U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 06:50 PM

23,124 posts, read 35,061,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I am sad to hear Austin and Nashville's nightlife and music scene is overrated. Of course, I would like a second opinion.
You deserve one, because that statement is patently untrue.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 06:53 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,616,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Nope.. I left Seattle a year ago and Belltown is without a doubt still the most raving and crowded drag in Seattle. That is where many of the night clubs, music venues and upscale bars are.. Of course, Capitol Hill is larger than Belltown and encompasses a huge area with many strips of its own that are pretty lively, like Pike, Pine and the other main streets.

I don't know what the heck you are talking about Portland's nightlife being horrible!!! What do you mean Portland doesn't have neighborhoods and is not walkable? I believe an Uber would be more ideal in Portland than even Seattle. Seattle's traffic and zig zag street system is nasty. It takes literally ten times as long to get somewhere in Seattle as it should. Portland was rated one of the most walkable cities in the country and easily the most bikable (which actually sucks, cause bike riders can be annoying). Portland has several neighborhoods with large numbers of bars, clubs and entertainment venues. I take it you never actually been to downtown Portland? Unlike downtown Seattle, where you need your hiking boots, water and a backpack with gear (ok, I am exaggerating a bit ) to scale its little peaks, downtown Portland is fairly flat and you can pretty much traverse the entire downtown in 30 minutes. Then there is a place called the Pearl District that has a pretty thriving nightlife scene. I guess you never been to Hawthorne, Belmont , Alberta, Albina neighborhoods? Not to mention there has been a huge number of new bars, restaurants, coffeeshops booming all over town, including East Burnside, Division and even Powell. Old Felony Flats (82nd block) even has become a pretty cool and upcoming Chinatown that I think even starting to rival the International District in Seattle. All these areas have large numbers of bars and music venues and are way cooler than places like Ballard.

Ballard? Please, Ballard has become very lame and is a haunt for rich Californian yuppies. Ballard is a good place to blow your dough at one of the many overpriced restaurants or upscale bars. I find Ballard to be very unwelcoming and pretty lame compared to many more trendy and more middle-class neighborhoods in Portland. I will take Hawthorne over Ballard , even if it is not quite as large, which it actually is bigger than Ballard, I believe. Don't get me wrong, there is things I like about Ballard, Ballard Coffee Works, Tall Grass Bakery, etc, but overall it is very dull and the people of that neighborhood are a bit pretentious. I find it to be actually one of Seattle's least friendly neighborhoods. It also has undergone serious gentrification.

Portland definitely has places scattered throughout the city too and there are parts of Portland that are only accessible by public transit , uber or Car (gasp). But, then the same can be said for Seattle. I mean how many people go out of their way to have fun in the SoDo or go up to hang out on Aurora Ave in North Seattle? The place is still somewhat of a sprawled wasteland of tweakers and lower cost housing.

Overall, Portland is a younger, more vibrant and versatile in the types of entertainment, music and nightlife than Seattle. Maybe Seattle has this secret underground party scene I know not about. If it revolves around raves and drugs, I will say every place in the Northwest, including Eugene, Oregon, offers those venues and I am too old for that type of scene. Don't have enough liver left in me..

I am sad to hear Austin and Nashville's nightlife and music scene is overrated. Of course, I would like a second opinion. I am sure it couldn't be any worse than Boise, which literally has no night life.. Unless you think grinding to horrible mixed new age hip hop garbage (that you cannot be sober and listen to) with drunk 22 year old college girls is a form of respectable entertainment.

"Boise, which literally has no night life?" Just please stop already. You are doing yourself a disservice by not being informed. Based on this post and many of your other posts you do not really know much about Boise's nightlife which is actually quite good and diverse. Weekends for instance are busy and vibrant. So, per many of your posts, you live 10 miles out in Meridian in the suburbs, don't leave your dwelling often because of health problems, and don't have a lot of dough to spend on entertainment. And you are in your 30's right? Why are you hanging out at college aged places when you do manage to get into downtown Boise? There are plenty of other establishments with a more mature crowds but you must not go to them or have not heard of them.

I guarantee you I can inform you of a lot and prove you wrong as I live near downtown and spend a lot of my time eating out and enjoying the company of friends at some great places, great drinks, great people, great music, amazing local beer, and I am also in my 30's.

What type of nightlife are you looking for if you will question the nightlife in cities you have not even lived in?

Do you have fog out there in Meridian yet tonight?

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 12-21-2016 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-21-2016, 11:47 PM

182 posts, read 144,010 times
I wanna hear opinions. Which has the best scenery out of the four? I know Seattle does but I wanna hear about the others

Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 AM

23,124 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
I wanna hear opinions. Which has the best scenery out of the four? I know Seattle does but I wanna hear about the others
Seattle - Yes, the city has an amazing backdrop; there are 'vantage points' everywhere you turn. It's not just the natural landscape, but how the built environment takes advantage of it. And there, presiding over it all, is Mount Rainier in all of its' majesty. There are even days when Mount Baker is out there waving from the Canadian border. The scenery is one of the things I miss most about living there.

Austin - I find it rather interesting topographically, as it straddles the edge of the Hill Country. Flat as a fritter to the east, the western suburbs get very hilly very fast. And I love the Hill Country; there are vistas there that would make you swear that you're in the south of France. I also think they've got a real asset in Lakes Austin and Travis, that sit on the edge of town. There's a lot of fun to be had there.

Nashville - Pretty, rolling green hills surround Nashville. Middle Tennessee has some beautiful countryside as well as some lovely towns with housing stock dating back to the mid-1800's. Maury County (just south of the Nashville metro) has more antebellum structures per capita than any county in the South. The Yankees apparently overlooked it.

Charlotte - Like Nashville, the Charlotte metro is characterized by green rolling hills of varying size (they're most pronounced in the northwest quadrant of the city) and has that distinct look of a Piedmont city (if you've ever been to Atlanta, the suburbs have a very similar feel). I particularly like the area around Lake Norman, one of my favorite suburban lakes. Not to mention that North Carolina has some really pretty small towns in the central part of the state.

Good news for you is that you really don't have anything but good choices going on here.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:49 PM

182 posts, read 144,010 times
If someone could show scenery pics of Austin, Nashville, and Seattle that'd be great.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:08 PM

3,298 posts, read 4,061,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
"Boise, which literally has no night life?" Just please stop already. You are doing yourself a disservice by not being informed. Based on this post and many of your other posts you do not really know much about Boise's nightlife which is actually quite good and diverse. Weekends for instance are busy and vibrant. So, per many of your posts, you live 10 miles out in Meridian in the suburbs, don't leave your dwelling often because of health problems, and don't have a lot of dough to spend on entertainment. And you are in your 30's right? Why are you hanging out at college aged places when you do manage to get into downtown Boise? There are plenty of other establishments with a more mature crowds but you must not go to them or have not heard of them.

I guarantee you I can inform you of a lot and prove you wrong as I live near downtown and spend a lot of my time eating out and enjoying the company of friends at some great places, great drinks, great people, great music, amazing local beer, and I am also in my 30's.
So you found me over here.. Tohobit, I will respond in more depth to you in PM.. I was crippled with a nerve injury for 4 months, but I have been healing and have had plenty of time to get out and about and see all the Boise has to offer. You don't seem to know too much about me. As far as hanging out in Meridian, I know very little about Meridian except it is very boring. I just live and sleep in Meridian and moved here for cheaper living. I rarely spend any time in Meridian, except to shop or go to occasional chain restaurant (which is all they have here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
What type of nightlife are you looking for if you will question the nightlife in cities you have not even lived in?

Do you have fog out there in Meridian yet tonight?
What are you talking about?? What do you mean question the nightlife in cities I have not lived in? I am in Boise every other day of the week and have spent over 2 years in the Boise area.. Please.. I live 2 minutes from the Boise/Meridian border near the Village... Pleeeaasee!!!! Let's not be silly here..

Meridian is cold, foggy and icy tonight... A very nice cool 16F with a thick inversion (take it back, no inversion tonight.. just some clouds, last night was misty).

Last edited by RotseCherut; 12-22-2016 at 11:04 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 07:43 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,235,589 times
Damn they deleted my photos, none of them were copy righted if the moderator is reading this and were free use pics, any ways, Charlotte has a lot of good scenery and was simply making the point that it was being underestimated in that department

Old 12-26-2016, 07:23 PM

927 posts, read 414,055 times
As a Marine with a kinesiology degree most likely of European descent, Austin is a great place to date.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:30 PM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,509,305 times
Seattle is the best pick of the bunch.

Nice and cool year round, scenery can not be beat.

Ocean nearby....Vancouver and Canada nearby.

Strong economy.....Microsoft....Boeing

Old 12-26-2016, 08:47 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,445,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshubbard View Post
Hello everyone, my name is Steven and I currently live in Knoxville, TN and originate from New Orleans, LA. I just finished my Bachelors in Exercise Physiology and am a Marine Corps veteran. I am unhappy here in Knoxville due to lack of opportunity and relationship reasons and have explored the idea of selling my house and relocating to a more "happening" city. I am not really into the extreme liberal people but I enjoy outdoors activities and a scenic area. Generally, finding that generally most cities that have caught my eye are liberal, which I still am okay with. I am looking to get into my profession while moving somewhere totally new that has a outdoor and vibrant night life. Also, the possibility of a masters program could be in my future but ultimately what I dream about doing is owning a personal training group fitness studio in a downtown environment.

I am considering visiting Seattle, Austin, Charlotte, and Nashville. I have been to Austin to stay with my brother who lives in a suburb and really wasn't impressed to much (mainly because everything was just brown and dead) but I did not get out into downtown Austin at all because I was staying with him and his family. I've never been to the Pacific NW but the scenery out that way is just beautiful. As for Charlotte I have never been but I was stationed in Jacksonville, NC during my time in the Marines. Nashville, everyone says is a really good time here in Knoxville, but I almost feel like it would feel the same staying in Tennessee?

I am looking for something totally different. Things that are important to me is 1) Jobs/ business opportunity 2) dating/ people/ nightlife 3) cost of living 4) outdoor scenery.

Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing your responses.
Seattle is not the greatest for a single hetero male because there are so many engineers and software engineers that has caused an imbalance in the male/female ratio (a disturbance in the force). Don't get me wrong, I'm a resident and love the city I just don't think it would be my choice were I single.

Austin would probably be my pick, you have those college coeds, it's got good music scene, great job opportunities and melting molten rock summer causes short shorts and tank tops.

Charlotte is a nice city but it just doesn't do it for me.

Nashville I would seriously consider especially if you like country music, it's the home world you know. Otherwise, a pleasant city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or