U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 745,340 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from L.A. Lived there half my life before moving in '89 to the Rustbelt so I would not end up homeless in an unaffordable city. While Rustbelt life has its drawbacks I an carry a gun, 4 oz pepper spray and a collapsible baton if I like. These are all things that I miss when I travel to NY / NJ.

I do miss diving in the kelp beds at Catalina, but GD, L.A. has changed sooo much I sometimes feel I am in a foreign country when I visit.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...oli-jr-mr1.jpg

I like it in the Rustbelt. People are mostly down to earth. The jobs are so-so, but you can't have it all. After visiting NY a couple times this year for the first time and planning to visit a couple more times every year hereafter, I an appreciate the Rustbelt more. NY is fun, exhilarating and the greatest city in the world...but all I can take is 2 to 3 weeks of NYC a year. And, that is for my work...social doc photography. Otherwise I prob would not visit NYC after the first visit.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...eoli-jr-mm.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 10:29 AM

970 posts, read 1,645,039 times
My name is Krisps and I.... live.... in the rustbelt (sobbing). Wow it feels good to let that out finally (lips quivering).

Old 12-22-2016, 10:33 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,213,476 times
Why would anyone be "ashamed" to be from a particular place? You would have to have self-hate, or a pretty low self esteem. It is what it is, and you absorb whatever experiences and lessons there for both good and bad.

And what's this with the weapons? Unless you are a particularly vulnerable and sensitive individual, or put yourself in harm's way on a daily basis. I am not sure what that has to do with Rust Belt living.

BTW, I grew up in the Rust Belt, much of family still lives there, and will be moving back full time soon.

If there is anything to be ashamed of, it is how this nation's policies and business practices have allowed the draining of industry and capital from the Rust Belt cities - first to the suburbs (1950s), then the South and West (1960s and 70s), and finally outside the US (1980s to today).

Old 12-22-2016, 10:39 AM

56,811 posts, read 81,169,050 times
No.....If you an get a decent job, you can still live a good, solid life in such areas.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:44 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,409,763 times
I guess I currently live in a non-rust belt city in a rust belt state (Ohio).

Coming from the east coast I love the laidback attitudes of the Midwest and lack of pretense. There are rust belt cities that have incredible histories, architecture/built environments, community spirit and a lot to offer i.e. Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:47 AM

15,499 posts, read 7,917,363 times
LOL, I love the Rustbelt.

Born and bred and have long roots in Ohio.

We are great people IMO and like Buckeye said above, we have a laidback attitude, IMO we are much more honest and down to earth than southerners. We have great architecture and we are tough people.

What's to be ashamed of?

Old 12-22-2016, 11:52 AM

3,974 posts, read 3,510,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Why would anyone be "ashamed" to be from a particular place? You would have to have self-hate, or a pretty low self esteem. It is what it is, and you absorb whatever experiences and lessons there for both good and bad.
I don't know if it's shame so much as how magnified stereotypes are on here. There are certain posters who post their opinion, but word it as if it's simply fact. These people often have little if any actual experience with the places they are talking about, but if you read enough of their postings you can be convinced that these places actually are inferior. No matter the reality.

I love my little Rustbelt city, there's nowhere else I'd rather live. Watching it transition from a manufacturing center to a Knowledge/STEM/Services center can be some what intoxicating when you're a part of it.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:30 PM

390 posts, read 232,774 times
I doubt seriously if people even think about it in those terms, pride or shame. Plenty of us could live anywhere we want. We stay in the rust belt because life is good here.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:07 PM

5,918 posts, read 6,350,155 times
Where I live is more corn belt than rust belt but I can drive there in 30 minutes.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:47 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,713,463 times
I moved from Portland, OR to the "Rustbelt" for the same reasons as the OP.

Quote:
I'm originally from L.A. Lived there half my life before moving in '89 to the Rustbelt so I would not end up homeless in an unaffordable city.
But just moved to the Cleveland area last June. I am very proud to say I had the good sense to move to a great area that offers so much more bang for my buck instead of trying to desperately make ends meet in an overpriced, over-hyped city just to have bragging rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.