U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 3,399 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Well after reading hundreds of threads I have finally joined in the hope of finding help on where to move! Currently we live in the suburbs of Chicago and have been here all of our lives. I work remotely and support my parents so job economy is not an issue for the new location.

Here's the situation. I am in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury. My dad has bad emphysema from smoking. My mom loves being outdoors.

We all are hating winter now. The snow is too hard in the wheelchair, my mom is too old to be dealing with it herself and the bitter cold takes my dads breath away so he can't help and is stuck inside all winter.

The other thing is we can't handle very hot or very humid (high dew point makes it very hard for my dad to breathe). Like this past summer it was nasty hot and humid and it kept us inside a lot. Then boom, winter hit and we're stuck inside more!

I have read a lot on North Carolina and how nice the weather is but my fear is year round humidity. Is that the case? Any humidity better than Chicago I'm ok with!

I know there is no area where it's going to be perfect all the time. I am looking for somewhere that we can enjoy the most months out of the year with the understanding that we may have to sacrifice 2 or 3 months whether it's for extreme heat or a couple humid months.

Also we wouldn't mind a short mild winter with minimal snow. Winter seems to last November - March here and that's way too long.

Key things I'm focusing on.

Most months with low humidity and non extreme heat.
Mild short winters.
Nature and lakes
Not the Northeast

Affordability may or may not be a deciding factor so please don't hold back on wealthier areas and also most affordable areas. My goal is to be out of here next January!

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 08:37 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,190,828 times
You want a western state such as New Mexico or Arizona where the humidity is low and you can choose your climate by choosing from a lot of different elevations. In Arizona there is extreme heat and plenty of snow, in different parts of the state. Phoenix is a big city with lots of extreme heat. Flagstaff is a high-elevation city with plenty of snow. There are lots of choices in between those extremes.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:14 PM

13,003 posts, read 4,706,459 times
Asheville in North Carolina, Johnson City in Tennessee or Albuquerque in New Mexico would fit your criteria. Neither are particularly hot, cold nor humid.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:39 PM

4,285 posts, read 6,384,862 times
Consider the Pacific Coast, like approximately from Santa Barbara up through Seattle. That area should easily fit your climate and close to nature requirements. And while coastal California is famously expensive for the most part, my guess is that once you get north of the SF Bay area, costs are somewhat more reasonable (until you hit the Seattle region). But other posters will know about that region than I do.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:01 PM

21,280 posts, read 30,559,733 times
With one of you suffering with emphysema, high elevation and thinner air with less oxygen is not a good idea. You would be better off in a place lacking higher humidity and higher elevations. I would recommend a place like Henderson NV (outside of Las Vegas) where temps don't go below freezing and where the air is dry. It's also at lower elevation for "out west" at just 1800' which doesn't create the thinner air scenario when it does get cooler.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:48 PM

8,823 posts, read 10,910,991 times
No, Phoenix's air quality is not great. Many days you could see the smog above the mountains and lots of heat is hard on lung/heart patients. Many people would get allergies when they moved there, too. I had heard same w/ kids and asthma there, but not exactly sure about that one.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 12-20-2016 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: NY P

Old 12-20-2016, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 3,399 times
Thanks everyone. I'm curious how the elevation would effect him. His pulmonologist said he has trouble getting air out but not in. I'll have to make him ask about that.

I've been looking a lot at Northern CA. I'm an avid bass fisherman so being near Clear Lake would be a dream!

Is humidity in the Southeast year round or would we really only have a couple of rough months in somewhere like Raleigh?

Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 PM

10,405 posts, read 19,488,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc863 View Post
Is humidity in the Southeast year round or would we really only have a couple of rough months in somewhere like Raleigh?
The Southeast is MUCH more humid than other parts of the country. Summer is the worst, but you can pull up a climate site and compare the data from one city to the other.

What put Raleigh in your mind since most everyone in this thread is recommending the West Coast?

Old 01-01-2017, 01:33 PM

17,808 posts, read 4,156,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc863 View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm curious how the elevation would effect him. His pulmonologist said he has trouble getting air out but not in. I'll have to make him ask about that.

I've been looking a lot at Northern CA. I'm an avid bass fisherman so being near Clear Lake would be a dream!

It is real humid in the Southeast pretty much year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.