Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:14 PM

368 posts, read 453,491 times

Advertisements

I hear talk about black & white american english accents. But what about assimilated hispanic americans who been here for acouple generations, do they have their own english accents or adopt black or white accents?

I know Puerto Rican/Dominican english accents may have influence from their Caribbean Spanish (which has Canarian origin and West African/Native Caribbean influence). Also Mexican english accents have inflence from mexican spanish (which has origins in mainland spain and influence from Native Americans). I think that Mexican Americans create their own American english accent, Central American Latinos adopt Mexican American english, Caribbean Hispanics (Puerto Ricans & Dominicans) adopt black American english accents, while Cuban and South Americans adopt stereotypical white accents. What do you all think??

Do Puerto Ricans and Dominican Americans in cities like Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Chicago, Orlando, and Tampa have their own accents? Or do they adopt accents of their black and/or white counterparts in those cities when they assimilate? Refrences include celebrities like Jennifer Lopez, Rosie Perez, Zoe Saldana, Big Pun, Sonia Sotomayor, Joell Ortiz, Peedi Crakk.

Also do Mexican Americans and Hispanics with origins in other Central American Latino countries, have their own American English accents in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Milwaukee, Chicago, Atlanta, and DC? Or do they adopt accents from black and/or white counterparts in these cities? Refrences include celebrities like George Lopez and Gabriel Iglesias,

Do hispanic americans who've been here for generations, have their own accent based on ancestry and state, or do they adopt accents of blacks and/or whites in their cities?? What you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Assuming they don't speak a ton of Spanish on a daily basis, they speak the regional accent. I have a ton of Latina friends in California who sound like Blonde Valley Girls.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:57 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Assuming they don't speak a ton of Spanish on a daily basis, they speak the regional accent. I have a ton of Latina friends in California who sound like Blonde Valley Girls.
True. One of my Mexican friends speaks no Spanish and sounds like a stereotypical surfer. But the many that I know who speak Spanish at home have a detectable "accent", with certain few words.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
SIL is Columbian/English. Perfectly fluent in either language. No hint of a Spanish accent...speaks pure Nu Yawk. Sometimes funny when we get a party here on the strip of the bilinguals, Americans and Columbians and the joke telling starts. I have a brother who is a Spanish linguist by education who can tell dialects jokes in Spanish. So we get this wild conversation as the joke is simulataneously told in two languages and some strange pigdin.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:13 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Agree with the above posters. Go to New York's Spanish-language neighborhoods in Queens (like Corona) or the Bronx (e.g., Norwood), and Hispanics generally answer your Spanish questions in perfect "Noo Yawk" American English. Down South, they'd most likely speak with American southern accents, y'all. Hispanics here have no detectable foreign accent unless they recently arrived undocumented from Mexico or Guatemala. Otherwise they grew up here and attended local schools with required English each year (sometimes called "language arts," but it's still English language + US-UK literature). They're native speakers of English for all intents and purposes.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

My wife says I get all SoCal Vato when I get worked up. Otherwise, I sound how I sound, which is like a Southern Californian IMO.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Once assimilated, folks usually adopt a regional accent.

My maternal grandmother had a sister who married and moved to Chicago. My relatives are a mix of Italian, Irish, Polish, and all have a Chicago accent.

They on the other hand say I sound like Spicolli from fast times at ridgemont high.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:31 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I'm Cuban-American though I don't think I have any "detectable accent," at least not a Cuban sounding one. But I recorded this quick little thing just now where I read the bio of an artist that was playing on my Pandora, so if you can detect any Cubanish in my voice, please let me know! ^^ Vocaroo | Voice message

I do know Hispanics, such as my partners aunt, who sound full-blown Southern/Texan and you wouldn't assume they were Mexican just by listening to them, but I know many have a noticeable Spanish language influence even with perfect English. It all depends.

"AFI (whose abbreviation stands for "A Fire Inside") issued several singles before securing a record deal with the Nitro label, which issued the band's second album, Very Proud of Ya, in 1996. Two LPs followed in 1997 -- a re-release of their 1995 debut, Answer That & Stay Fashionable, and Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes -- and personnel shifts ensued. Kresge was the first to leave, being replaced by bassist Hunter Burgan, and Stopholese departed in favor of ex-Redemption 87 guitarist Jade Puget, who then shared songwriting duties with Havok." That's what I was reading. I had someone tell me "I can tell you're Cuban by your voice/accent" but they never specified so I don't know what they were referring to.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Yes, all Hispanics, assimilated or not have a detectable accent; several different ones depending on where they grew up and what languages they speak. Additionally, assimilated non-Hispanics have detectable accents. Among the ones I detect often are New England, New York, upland South, Texan, Midland, California, Upper Midwest, Estuary, Geordie, Scouse, Welsh, Irish, Australian, and many others.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:05 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
US born Hispanics vary a lot in how they speak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.