U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 12:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,141,695 times

Advertisements

Denver Omlette
Rocky Mountain Oysters
Fool's Gold Loaf
Root Beer Float
Shredded Wheat
Cheeseburger
Slopper (Pueblo)
Mexican Hamburger

On 303 Day, We Celebrate the Five Best Denver Food Inventions | Westword
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,816,975 times
Miami could contribute some of its vast Latin cuisine but that would be "stolen" cuisine. Therefore, I'll offer Florida Stone Crab claws. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 PM

7,748 posts, read 6,154,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
For Wilmington, it would be Caprioti's Bobby (sandwich). For the state as a whole, probably scrapple.
Caprioti's is pretty damn good.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 PM

6,981 posts, read 14,105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Miami could contribute some of its vast Latin cuisine but that would be "stolen" cuisine. Therefore, I'll offer Florida Stone Crab claws. My mouth waters just thinking about it.
Publix? Isn't that your thing? Lol. That's all I hear about from my friends from there so I'm assuming it's a Miami thing that's just expanded.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:45 PM

191 posts, read 242,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
In Houston, it's not what you might think. Vietnamese food. Our signature dish is a bowl of pho with a side of French bread.
I think one dish that is uniquely Houston is the Vietnamese crawfish. Although the crawfish boil originates from the Louisiana Gulf Coast, the Vietnamese crawfish is something that has exploded over the last decade and restaurants dedicated to this dish can be found in any U.S. major city right now, which originally became prevalent first in the Houston area. The Vietnamese community along the Gulf Coast (outside of Houston) should also be credited for this dish too.

The Vietnamese crawfish is a perfect fusion of Houston's geographic location and diversity to create a fun dish.

http://www.eater.com/2015/6/24/88268...n-sfa-crawfish

Vietnamese Immigrants Carry On a Cajun Food Tradition - The New York Times

Old 01-03-2017, 04:43 PM

5,914 posts, read 6,549,966 times
If I had to contribute one thing from San Francisco, it would undoubtedly be a totally crusty loaf of sour dough bread.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:26 PM

318 posts, read 340,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Isn't Poutine a Québec thing? You can get it in parts of Upstate NY too. I'm sure that you can get it in VT and NH as well.
Yes, that's the epicenter, it seems. I'm sure it's available in other border states, just like it is in Maine.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:50 AM

25,063 posts, read 23,951,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Don't forget about perrogies! If that isn't something that originated in Philly, then it definitely originated in the area. I'm glad that there are people on this thread that recognize that Philly has more than just it's world-famous namesake sandwich.
You'll have to be satisfied with sharing the pierogi love. Someone has already claimed them. I grew up with them in NEPA. My boyfriend's mom and the church ladies made the best pierogi I've ever eaten.

Originated in Philly? Eastern Europe.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 AM

25,063 posts, read 23,951,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
A lot of it is "stolen" cuisine. I have some stone crabs in the freezer which I'll be eating soon.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:58 AM

1,004 posts, read 603,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
In Houston, it's not what you might think. Vietnamese food. Our signature dish is a bowl of pho with a side of French bread.
What about Banh Mi Sandwiches? How popular are those in Houston?

San Diego - Fish Tacos and/or Carne Asada Fries or Carne Asada Burritos

Washington DC - Half Smoke, and although Baltimore is more well-known for them, Crabcakes. There's also great Korean options, especially in the Northern VA suburbs

Los Angeles - French Dip, Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs, Tacos, Hamburgers, etc.

Los Angeles has the best Korean cuisine in the country, hands-down. Believe it or not, Atlanta is no slouch with Korean food and Korean-Mexican fusion either. However, for this, I'd say either a Chili Dog at Varsity or Hash Browns from Waffle House
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or