U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:30 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,446,296 times

Advertisements

Both Plano and Irving have a lot to offer. In the end probably a slight edge to Irving because of DFW airport.

On a different subject, I always thought it would be interesting if Arlington and Grand Prairie merged into one. It would turn into an elephant in the room in an already bipolar metro. A 575K city, denser than Fort Worth and not far behind Dallas, more diverse, centrally located between both, and next to DFW. Throw Irving into the mix and they're the same population as Fort Worth now (in 100 sq miles less).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 03:21 PM

330 posts, read 238,778 times
Austin would be Round Rock.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:38 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,819,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
It's funny I did this when city estimates came out back in May. If Grand Rapids were to annex its inner ring, it would have 392k people in 141sq mi. With a 4.5% growth rate from 2010-15
The 141 square miles piqued my interest because it's similar in size to what Raleigh is today. However, Raleigh today sits at over 451,000 and that doesn't include all of the adjacent burbs around it. If Raleigh were only to add adjacent Cary, it would be physically a tad bigger than Colorado Springs at 197 square miles but with over 610,000 people. Two other burbs that might make sense adding would be Garner and Knightdale: adding another 42,000+ people and another 21 square miles. Adding Wake Forest, Morrisville, Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina would push Raleigh's population well over 800,000 and to about 285 square miles. That all said, there are still "unincorporated" areas that are "swiss cheese pockets" surrounded by Raleigh or on Raleigh's unincorporated but developed edges that can't be annexed due to state law that gives the property owners veto power over annexation. These ETJ areas of Raleigh alone could probably add 100,000+ without even touching the other municipalities.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:22 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,890,629 times
South Carolina has weird annexation laws. All of our cities appear much smaller than they really are. Greenville appears small and quaint at 65,000, but a true annexation of pretty much everything encompassing Greenville would have it knocking on the door of 300,000.

Same goes for Columbia. I'd annex all the "Columbia" communities to the NE, NW, E, and N. That would bring Columbia to around or over 250,000. NE Columbia alone is around 80-100,000 extra people.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:35 PM

503 posts, read 332,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
South Carolina has weird annexation laws. All of our cities appear much smaller than they really are. Greenville appears small and quaint at 65,000, but a true annexation of pretty much everything encompassing Greenville would have it knocking on the door of 300,000.

Same goes for Columbia. I'd annex all the "Columbia" communities to the NE, NW, E, and N. That would bring Columbia to around or over 250,000. NE Columbia alone is around 80-100,000 extra people.
Virginia has a similar problem with independent cities, separate from their surrounding counties. For example, if Richmond were able to consolidate with the surrounding counties of Henrico and Chesterfield it would grow from a city of ~220,000 to a city of over 800,000 people. I think that may be part of the reason why people feel some of Virginia's cities are larger then they realized when they visit for the first time.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Virginia has a similar problem with independent cities, separate from their surrounding counties. For example, if Richmond were able to consolidate with the surrounding counties of Henrico and Chesterfield it would grow from a city of ~220,000 to a city of over 800,000 people. I think that may be part of the reason why people feel some of Virginia's cities are larger then they realized when they visit for the first time.
Yeah I've noticed that too. I noticed it when I lived in Alexandria and Arlington. It was so weird not being in a city in Arlington, and then not being in a county in Alexandria...

Old 01-05-2017, 01:14 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,312,643 times
For NYC, ignoring state borders, I would say Jersey City and/or Hoboken, and convert the PATH trains into the NYC subway so I can use my unlimited Metrocard on those trains.

Taking state borders into account, I think the most realistic answer would be Yonkers or something

Old 01-05-2017, 01:24 PM

503 posts, read 332,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yeah I've noticed that too. I noticed it when I lived in Alexandria and Arlington. It was so weird not being in a city in Arlington, and then not being in a county in Alexandria...
Very good point. I honestly still have trouble viewing Arlington as a county. IMO it definitely functions as more of a city than a county. I believe that Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach were the only Virginia cities to successfully merge with their counties. This is part of the reason that Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia.

For South Carolina, I've always found it confusing that places like Charleston and North Charleston were considered two separate cities. Is that also do to the annexation laws there?

Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Very good point. I honestly still have trouble viewing Arlington as a county. IMO it definitely functions as more of a city than a county. I believe that Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach were the only Virginia cities to successfully merge with their counties. This is part of the reason that Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia.

For South Carolina, I've always found it confusing that places like Charleston and North Charleston were considered two separate cities. Is that also do to the annexation laws there?
Agreed. Arlington is a city to me. Functions like one. With Alexandria I just pretended I was in Fairfax Co lol.

With Charleston it's a little different. In South Carolina, the communities have to agree to become apart of the city. If you look at Columbia and Charleston, you'll see a lot of donut holes because the cities weren't able to do a sweeping annex and had to go block by block. Greenville is so small looking because they don't feel like doing this, plus the small image has been helping the city's marketing.

North Charleston didn't become a city until 1972 and it was because of race and political politics. N Chas had been wanting to become a city for decades, but disenfranchisement and current laws regarding voters and new cities, kept it blocked. After the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and tweaks to current laws, N Chas was able to do it. Before then it was unincorporated Charleston County, not city of Charleston.

Because of the annexation laws though, it's hard for both to expand into communities, so instead they've been grabbing land. If you look at a city limit map of Charleston, you'll see a lot that's not yet developed...but it's about to be. That's easier than trying to convince current residents.

That's how N Charleston got so big. Back then, that land wasn't too developed and residents were less hesitant to be annexed since that's what that area wanted in the first place at the time. N Chas doubled in size in 1973 and was even able to go in to neighbor counties. Now, it's not that easy it's it's surrounded by Goose Creek, Hanahan, and Summerville.

That is also how Charleston got Daniel Island. The city fought hard and annexed the island in 1991 before it was a populated, because they knew the master plan that was going to come with it. It's paid off for them now as DI is booming. Charleston has half of James Island's 30,000 residents because JI, unlike DI, was developed and hesitant. Look at a city limit map then look at JI, it's ridiculously amusing.

Charleston and Columbia are two cities in SC that are pressing annexation the most. Everyone else is kind of letting things be, even Myrtle Beach. The city is at 30,000, but the county just passed 300,000.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 01-05-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 03:34 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,240,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Dallas, TX: Annexes Irving (236,607 people)
New Population: 1,536,699
New Land Area: 408.40sqmi
Rationale: Though Garland adds more people, Irving is growing more than 2x faster. More importantly, Irving gives Dallas half of DFW International and corrects some funky Dallas borders around North Lake.
Nope. Irving can stay as Irving. Dallas should be "de-annexing," such as areas like Far North Dallas. Nothing north of I-635 or south of I-20 should be within Dallas city limits. This city needs more jobs in Downtown and Uptown, not out in areas bordering Richardson, Addison, etc. #MakeDallasSmall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or