U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:54 PM

24 posts, read 13,786 times

Advertisements

Happy New year.

I am come looking for recommendations of a diverse coastal/waterfront city or community, preferably with a decent black presence (I have lived in very monotone areas and it was truly great, but could not get a haircut or certain food) and some cosmopolitan flare. I am compiling a list. There are no budget concerns, small to large cities, weather is not a concern, no plans for kids, and anywhere in the country. I have some of the more obvious places: Oakland, DC, Miami, and Savannah (although I visited and it seemed a little crime ridden). All comments welcome and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,464,153 times
Chicago, North Side along the lakefront. Lake Michigan is so huge it looks like an ocean, and acts like one, too. Has all your requirements.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 PM

56,742 posts, read 81,061,259 times
How small are you willing to go and are cities on a lake good enough? If so, I would possibly consider cities on the Great Lakes like Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.

There may be some sleepers depending upon how your city size criteria is.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:25 PM

Ha, I am leaving the CHI, This is an awesome city, the winters a little harsh and the segregation is a bit of a downer along with the extreme southside violence. Maybe I am looking for a change of scenery.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:30 PM

@CKTHANKGOD

I have lived in CLE and Detroit, the urban areas are a little too rundown for my taste. Buffalo kinda fits this mold well, but it is up and coming for sure. Only limited experience with Milwaukee, but rumors are the race relations are not the best, I could be wrong.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
@CKTHANKGOD

I have lived in CLE and Detroit, the urban areas are a little too rundown for my taste. Buffalo kinda fits this mold well, but it is up and coming for sure. Only limited experience with Milwaukee, but rumors are the race relations are not the best, I could be wrong.
So, what exactly are you looking for? Those 4 cities you mentioned have similar areas and the Great Lakes cities have areas that are fine.

I'd say to give Rochester's SE Quadrant a look: Southeast Quadrant - Rochester Wiki

This is an up and coming neighborhood in that area of town: South Wedge - Rochester Wiki

This is an adjacent neighborhood to the south and where Cab Calloway grew up for 11 years: Swillburg - Rochester Wiki

There's also this neighborhood: Monroe Village - Rochester Wiki with this adjacent to it to the south: Upper Monroe - Rochester Wiki

On the other side of that section of town is this neighborhood: North Winton Village - Rochester Wiki (Really more NE than anything)

Also, the outer portions of this SW Quadrant neighborhood around Brooks and Genesee Park Boulevard or Thurston Road near these two streets may work as well: 19th Ward - Rochester Wiki

Thurston Village - Rochester Wiki

Brooks Landing - Rochester Wiki

Rochester is on Lake Ontario where its Charlotte neighborhood is located: Charlotte - Rochester Wiki

There is a sliver of the city that touches the lake around the Sea Breeze Amusement Park, which is in eastern Irondequoit: Seabreeze - Rochester Wiki

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-31-2016 at 05:24 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 07:50 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,544,734 times
Annapolis, Maryland, comes to mind. Very diverse, coastal, beautiful, pretty sophisticated.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:38 AM

@ckhthankgod
Rochester is a fantastic suggestion. The other cities such mentioned CLE and Detroit, wile strong blue collar cities, had a little more urban decay than I would ideally want. Chicago would be ideal if the downtown area was a little more diverse, along with a couple of other things, but I don't want to derail the thread by bringing those things up.

@Boulevardofdef- Annapolis, how could I have forgotten this city. This seems like the best suggestion so far. I don't know much about it, so I'll be doing some searching on the board. Only been once many years ago, but I remember it was beautiful. I tend to like large cities, but this is close enough to big cities that it should work out well. Thanks

Old 12-31-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
@ckhthankgod
Rochester is a fantastic suggestion. The other cities such mentioned CLE and Detroit, wile strong blue collar cities, had a little more urban decay than I would ideally want. Chicago would be ideal if the downtown area was a little more diverse, along with a couple of other things, but I don't want to derail the thread by bringing those things up.

@Boulevardofdef- Annapolis, how could I have forgotten this city. This seems like the best suggestion so far. I don't know much about it, so I'll be doing some searching on the board. Only been once many years ago, but I remember it was beautiful. I tend to like large cities, but this is close enough to big cities that it should work out well. Thanks
Rochester is a more white collar city than people may realize. From looking at things you may be interested in, a place with this may be up your alley: https://m.facebook.com/bruecoffee/ They have salsa nights and it is in an area near where some of the Black middle class in the city live(those outer neighborhoods of the 19th Ward). Some live in some of the other neighborhoods mentioned as well.

This is another spot that is pretty popular there as well: https://m.facebook.com/TajzeLounge/

There's this spot as well: Restaurant Rochester, NY | Tapas 177

This group may help in terms of places to go to in the city as well: Rochester Black Young Professionals

I'm not going to say it is the perfect place, but it has some things that fit what you are looking for.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:20 PM

Providence may be another city to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or