U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 05:40 PM

3,785 posts, read 6,517,375 times

Advertisements

USS Alabama in Mobile ,Al

USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 07:44 PM

24,973 posts, read 23,882,175 times
The schooner Lucy Evelyn in Beach Haven, NJ. That was my favorite. Yes, I've toured them in Philly, Camden and Baltimore. I'm sorry I didn't get to the North Carolina when I lived in the area.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:43 PM

4,478 posts, read 2,659,202 times
Not many. The aircraft carrier in New York with the Space Shuttle at one end (not really on show yet when I was there). Also a submarine in Sydney, which I recommend (any sub) to show how claustrophobic they are. One of these days I'll do the Turner Joy in Bremerton, a ferry ride from Seattle.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:06 PM

5,543 posts, read 6,976,071 times
USS Silversides in Muskegon, Michigan. Coast Guard ships in Grand Haven and Port Huron, Michigan. The Ore Carrier Valley Camp in the Soo, Michigan.

Last edited by ram2; 12-27-2016 at 05:15 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 07:49 AM

5,116 posts, read 4,622,359 times
The four museum ships that I've been on, ordered by my own preferences:

USS Constitution in Boston, MA.
I liked this ship the most; the surviving super frigate from the early days of the United States. Yarrr!

C.A. Thayer in San Francisco, CA.
Maybe because we had the full run of this schooner, and that there weren't any crowds. Compared to the others on the list, the interior was stripped down, but it made it so much easier to see and appreciate the hull construction.

Joseph Conrad in Mystic, CT.
We were only allowed on the deck and not below, but it was a full rigged training ship and was kept up as if it were to be put out to sea in next few weeks.

Charles W Morgan in Mystic, CT.
Located at Mystic Seaport along with the Joseph Conrad, my impression of this ship suffered because it was basically a floating whale processing factory that was berthed near a full-rigged training vessel. More functional that beautiful, to me it seemed a Mack Truck parked next to a Ferrari. But that's just my opinion, the day that I went to Mystic Seaport, there were more tourists going aboard the Charles W Morgan than on the Joseph Conrad.

U-505 in Chicago, IL.
I was in Chicago back in the 90's and took a week end to see the sights, which happened to include this German WWII submarine. It's the only non-wooden museum ship on my list (and technically not a ship), and it probably ranks lowest on my list as I prefer wooden sailing vessels. Still, I appreciate it for what it was in it's day, an incredibly well engineered and compact war machine.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:26 AM

1,189 posts, read 801,373 times
USS Lexington in Corpus Christi, TX

The Niña (one of the many replicas, not museum per se) also in Corpus Christi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or