U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 04:01 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,806,162 times

Advertisements

Albuquerque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 04:39 PM

10,589 posts, read 14,384,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
ok, but it does not seem like a good idea to move to a city to the south of DC if you moved away from DC partly because you thought it was too humid. i think Sacramento or somewhere inland California would make more sense.
True, but if OP wants to look at the south/southeast for other reasons then it would be a good idea to take elevation and dew point into consideration, not just whether a location is further north or south of any other location.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,487,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
...The traffic, heat...the focus on...government...the cost of real estate...The schools are meh..I'm not comfortable around the "progressives" that make up NYC, San Francisco, etc.
Exactly why Sacramento should be eliminated from your list

Old 12-25-2016, 08:22 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,140,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post

I'm looking for a decent sized metro area, a LITTLE warmer climate (maybe 10 degrees warmer in Winter, with little or no snow), somewhere not as isolated as Denver (I hate not being able to go somewhere interesting on a weekend road trip and Salt Lake City/Santa Fe don't really cut it), maybe the beach within a few hours drive, and cheaper real estate. Things have gotten out of control with the "imports" flooding into Colorado.
Based these concerns only, I'd eliminate Denver from your list. I can't count how many time someone fell in love with the postcard version of Colorado thinking it was east coast with mountains, only to be disappointed that Denver is not a metro area with the population concentration of ANY place east of the Mississippi River that allows easy afternoon trips to someplace else.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:15 AM

21,237 posts, read 30,486,189 times
Not sure how Richmond VA seems to often evade mention when criteria such as the OP's is brought up. In my opinion it's quite the contender across the board.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:07 AM

29,979 posts, read 27,507,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not sure how Richmond VA seems to often evade mention when criteria such as the OP's is brought up. In my opinion it's quite the contender across the board.
There may be too many East Coast-types for the OP in Richmond (lots of folks in the area commute to NoVA/DC for work), plus the humidity levels won't be too much different from DC.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:06 AM

6,325 posts, read 7,001,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Based these concerns only, I'd eliminate Denver from your list. I can't count how many time someone fell in love with the postcard version of Colorado thinking it was east coast with mountains, only to be disappointed that Denver is not a metro area with the population concentration of ANY place east of the Mississippi River that allows easy afternoon trips to someplace else.
Lol...good thing the OP is doing that as he seeks to relocate from Denver.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:07 AM

21,237 posts, read 30,486,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There may be too many East Coast-types for the OP in Richmond (lots of folks in the area commute to NoVA/DC for work), plus the humidity levels won't be too much different from DC.
Huhhh?? Richmond is 110 miles from DC and around 3 hours during a workday commute and has no more or less "east coast types" than cities like Raleigh, Nashville or Charlotte.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:07 AM

29,979 posts, read 27,507,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Huhhh?? Richmond is 110 miles from DC and around 3 hours during a workday commute and has no more or less "east coast types" than cities like Raleigh, Nashville or Charlotte.
Yes, Richmond has folks who commute to NoVA/DC every day. I know at least one person who does and actual Richmonders can tell you as much. Just browse the Richmond forum sometime.

Why would you think Nashville, which is several hundred miles from the East Coast, has as many of those folks as Richmond? That's odd. Nashville gets many, many more transplants from the Midwest than the East Coast and has a vibe that's COMPLETELY different from DC and the East Coast.

I have a good friend who's a native of NYC and has lived in Charlotte and Raleigh and currently lives in Richmond and he says there are more East Coast types in Richmond than Raleigh (and Charlotte). His exact words: "Richmond has way tooo many new yorkers here with bad attitudes," which was a comment made in comparison with Raleigh.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:43 PM

352 posts, read 293,168 times
Thanks everyone. I went to grad school at UT (Knoxville) back in the Peyton Manning days, so I'd consider Knoxville, Chattanooga, etc. Charlotte is a good idea. Raleigh-Durham too. We'll add that those to our itinerary for this Spring's scouting trip. BTW, the reason that I'm not looking anywhere out west except for Sacramento is the fact that Colorado's dry climate is much tougher on us than I had anticipated. We wanted to escape Virginia's humidity, but I havven't taken a decent breath in 4 or 5 years. Between the nosebleeds and the dry, cracked skin, I've come to realize that you need SOME humidity. Too bad there's no happy medium between the east's humidity and the west's dryness, but I guess everyone would move to that place if it existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.