U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is the most futuristic and hi-tech?
Atlanta 5 6.10%
Seattle 16 19.51%
San Diego 2 2.44%
Boston 3 3.66%
San Francisco/San Jose 5 6.10%
New York City 12 14.63%
Los Angeles 4 4.88%
Chicago 13 15.85%
Washington D.C. 1 1.22%
Miami 2 2.44%
Houston 6 7.32%
Dallas 5 6.10%
Minneapolis/St. Paul 7 8.54%
Other (specify) 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 AM

48,284 posts, read 45,576,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Minneapolis has been pushing to develop the most modern downtown in the country and is currently the reigning champion of the most high-tech downtown in the US.
MPLS-St.Paul area. Hmm, a domed stadium where the roof is like a balloon, the first indoor mall in the USA(btw, the skylights and so much human body heat are used to keep the mall warm, plus there is an indoor amusement park), skyways for walking around in winter. Lovely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 11:33 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,139,907 times
Minneapolis and Chicago as top contenders.

never been to Minneapolis but I do know that they have a very modern looking and see-through skyline, which is really nice.

Chicago is very rapidly developing it's infastructure, building the Spire, the previously mentioned new technology buildings (like the mcdonalds) and Millenium Park, which has the TV water fountains.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:05 PM

13 posts, read 10,489 times
Boston....not. Great place, but it's actually the opposite of futuristic. I dunno, but NYC is what I think living in outer space would be like...which is where we are supposed to be heading to right?

Old 02-29-2008, 03:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,060,772 times
Well, the scariest most futuristic would probably be DC with big brother watching and all and more government control.
And the most optimistic? My vote would go to Portland, Oregon for trying to become less car-dependent and establishing green space.
World-wide--Dubai for sure.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:45 PM

3,683 posts, read 8,855,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
No offense, but if your impressed with electronic billboards on the side of highways, there's no point in having this conversation. I not quite sure you know what hi-tech is in 2008. You need to get out more. LOL! And by out more, I mean outside the U.S.. Try Germany or Japan. U.S. cities are way behind, when it comes to hi-tech features, compared to other cities all around the world.
Gee, way to rain on my parade and make me feel like a caveman, lol. Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that Atlanta seems ahead of other U.S. cities in many ways. I didn't say it was up there with Tokyo or anything like that. Btw, guess what? I'm living in Japan just outside of Tokyo now, so I do get to see (and am impressed by it) the advanced technology that Japan is famous for. There's still no flying cars or holograms like in sci-fi movies here, but some things you will notice like in public restrooms that have toilets with push button controls and hi-speed hand driers. There are also digital displays and electronic screens in more places (especially in the train stations). Japan doesn't have anything that the U.S. doesn't, but it has more improved and updated versions of devices such as cell phones (the Japanese give a new meaning to "re-inventing the wheel").

Back to Atlanta, I do see a lot of electronic screens, digital displays, and hear automated voices in more places such as the train stations, malls, etc. then anywhere else I've traveled to lately (besides Japan of course). I've lived in San Diego primarily until recently, and over there it's pretty plain and doesn't look like it's changed MUCH in the last 10-20 years. Los Angeles is closer to Atlanta in that way. Someone mentioned Chicago, having a lot of the same features as Atlanta plus having TV's everywhere. That sounds amazing! I haven't been to Chicago since '98 so I wouldn't know. I'd also like to check out Minneapolis sometime.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:50 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
MPLS-St.Paul area. Hmm, a domed stadium where the roof is like a balloon, the first indoor mall in the USA(btw, the skylights and so much human body heat are used to keep the mall warm, plus there is an indoor amusement park), skyways for walking around in winter. Lovely
Are you referring to the Mall of America? It is not the first indoor mall in the USA; it is relatively new.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:01 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
No offense, but if your impressed with electronic billboards on the side of highways, there's no point in having this conversation. I not quite sure you know what hi-tech is in 2008. You need to get out more. LOL! And by out more, I mean outside the U.S.. Try Germany or Japan. U.S. cities are way behind, when it comes to hi-tech features, compared to other cities all around the world.
Could you explain what you mean about Germany? I was there last spring, didn't particularly think it was "futuristic", didn't see anything I haven't seen before.

Also, I think people should stick to voting for cities they have actually been to. You can "hear" all you want about a place, but "seeing is believing".

Old 02-29-2008, 05:07 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,386,048 times
Default chief seattle

I picked Seattle for the space needle, but I agree with the high vote count Chicago and Minneapolis are getting too.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,718,415 times
San Jose with the Silicon Valley.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,003,244 times
Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or