Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston v. Seattle
Boston 32 48.48%
Seattle 34 51.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:24 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Yes, millions and millions. I believe they're from 1820.
I'd like to live in a house like that, but in Philadelphia. That's a refreshingly different lifestyle than what is offered in Houston or in other parts of the South and West. Can you imagine living there in an East Coast city when the West was wild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its places like that that make Boston so special. You wont find that kind of charm/architecture on the west coast.
Does the song "San Francisco" come to mind? Or the title card for Full House with the Victorians and the Bay view? It's not an exact match but the closest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Does the song "San Francisco" come to mind? Or the title card for Full House with the Victorians and the Bay view? It's not an exact match but the closest!
To be honest, thats why San Fran is my fave big city in the west. But, the Victorians in San Fran, while nice, are a dime a dozen out here and on the east coast. The east coast/midwest/south is far more enticing architecturally, IMO.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 AM

30 posts, read 119,945 times
Quote:

...Or the title card for Full House with the Victorians and the Bay view? It's not an exact match but the closest!
hehehe you referenced Full House

Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna044 View Post
hehehe you referenced Full House
It's one of the handful of shows set in S.F. Most shows are in L.A. and then N.Y.C.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:41 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,008 times
Quote:
I'd like to live in a house like that, but in Philadelphia. That's a refreshingly different lifestyle than what is offered in Houston or in other parts of the South and West. Can you imagine living there in an East Coast city when the West was wild?
Philadelphia has some nice ones too. My dad's friend actually fixed up a six-story in the area where they filmed "The Sixth Sense." Even though it was in poor condition when he bought it, it was still a few million I believe.

By UrbanOhio

Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post

By UrbanOhio
When I think of Philadelphia, I think of Ben Franklin and printing. Until a few years ago, I didn't know he was from Boston as he is more famous in Philadelphia.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 PM

30 posts, read 119,945 times
Quote:
When I think of Philadelphia, I think of Ben Franklin and printing. Until a few years ago, I didn't know he was from Boston as he is more famous in Philadelphia.
I went to Philly to visit my brother, and the over usage of ben franklin got so annoying. Ben franklin mall, ben franklin bridge, ben franklin plaza, ben franklin ave. It became a little redundant, I get it, he lived there and liked it. I wish they just would show me other stuff on tours rather than everything with his name plastered on it and with his picture on it.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:23 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
I associate Philly with Ben Franklin too but we need to remember that all bad-ass old dudes are from Boston (and Virginia). It is a fact that everyone who has learned American history should know.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna044 View Post
I wish they just would show me other stuff on tours rather than everything with his name plastered on it and with his picture on it.
Hopefully you went to Independence Hall and saw the Liberty Bell on the Mall. Not everything is plastered with Ben Franklin--City Hall has William Penn's statue on top.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Franklin bequeathed £1,000 (about $4,400 at the time) each to the cities of Boston and Philadelphia, in trust to gather interest for 200 years. The trust began in 1785 when a French mathematician named Charles-Joseph Mathon de la Cour wrote a parody of Franklin's "Poor Richard's Almanack" called "Fortunate Richard." Mocking the unbearable spirit of American optimism represented by Franklin, the Frenchman wrote that Fortunate Richard left a small sum of money in his will to be used only after it had collected interest for 500 years. Franklin, who was 79 years old at the time, wrote to the Frenchman, thanking him for a great idea and telling him that he had decided to leave a bequest of 1,000 pounds each to his native Boston and his adopted Philadelphia. As of 1990, more than $2,000,000 had accumulated in Franklin's Philadelphia trust, which had loaned the money to local residents. From 1940 to 1990, the money was used mostly for mortgage loans. When the trust came due, Philadelphia decided to spend it on scholarships for local high school students. Franklin's Boston trust fund accumulated almost $5,000,000 during that same time, and was used to establish a trade school that became the Franklin Institute of Boston.
He apparently loved both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.