. What if we tried to compare something else: the suburban fringe of our major cities. If you were to eliminate the central city and concentrate only on the suburban region, what type of description would you give the suburban area of major metros

Chicagoland suburbs: served by extensive rail (Metra) connection to Chicago, but stuck with a highway system that is largely designed to serve connections to downtown Chicago with little ability to interconnect one part of suburbia to another
I disagree with the "little ability to interconnect" part. The suburban expressways make it easy to work in one suburb and live in another. I utilize the 294, 355, and 90 all of the time and live and work exclusively in the burbs. I'm not the only one.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:50 PM

242 posts, read 162,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
I disagree with the "little ability to interconnect" part. The suburban expressways make it easy to work in one suburb and live in another. I utilize the 294, 355, and 90 all of the time and live and work exclusively in the burbs. I'm not the only one.
North of 53 extension is poorly connected though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or