U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:16 AM

51 posts, read 28,704 times

Advertisements

For Miami Beach, I'd annex the remaining beach communities (Surfside, Bal Harbour, and Sunny Isles) as well as some wealthy enclave islands (Indian Creek, Fisher Island).

Normally I'd advocate consolidating Miami with Miami Beach, but as disastrous as Miami Beach's politics can be, Miami is worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 11:11 AM

2,868 posts, read 1,323,359 times
I think for Dallas the Park Cities would be the smartest move for Dallas. The extra taxes would justify it. Besides, they already drive on our roads anyway since they are an island. Dallas would get a lot of of that deal and park cities would finally have to pay for what they use and have more skin in the game for the city. (Dallas does all the policing around park cities, park cities people drive on our roads to go anywhere, they are basically just a tax haven)

Irving makes more sense than Plano because of the airport and general location. It also captures fortune 500 companies.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:57 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,244,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think for Dallas the Park Cities would be the smartest move for Dallas. The extra taxes would justify it. Besides, they already drive on our roads anyway since they are an island. Dallas would get a lot of of that deal and park cities would finally have to pay for what they use and have more skin in the game for the city. (Dallas does all the policing around park cities, park cities people drive on our roads to go anywhere, they are basically just a tax haven)

Irving makes more sense than Plano because of the airport and general location. It also captures fortune 500 companies.
I can see your point, but you have to understand that having the Park Cities would negatively impact Dallas's urban core. Highland Park is a bubble and their interests would come at the the expense of Downtown's.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:13 PM

992 posts, read 580,639 times
I can imagine a waaaay bigger New York City, something like this:

Old 05-27-2017, 01:53 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,323,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I can see your point, but you have to understand that having the Park Cities would negatively impact Dallas's urban core. Highland Park is a bubble and their interests would come at the the expense of Downtown's.
I could see that being an issue, but as it is, they already mooch off of Dallas. Maybe having some skin in the game for the city would help.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurana View Post
All of LA County plus Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks becomes part of LA.
All of LA County south of Santa Clarita and west of San Dimas, plus all of Orange County, becomes part of LA. It makes more geographic sense that way.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:08 PM

18,926 posts, read 6,911,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
All of LA County south of Santa Clarita and west of San Dimas, plus all of Orange County, becomes part of LA. It makes more geographic sense that way.
Honestly, the only cities I would add to Los Angeles would be East Los Angeles (unincorporated), Bell, Bell Gardens, Huntington Park, Commerce, Maywood, Cudahy and South Gate

Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,835,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPelican View Post
For Miami Beach, I'd annex the remaining beach communities (Surfside, Bal Harbour, and Sunny Isles) as well as some wealthy enclave islands (Indian Creek, Fisher Island).

Normally I'd advocate consolidating Miami with Miami Beach, but as disastrous as Miami Beach's politics can be, Miami is worse.
Fisher Island is already part of Miami Beach.

I can see Miami Beach annexing all the way up to Bal Harbour but not any further. Haulover Park seems to be a very natural boundary for the city and the vibe of Sunny Isles/Aventura to the north of it seems significantly different to me to be included.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Honestly, the only cities I would add to Los Angeles would be East Los Angeles (unincorporated), Bell, Bell Gardens, Huntington Park, Commerce, Maywood, Cudahy and South Gate
Oh come on. At least let us have West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Culver City, and Santa Monica.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:00 PM

1,050 posts, read 731,588 times
For Philly, I would annex:
-Cheltenham Township
-Upper Darby Township
-Lower Merion Township

Now, if we're talking about changing city borders, I would change Philly's southwestern border from Cobbs Creek to the Darby Creek, possibly going as far as everything inside of I-476. The major advantage of a southwestern expansion would be that Philly would gain complete control of the airport. Most of Philadelphia International Airport is in Tinicum Township, which is in Delaware County. Philly's southern and western suburbs don't drop too far off in density, meaning that Philly would remain over 10,000 ppsm. Finally, the boost in tax revenue would be HUGE!

Any annexation by Philly would be interesting, as Philadelphia is a consolidated city-county. If Philly expands, would Philadelphia County simultaneously expand? Would this mean that the city now spreads across multiple counties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or