U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:58 PM

126 posts, read 134,171 times

Advertisements

First let me say this..I'm not planning on moving to either city. So i don't need you to ask me my housing budget, job, etc.

I am simply curious about which city YOU think has more diversity in arts, race/ethnicity, food, nightlife, outdoors activities. Which city has a more active creative community? Which city's locals seem more friendly and down to earth?

Not interested in housing, jobs, traffic, etc comparisons thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 02:39 AM

51 posts, read 53,422 times
I grew up in Sacramento, and I think it's very much an improving, upcoming market, but Austin wins this one hands down. Race/ethnicity might go Sac's way (I think Time named it most diverse city in the U.S. some years ago), as might outdoor activities, but Austin's just miles ahead in terms of arts, food and nightlife IMHO.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:27 AM

4,812 posts, read 4,994,656 times
Ahead, probably, "Miles" ahead i don't think so.

Sacramento's Art Scene is sort of underground. An old rundown Sacramento Hotel was converted into a Art Space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIkVmsCKjPw

Old 12-29-2016, 12:33 AM

List of Most Diverse Cities in the USA 2016

Sacramento #10 - Sactown is much more diverse than Austin.

Austin #50

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-diverse-cities/12690/

If adjusted to include only large cities.

Sacramento #5

San Francisco #9

Austin #18

Denver #22

Portland #39

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-29-2016 at 12:43 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 12:36 AM

18,088 posts, read 22,943,598 times
Austin would be more friendly, overall, as Texans are super friendly.

I haven't been to Austin in quite a few years, but I have visited friends there, and I lived in Sacramento. As much as I love Austin, I'd rather live in Sacto. Sacramento has way more in the way of outdoor options within driving distance. And the weather is far better. And yikes on the Texas bugs!

Sacramento is much more diverse, with many more different cultures, more diverse types of neighborhoods, very lively art scene, lots of cultural events and venues, and San Francisco is just a couple hours away, and you can even take a nice train ride to SF.

Like I say, I love Texas and Texans and crazy Austin, but overall, I'd much rather live in Sacramento.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:00 AM

Free concerts, festivals, performance art happenings are quite common in Sacramento.

Sacramento Artist GARIBALDI honoring DAVID BOWIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt_PrEm_ycQ

Old 12-31-2016, 02:40 PM

126 posts, read 134,171 times
Awesome! Great stuff to look into..thinking of taking a vacation to Sacramento.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:16 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,581,868 times
Austin for sure. But they can be a bit pretentious

Old 12-31-2016, 08:43 PM

Sacramento has always been sort of self-deprecating, underestimating itself. Many people say if you put Sacramento in some intermountain, southern, or midwestern state it would outshine many others cities and it's attributes would be more appreciated and hyped up.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Austin for sure. But they can be a bit pretentious
I like Austin a lot, but it is way overhyped. I like that Austinites have a lot of pride in their town and are not afraid to boost about it, even overhype it, nothing really wrong with that.

Sacramento is the complete opposite, we are the first to not hype-up anything about our town, and we downplay our attributes. It like part of the City's and Regions personality.

But, we have evolved into more acceptance, recognition and self-pride, but I think there will always be this sort of self-deprecating nature about Sacramento. We are always asking ourselves if we really deserve this or that, are we worthy of another fantastic art museum, or another research facility in Davis, etc. We take caution regarding anything big and bold. There is this constant push to control growth which sometimes drives out business expansion.

I think Sacramento's identity is still evolving; it's organic and a slow evolution which I think we will be the better for it. Sacramento's vibe and mindset is much more like Portland than Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or