Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
The only place growing in Georgia is the Atlanta metropolitan area and the outskirts of it (northern GA, mountain area).
Not true; coastal Georgia (particularly Savannah) is experiencing rapid growth, definitely more than north Georgia.

Quote:
Illinois suffers from the same issue of having only one major city with nothing else in the state to offer. South Carolina has multiple metros.
Metro Atlanta by itself is more populous than the entire state of SC (which does have multiple, but small, metros) and typically adds more people in a given year than SC, so it was a bit surprising to see SC's domestic migration numbers higher than GA's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Metro Atlanta by itself is more populous than the entire state of SC (which does have multiple, but small, metros) and typically adds more people in a given year than SC, so it was a bit surprising to see SC's domestic migration numbers higher than GA's.
Georgia is getting a large number of international migrants now, while South Carolina is near the bottom nationwide.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:06 AM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Metro Atlanta is also one of the most transient metros in the U.S., perhaps only second to DC. In SC metros, it's probably mostly retirees without the young professional turnstile you see in Atlanta.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:51 AM

127 posts, read 137,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
South Carolina is impressive. It seems to be all the rave these days with a lot of Floridians as well.
South Carolina is incredibly underrated.

I don't know what people from outside the region think of SC, but it is a great place.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:58 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
IIRC, South Carolina is the only southern state which is actually getting whiter rather than more diverse. I'm sure some of the domestic migrants are nonwhite, but a significantly lower proportion than the state's black population (27%-28%). The state also isn't, as I noted, getting any international migration worth speaking of.

This is also why unlike Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia, there's no evidence the state is edging to the left. Northern retiree transplants are probably a little less conservative than the average white South Carolinian, but not the median voter.

Last edited by eschaton; 01-05-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 12:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,378,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
For the South, im surprised that South Carolina is gaining more people than Georgia and North Carolina, must be some kind of error. And Virginia losing people, damn shame such a beautiful state is losing numbers, kimda surprising as well.
It's not an error. All of SC's metros outpace all of Georgia and NC's other than Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh. SC is growing very fast, almost too fast. Case in point, most of the interstate highway is still only 4 lanes. We're still playing catch up fast, even though this has been going on for a while now.

The thing is, NC is booming in Charlotte and Raleigh. Georgia is mainly Atlanta, but Savannah is growing as well. SC has Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head.

You also have fast Charlotte growth spilling into York and Lancaster Counties. York is the 2nd largest county in the Charlotte metro and Lancaster is the 2nd fastest growing. York is 3rd.

SC is basically a mesh of Texas and Florida. HHI and Myrtle Beach is bringing in truckloads of retirees, while Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, and York are bringing in more professionals and families. HHI/Bluffton and Myrtle are bringing families as well. SC is not surviving on retirees like many non-natives think. Even Myrtle Beach isn't.

Professionals is something SC has somewhat lacked more than others throughout history, but the business climate is changing. Charleston had the highest 4-year degree growth in the country a couple years ago, and more brain gain is evident throughout the state. Medical is a field the state really shines in that people don't notice.

Prices are rising fast though, and it's becoming a real problem. SC isn't "dirt cheap" like many outsiders believe. Just being on the Atlantic Coast should void that narrative.

I agree on Virginia though, I would definitely go back. NOVA is obviously expensive, but you get what you pay for, which is a great QOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Metro Atlanta is also one of the most transient metros in the U.S., perhaps only second to DC.
Any data on this? Because I don't believe this to be the case. Atlanta has a HUGE base of natives. Or do you mean Atlanta city is transient because everyone moves to Marietta, Lawrenceville, and Kennesaw after having kids?

Last edited by Jandrew5; 01-05-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 02:29 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Any data on this? Because I don't believe this to be the case. Atlanta has a HUGE base of natives. Or do you mean Atlanta city is transient because everyone moves to Marietta, Lawrenceville, and Kennesaw after having kids?
No, I mean a lot of people leave the metro area altogether for other states. The Atlanta area, much like the DC area, sees a lot of population churn from year to year.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No, I mean a lot of people leave the metro area altogether for other states. The Atlanta area, much like the DC area, sees a lot of population churn from year to year.
But I'm asking do you have data or is that opinion, because I don't believe that to be the case. Not 2nd after DC. once you move to Atlanta, its easy to find yourself staying. New York, DC, and San Fran have obvious transient qualities. I don't see it with Atlanta.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:43 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,149,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
The only place growing in Georgia is the Atlanta metropolitan area and the outskirts of it (northern GA, mountain area). Illinois suffers from the same issue of having only one major city with nothing else in the state to offer. South Carolina has multiple metros.
LOL what?! Cook County, IL is larger than the entire state of South Carolina. There's also a decent amount of life in the Quad Cities, Peoria, St. Louis, and college towns like Champaign-Urbana and Bloomington-Normal. Metro Atlanta is also larger than the entire state of South Carolina. What's your point here?

Old 01-05-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
LOL what?! Cook County, IL is larger than the entire state of South Carolina. There's also a decent amount of life in the Quad Cities, Peoria, St. Louis, and college towns like Champaign-Urbana and Bloomington-Normal. Metro Atlanta is also larger than the entire state of South Carolina. What's your point here?
I think he was trying to say Illinois, like Georgia, has one dominating metro, while SC has 3 mid-size metros where none of them dominate the state, but rather all 3 add about the same influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.