U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:46 PM

43 posts, read 22,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Media, PA immediately comes to mind. It is the only suburb in the United States that has a true "Main Street" since it has a trolley running down the middle of it. Here is a picture of a summertime event called Dining Under the Stars (credit to mediarestaurants.com):

Philadelphia probably has the most suburbs with character. Off the top of my head, I can think of: Media, Swarthmore, Ridley Park, Ardmore, Narbeth, Conshohocken, Doylestown, Lansdale, Ambler, Glenside, New Hope, Newtown, Kennett Square, Oxford, West Chester, Downington, Bristol, New Castle (DE), Newark (DE), and others that I'm probably forgetting.

Definitely Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 11:05 PM

6,070 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Not sure if its considered a suburb of DFW (its certainly in the metro) but it is suburban, but I'm gonna give a shout out to where I live; Denton. It certainly has its own distinct identity and character and the residents are proud of it. Its downtown is small but unique and historic. It has the iconic courthouse with bars, shops and restaurants sorrounding it, its got historic steets like Oak and Hickory with some beautiful homes. Its got that corn mill, which is quite an odd thing to be a local landmark, but it is!

Maybe its cuz its a college town, but Denton surely has a lot of character and quirkiness to it. Its also a music town. They say its like how Austin was before it got huge. I just hope it doesn't explode in the future. And I wish they'd finish up and fix the roads and the traffic lights -_-

Coral Gables, Florida is another suburb with its own character and identity. It may not be that old or historic (less than 100 years old) but its got an identity all right. Its known for being ritzy and quite posh. Miracle Mile is nicely designed and walkable and its known for its streets with live oak canopies and for having the street names on stones on the road.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,241,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Not sure if its considered a suburb of DFW (its certainly in the metro) but it is suburban, but I'm gonna give a shout out to where I live; Denton. It certainly has its own distinct identity and character and the residents are proud of it. Its downtown is small but unique and historic. It has the iconic courthouse with bars, shops and restaurants sorrounding it, its got historic steets like Oak and Hickory with some beautiful homes. Its got that corn mill, which is quite an odd thing to be a local landmark, but it is!
The county seats of DFW tend to have the greatest sense of place and character - Downtown Fort Worth, several neighborhoods in Dallas, Denton, and Downtown McKinney. Fort Worth and Dallas are obviously cities, but as suburbs, Denton and McKinney have the greatest sense of place. A runner up would be Grapevine, IMO.

The rest of DFW is devoid of character, sense of place, and personality. Especially Frisco, Plano, Allen, and Arlington. Yuck.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:41 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The county seats of DFW tend to have the greatest sense of place and character - Downtown Fort Worth, several neighborhoods in Dallas, Denton, and Downtown McKinney. Fort Worth and Dallas are obviously cities, but as suburbs, Denton and McKinney have the greatest sense of place. A runner up would be Grapevine, IMO.

The rest of DFW is devoid of character, sense of place, and personality. Especially Frisco, Plano, Allen, and Arlington. Yuck.
Arlington is the worst. DT Arlington looks like the hood.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:30 AM

419 posts, read 698,696 times
Upper Arlington, OH, suburb of Columbus definitely fits this mold.

Its a great suburb. Hardly any crime, strong sense of community, and kids still play outside. One high school. A very convenient place to live. Many 3rd-and 4th generation families live here.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:44 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,111,285 times
Alexandria, VA
Annapolis, MD
Frederick, MD
Leesburg, VA

Basically any suburb that is old and was once a city in its own right.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:53 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,313,481 times
It's hard to pick a #1, but here are some of the top ones I think of:

Basically every LA suburb, Bay Area suburb, and DMV suburb

Long Island NY and North Jersey suburbs
Maybe NYC Connecticut suburbs too
But I feel like Westchester/Rockland + Upstate NY suburbs are not so much for some reason.

Philly Mainline suburbs, although probably not as well-known as the others

And Miami suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or