U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:14 AM

6,592 posts, read 3,674,133 times

Advertisements

St. Louis has several (University City, Webster Groves, Clayton, Maplewood, and others) and some older cities that have been engulfed by suburban growth (St. Charles and maybe Florissant --late 1700s). Kansas City has a similar pattern with Independence and Liberty Mo. predating Kansas City but now exist largely as suburbs. Both have preserved their own identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 08:12 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,542,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Other than that, Long Island has some unique characteristics compared to many suburbs across the nation. Connected to the nation's largest city, 100 miles of ocean beaches, a tourist destination in its own right, with history dating back to the 1600s.
I love Long Island, but how much tourism does it really get? I don't really remember seeing tourists there growing up, or when I go back to see family. While there's plenty to do, there doesn't seem to be much that would attract tourists specifically. I guess the Hamptons would be the big attraction, but I feel like even that crowd is primarily from elsewhere within the metro area.

On the other hand, I was at the Fire Island Lighthouse last month -- never been there before -- and was surprised to hear a number of foreign languages being spoken (and not the languages associated with local immigrant communities, either). I wondered who these people were. Were they visiting the city and decided to take a long trip out on the Island just to see a lighthouse? (For perspective, it took me 30 minutes just to get there from my parents' place in Long Beach). Were they actually traveling from Europe and beyond to take a beach vacation on Long Island in late November? Neither prospect seemed particularly likely to me, and yet there they were.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:18 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,946,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm putting in a vote for Naperville, IL.

It has a downtown to rival that of some big cities: compact, quirky (not entirely consisting of chains), vibrant, and rich in history, although the parking garages take away from the old vibe. There even a preserved historic village with buildings dating back to 1831. Outside of downtown, there is a sizable residential area with a street grid, narrow streets, sidewalks, and well-maintained old houses. There is even a swimming pool built inside an empty quarry (Centennial Beach), which once provided material for constructing most of downtown Naperville.

Unfortunately, the above is true for only the older part of Naperville. Once you go past the grid portion of the town, you get the usual suburban [rhymes with "crawl"] that doesn't get much love here on City Data.
Totally agree. Naperville is very unique, as are St. Charles and Geneva. You absolutely know when you're in those towns.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:23 AM

23,124 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Mountain Brook, AL. Not at all what you would expect to find in the suburban South.

https://www.welcometomountainbrook.com/

Old 12-29-2016, 10:06 AM

1,043 posts, read 727,498 times
Media, PA immediately comes to mind. It is the only suburb in the United States that has a true "Main Street" since it has a trolley running down the middle of it. Here is a picture of a summertime event called Dining Under the Stars (credit to mediarestaurants.com):

Philadelphia probably has the most suburbs with character. Off the top of my head, I can think of: Media, Swarthmore, Ridley Park, Ardmore, Narbeth, Conshohocken, Doylestown, Lansdale, Ambler, Glenside, New Hope, Newtown, Kennett Square, Oxford, West Chester, Downington, Bristol, New Castle (DE), Newark (DE), and others that I'm probably forgetting.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:27 AM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Generally older metros have towns that where independent and have a sense of place.
Lexington, Concord, Salem, Plymouth, Lowell, Cambridge and Gloucester MA are probably some of the most famous places in the US and they are within the Boston MSA.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:52 AM

5,914 posts, read 6,546,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Totally agree. Naperville is very unique, as are St. Charles and Geneva. You absolutely know when you're in those towns.
agree with both of you. And as for St. Charles and Geneva, that stretch of the Fox River deserves the title of "Charm Belt"

Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 AM

242 posts, read 162,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Houston- The Woodlands, nice skyline (for an outer burb), tons of trees and every building is brown, while you can mistake being in one MPC for another in the Woodlands that is next to impossible.
Seconding The Woodlands for Houston, also Oak Forest, New Chinatown, Memorial Villages, Uptown/Tanglewood, Sugarland.

In Chicagoland: Naperville and the BNSF Corridor of Hinsdale, UP West Corridor of Elmhurst, and the UP North Corridor of Highland Park &ct.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:10 AM

242 posts, read 162,381 times
Houston's suburbs have a lot of character compared to other cities. I mean Houston's real downtown is a suburb.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:19 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Media, PA immediately comes to mind. It is the only suburb in the United States that has a true "Main Street" since it has a trolley running down the middle of it. Here is a picture of a summertime event called Dining Under the Stars (credit to mediarestaurants.com):

Philadelphia probably has the most suburbs with character. Off the top of my head, I can think of: Media, Swarthmore, Ridley Park, Ardmore, Narbeth, Conshohocken, Doylestown, Lansdale, Ambler, Glenside, New Hope, Newtown, Kennett Square, Oxford, West Chester, Downington, Bristol, New Castle (DE), Newark (DE), and others that I'm probably forgetting.
You need to have a trolley running down the street to have a "true Main Street"? That is a pretty unusual opinion. I don't even think Mayberry had a trolley.

Philadelphia probably has the most suburbs with character, is very debatable. I mean New York, Boston, Chicago and probably some other cities will disagree with you. Just by size, New York dwarfs the Philadelphia metro area and our suburbs also have character - and the point is we have a lot more of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or