U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:52 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,923,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
County government isn't really a "Metropolitan Government." In places like France, they have an added level of government at our equivalent MSA or CSA level. So I'm talking about the fact that we don't have a Dallas MSA government or a Chicago CSA government like other major countries do to guide planning.

The only ones that could count would be San Diego County or others where the county government is coterminous with the metropolitan areas.

Althought county-consolidation is certainly a step in the right direction.
I understand what you are saying but in some parts of the country like the Northeast, where almost every inch of land is incorporated into a city or township (town), counties can play that function.

For instance in New York State, the state began to give additional powers to county governments like Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, Rockland, Erie (Buffalo) and Albany to deal with the rise of the suburbs after WW2. Until then, counties in New York were historically weak and mostly dealt with matters of the courts.

Several of these counties have combined police departments which used to be run by the different towns. Others have sewer districts, park departments and even agricultural zones. At the same time, the county governments have limited powers, they do not control zoning and land use for example. So in a way, county government in New York at least, is sort of a mini-metropolitan government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Brisbane with San Francisco density could have 50-60k people. Instead it has 4,717 and the city government has wanted to keep it that way for years, angering San Francisco.

Here's a good read on it: Tensions Rise As San Francisco Proposes To Annex Brisbane, Build Homes CBS San Francisco
Looking at a aerial shot, there is a large amount of empty land in Brisbane right near the railroad tracks. Just a guess, a former railroad yard? One of those "stuff in as many people possible" cities, could easily fit thousands of people in a place like that.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:09 PM

13,611 posts, read 22,063,716 times
Quote:
County government isn't really a "Metropolitan Government." In places like France, they have an added level of government at our equivalent MSA or CSA level. So I'm talking about the fact that we don't have a Dallas MSA government or a Chicago CSA government like other major countries do to guide planning.

The only ones that could count would be San Diego County or others where the county government is coterminous with the metropolitan areas.

Althought county-consolidation is certainly a step in the right direction.

We know this.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:23 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,828,779 times
Technically, Miami and Miami Beach border but it's mainly by the water in Biscayne Bay. The only "land" where they actually touch are on the "islands" under the Julia Tuttle and MacArthur Causeways that make up the non-bridge parts of the causeways. Even then, that land area is again separated from the rest of Miami Beach by more water. Coral Gables makes a much better "extension" of Miami by land but it includes less added people in more land than annexing Miami Beach would provide.
Speaking of Miami Beach, an argument can be made to unify all of the barrier island & bay communities in MiamiDade County into one coastal city from Miami Beach northward. Adding to Miami Beach would be: Golden Beach, Sunny Isles Beach, Bal Harbour, Bay Harbour Islands, Indian Creek, North Bay Village & Surfside. This would create one big beach community of nearly 140,000 on a little less than 11 square miles of land.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,203,483 times
Quote:
As a purely hypothetical exercise, if your city were granted the ability to unilaterally annex any city touching its borders, which would you choose and why? How would that affect the rankings in your State? or in the country?

Here are my picks:

Philadelphia, PA: Annexes Cheltenham Township (37,014 people)
New Population: 1,604,489
New Land Area: 142.10sqmi
Rationale: I don't understand PA's municipality system (home rule municipality, township, boroughs, etc) so I picked this one on a whim.

I would probably say Upper Darby as the most logical pick - though Cheltenham is not an awful choice

Upper Darby is about 83K and 7 sq miles - It is the terminus of the Market Frankford subway line (also the Norristown High speed line another HR system), think Tina Fey is from there as well not that really matters but she claims Philly so maybe it should be included

Plus its less then 3 miles from Center City and would probably also include Milbourne PA at less than .07 (yes .07 sq miles) sq miles is basically self contained with Upper Darby and bordering Philly and is 16K ppsm with a subway stop

Old 12-27-2016, 10:16 AM

101 posts, read 94,066 times
Default You missed Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Boston:

Brookline
Cambridge
Somerville
Chelsea
Revere
Winthrop
Everett also borders Boston. It should be on this list. Otherwise, there'd be a hole in the map between Somerville and Chelsea.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:16 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,706,265 times
For Phoenix I would annex Glendale
For LA I would annex a large portion of the valley lol.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:58 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,503,651 times
It's funny I did this when city estimates came out back in May. If Grand Rapids were to annex its inner ring, it would have 392k people in 141sq mi. With a 4.5% growth rate from 2010-15

Old 12-27-2016, 11:37 PM

13,611 posts, read 22,063,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbosma View Post
Everett also borders Boston. It should be on this list. Otherwise, there'd be a hole in the map between Somerville and Chelsea.

No to Everett as part of Boston. (Though I did consider it.)

Look at a map. My list makes sense.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:11 AM

According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everet...etts#Geography , Everett does border the Charlestown section of Boston.

However, looking at a map, it turns out it is just a water boundary across the Mystic River. So it looks like Everett would probably be the very last bordering community to add to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or