U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 01:18 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,631,733 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering, I see threads about which is a cooler winter Phoenix or Miami which is interesting.

For example, yesterday afternoon it was 47 degrees in Phoenix with a strong wind and wind-chill of 29 during the afternoon with gale force winds and intense rain.

This afternoon it is 52 with a strong, cold wind and lows in the 30s.

Phoenix does have lots of nice, warm winter-days in the 70s but I doubt people are aware of the winter cold-snap each winter in Phoenix where it is raining with temperatures in the 40s which happens each year a couple of times.

Southern California rainy season is in the winter and Phoenix tends to get a cold, light rain that lasts a day the following day. This happens several times each winter.

It seems like the 3 winters I have been in the Phoenix area that there is always several events of cold, rain where it stays in the 40s. There are many suburbs like Chandler and Gilbert that get into the 20s during cold-snaps also, but the official temperature tends to stay above freezing.

Tucson is even chillier and Las Vegas is actually quite cold in the morning in the winter. Both Las Vegas and Tucson tend to have winter lows in the 30s.

I spent a winter in Las Vegas and with that strong, cold, morning wind in the winter several years I was still very cold.

I remember last year in December in Florida, the heat and humidity made it feel downright hot and humid like it was summer-time.

I just think it is funny when people are curious if Miami or Phoenix is warmer in winter when in Phoenix it is very common to see your breath on a morning walk this time of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 04:05 PM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,494,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I was just wondering, I see threads about which is a cooler winter Phoenix or Miami which is interesting.

For example, yesterday afternoon it was 47 degrees in Phoenix with a strong wind and wind-chill of 29 during the afternoon with gale force winds and intense rain.

This afternoon it is 52 with a strong, cold wind and lows in the 30s.

Phoenix does have lots of nice, warm winter-days in the 70s but I doubt people are aware of the winter cold-snap each winter in Phoenix where it is raining with temperatures in the 40s which happens each year a couple of times.

Southern California rainy season is in the winter and Phoenix tends to get a cold, light rain that lasts a day the following day. This happens several times each winter.

It seems like the 3 winters I have been in the Phoenix area that there is always several events of cold, rain where it stays in the 40s. There are many suburbs like Chandler and Gilbert that get into the 20s during cold-snaps also, but the official temperature tends to stay above freezing.

Tucson is even chillier and Las Vegas is actually quite cold in the morning in the winter. Both Las Vegas and Tucson tend to have winter lows in the 30s.

I spent a winter in Las Vegas and with that strong, cold, morning wind in the winter several years I was still very cold.

I remember last year in December in Florida, the heat and humidity made it feel downright hot and humid like it was summer-time.

I just think it is funny when people are curious if Miami or Phoenix is warmer in winter when in Phoenix it is very common to see your breath on a morning walk this time of the year.
Phoenix has a very good marketing department ...."Valley of the Sun" and all that jazz,
Las Vegas is quite a bit colder but they have planted tons of Canary Island Date Palms
(which look tropical but are very cold hardy)....gives the illusion of all year warmth.

I've been in all 3 ....Phoenix, Vegas, and Tucson in winter, and yes early am I could
see my breath, nippy for sure, most days do warm up nicely ....not all days.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:13 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,111,171 times
I was in Phoenix last winter. While I was there it was 65 degrees and sunny while it was -15 degrees back home. Hard to over estimate that kind of difference.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:30 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,539,466 times
All I can tell you is this: Many years ago around this time of year, I drove from Chicago to Los Angeles in two and a half days, still the greatest travel accomplishment of my life. I started the second day in Amarillo, Texas, which was freezing. I don't remember where, but I must have stopped somewhere in Arizona, or maybe western New Mexico, to gas up -- still freezing. Finally, I pulled into Phoenix around midnight to spend the night, rolled down my window and was shocked to find that it was something like 75 degrees outside.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:33 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
Yes they do. Go to the hottest state thread for proof. The SE always holds higher more consistent temperatures in the winter due to humidity. Being arid always means inconsistent temps unless you're like within five miles of the pacific coast.

I mean our winters are pleasant I love them but it's definitely not shorts season all year round like it would be in Miami or New Orleans.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:43 PM

7,289 posts, read 15,342,559 times
Headed to Tucson in Feb from the Pacific Northwest for a bit more sun. Not particularly as concerned about the temp, I'd just like more sun and very little rain and snow. Sure, it can snow here AND there in February, but I'd just a the odds of a bit more sun.

And temps are relative. The average Feb temp here is a high in the mid-50s with a low in the mid-30s, a little over 2" of rain for the month and about 55% sun. In Tucson the average temp will be about 10-12 degrees warmer, but a lot sunnier. Plus it is new scenery.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:57 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
I think that people do tend to think that these places are "South Florida warm" in the Winter when they are, in fact, not.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:51 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,699,747 times
The Winters in Phoenix and Vegas are magical compared to a lot of the country lol. Yesterday I wore a tank top, shorts, and sandals while going to pick up food at AJs. I'd say our average highs are in the low 60s during winter, and that's perfect for me. Sure we get a good amount of days where the lows are in the upper 20s and the highs are in the lower 50s but for the most part the Winters here are great. It's the desert so assuming that most ppl know that the desert gets cold I would hope people don't think our winters warm.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 17 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,833,943 times
They think Phoenix is like Florida warm all year. It's not. I used to have my winter jacket, scarf and mittens on when I walked in the early morning--Dec., Jan. and Feb. Not everyday, but some days. By afternoon, Phoenix is pleasant 60 range, sometimes warmer or a bit cooler w/ wind. Prescott, Flagg is cooler than Phoenix, too.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:59 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,001,076 times
I find climactic history interesting in cases like this:
Avg. High Temp
January: July:
Phoenix: 67 106
Las Vegas: 58 104 (noticeably cooler winter temps than PHX)
Tucson: 66 100
Albuquerque: 47 90

I know I'm in a minority, but considering how each of these temps would be with humidity, sunlight, etc., I might take ABQ's year round climate over just about any city in the country. I think it's clear though that PHX gets cooler in Miami in the winter, as Miami's avg. January temp is still 76, so winter there is almost non existent. I'm sure many visitors to Vegas are especially surprised at that time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.