U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 02:07 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Goodness, I didn't know a city as big OKC was this extreme. I wonder how Russell Westbrook has been able to do it this long.
OKC really ain't that big, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 08:04 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,151,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Colorado Springs
Boise
Provo
Boise isn't a conservative city. For instance, Hillary won the precincts in the city of Boise this last fall and the city government is Dem. Boise loves its LGBTQ community and welcomes refugees. Last year, Boise had the largest Democratic caucus in the country.

I'm not familiar with Colorado Springs but have heard it is similar to SLC in its conservatism. Provo...well that town may as well be on the moon.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 01-20-2017 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 PM

9,013 posts, read 4,119,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
OKC really ain't that big, though...
It's big enough that it's unusual that it's so conservative. Towns that are comparable on the political spectrum are either much smaller (Amarillo, Wichita, Fort Smith AR) or are suburbs of much larger cities (Mesa AZ).

Old 01-24-2017, 11:06 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times
Conservatives love San Diego and Orange County, huge military presence and they are in a state that rejected Bernie and went for Hillary in the primaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Result...ults,_2016.svg

Green States are a no go, yellow your chances are better.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:11 PM

9,013 posts, read 4,119,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Conservatives love San Diego and Orange County, huge military presence and they are in a state that rejected Bernie and went for Hillary in the primaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Result...ults,_2016.svg

Green States are a no go, yellow your chances are better.
San Diego and Orange County have shifted leftward from where they used to be. In the Reagan era, Los Angeles was purple and Orange County and San Diego were conservative strongholds. Today, Los Angeles is almost as dark blue as you can get, San Diego is comfortably blue, and Orange County is purple trending blue. There hasn't been a lot of talk about it, but Orange County voting for Hillary in 2016 was a historic thing. Probably the only conservative bastion left in California other than the rural desert areas is probably Bakersfield.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:30 PM

6,865 posts, read 6,194,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's big enough that it's unusual that it's so conservative. Towns that are comparable on the political spectrum are either much smaller (Amarillo, Wichita, Fort Smith AR) or are suburbs of much larger cities (Mesa AZ).
Once again, you make a wildly inaccurate statement about OKC. While OKC will never be mistaken for Seattle, San Francisco or a real liberal place.......... it is certainly not like Amarillo, Wichita Falls, Fort Smith or Mesa.

While the liberal faction of OKC is somewhat small, it is strong and vibrant. Let's use gay pride as an example of this. Amarillo, Lubbock, Wichita have Gay Pride events that draw between 500 and 2,000 attendees. OKC? 70,000.

OKC has one of the strongest atheist groups in the country. Perhaps it IS the oppression of the majority conservative environment that makes the liberals in OKC more rigorous, but liberals are here and they are active.

I mean, OUR OKC liberals (with some help from Detroit) got a Satanic monument at the ready at the state capitol. OUR OKC liberals got the confederate flag removed from the state capitol flag plaza way back in 1989.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:24 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,155,242 times
Thanks guys, a good list for me to work with here.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:15 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
it seems like a lot of people posting are not actually conservatives. I don't suggestions like rural desert areas of Bakersville sound realistic. The majority of Republican voters live in suburbs because obviously there are a lot of jobs in rural areas.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it seems like a lot of people posting are not actually conservatives. I don't suggestions like rural desert areas of Bakersville sound realistic. The majority of Republican voters live in suburbs because obviously there are a lot of jobs in rural areas.
Bakersfield (not Bakersville) is a metropolitan area of nearly 900K people; that doesn't sound like a "rural desert area" to me and I'm sure, like any other place, it has plenty of suburbs to choose from.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:09 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Bakersfield (not Bakersville) is a metropolitan area of nearly 900K people; that doesn't sound like a "rural desert area" to me and I'm sure, like any other place, it has plenty of suburbs to choose from.
In Bakersfield's case, not really, however, there are very suburban areas in Bakersfield itself (the west side immediately comes to mind). The inner core is typical Central Valley ghetto, but the surrounding city is middle-class (with the exception of Oildale, which would easily be considered a Trumpster ghetto), conservative, and a mostly White/Hispanic mix. Bakersfield is otherwise surrounded by farms and small farm towns.

However, all the rest of Kern County is VERY conservative, any conservative loving conservative would LOVE Kern County. The city of Ridgecrest (25K pop, rural desert city) is quite known for it (read all my posts about it), and Rosamond (rural desert city), Tehachapi (rural mountain town), and the Kern River Valley (Lake Isabella, Kernville, etc, all rural), would make any Kevin McCarthy loving young Republican feel right at home.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or