Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:58 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
OP, I wish you would clarify your terms as for what "kind" of conservatism (i.e. politically, religiously, fiscally, etc.) you're looking for, and what size city or town you'd like.
Good points here. I would say for libertarian conservatism, you are better off in the upper Mountain West or Alaska. For religious conservatism, that is strongest in Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, and parts of Texas (does not include any of the major Texas cities though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
For your situation, Lubbock or Amarillo might be good fits.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:23 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
You have to live in a blue state because of Trump?
Liberals moving to blue states will just help ensure red states stay red, and Trump and the Republican Congress remain in power for the long term.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:48 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Good points here. I would say for libertarian conservatism, you are better off in the upper Mountain West or Alaska. For religious conservatism, that is strongest in Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, and parts of Texas (does not include any of the major Texas cities though).
Well, Kansas does seem to be aligning more toward the South than the Midwest these days, and the governor there is a good indicator of that shift.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:26 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Just because of the liberal politics?
No, actually. The schools are terrible here, as is the crime.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 PM

78 posts, read 104,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Oklahoma City, where possession of marijuana first offense = 1 year in jail. Even very Red States don't have those dinosaur-era type of pot laws anymore.

Oklahoma Marijuana
Actually we just passed state questions 780 and 781.

Quote:
Previously, possession of illegal drugs was a felony according to state law. State Question 780 made drug possession a misdemeanor. The measure continued the classification of drug manufacturing, trafficking, and selling as felony offenses.
Previously, a theft or forgery of property worth over $500 dollars was considered a felony offense by state law. State Question 780 raised that threshold to $1,000 dollars. State legislation passed in 2016 enacted reforms that included many of the changes proposed by State Question 780 to laws governing property crime.

The prison cost savings brought about by State Question 780 were intended to be allocated according to the companion initiative, State Question 781. State Question 781 was designed to allocate the funds made available by the prison cost savings to counties in proportion to their population and could be claimed by privately-run rehabilitative organizations that provide drug and mental health treatment, job training, and education programs.

https://ballotpedia.org/Oklahoma_Rec...tion_780_(2016)

Old 01-08-2017, 04:52 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Are we talking politically, religiously, mentally, or maybe all miserably combined? Salt Lake City??
Salt Lake is a great city (and i say that as someone who is as far left as possible) and not as conservative as you might be assuming. Utah is very conservative. But Salt Lake is changing. I assume that you know that their mayor is a woman and gay as well?

Old 01-08-2017, 05:23 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Oklahoma City, where possession of marijuana first offense = 1 year in jail. Even very Red States don't have those dinosaur-era type of pot laws anymore.

Oklahoma Marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this. Oklahoma City is hyper-conservative to the extreme. The Baptist moralists pretty much run and control everything. It's hard to believe while other states are legalizing marijuana, OKC is raiding head shops and the state tried to sue Colorado. I will be shocked if it isn't 30+ years before marijuana is legal in Oklahoma. OKC is probably one of the only places where a state legislator can publicly go on rants about how the LGBT community is worse than terrorists and be re-elected two more times. You can't buy real beer at a grocery store and the liquor stores close at 9PM and on Sunday (In Oklahoma they sell watered down 3.2% beer). It's actually a little too right wing here for even a lot of "conservatives" from other parts of the country i.e. those that really support small government.

If the OP aligns with the religious right, they might like OKC. If you are a small government libertarian conservative who doesn't want a nanny-state in their business, I would look elsewhere.
Goodness, I didn't know a city as big OKC was this extreme. I wonder how Russell Westbrook has been able to do it this long.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:16 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Naples, Florida/Collier County

Old 01-10-2017, 07:50 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Lexington and Lynchburg, VA, home of Liberty University. VA Beach too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.