Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:46 AM

233 posts, read 376,626 times

Advertisements

Name some major cities that have suburbs with attractions that take a good amount of tourist dollars away from the primary city. I'm sure Los Angeles is probably number #1 with cities like Santa Monica, West Hollywood, and Beverly Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 09:50 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,691,874 times
Lots of people go to the Mall of America (Bloomington) when visiting Minneapolis.

Chicago - nothing really. The city is so amazing and the burbs are largely inaccessible for tourists due to the tollways and traffic that most tourists utilize mass transit vs rental cars.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxnardNative View Post
Name some major cities that have suburbs with attractions that take a good amount of tourist dollars away from the primary city. I'm sure Los Angeles is probably number #1 with cities like Santa Monica, West Hollywood, and Beverly Hills.
No. I'd say that Miami is #1 in that regard with all the coastal communities sucking up practically all tourism dollars. Plus, Miami is tiny geographically and you are often not in Miami when you think that you are.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:26 AM

9,100 posts, read 13,119,630 times
Miami and LA are good but I would also add Orlando to the top spots.

Miami
Orlando
Los Angeles

Some other cities with nearby attractions off the top of my head:
New York
Boston
Washington DC
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Knoxville, Tenn.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:37 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,897,659 times
If anything, those suburbs bring tourist dollars into the city. Many tourists wouldn't travel into the metro otherwise.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:57 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,511,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Miami and LA are good but I would also add Orlando to the top spots.

Miami
Orlando
Los Angeles

Some other cities with nearby attractions off the top of my head:
New York
Boston
Washington DC
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Knoxville, Tenn.
Every major city has nearby attractions, but I don't think Atlanta and Philly have many that are big draws. For Atlanta, the only two I can really think of are Stone Mountain and Six Flags. The only one I can think of for Philly is KOP Mall.

The Florida cities seem to rank high here with Miami, Orlando, and Jacksonville (the beaches, St. Augustine).

And Hampton Roads qualifies with the Historic Triangle and, if you consider Norfolk the primary city of the metro, Virginia Beach.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:14 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,007,746 times
Dallas gets destroyed by Texas standards. Houston has Galveston, The Woodlands but even then is pretty good especially when you consider all the stadiums/ major airports are inside Houston while Dallas doesn't even have the airport and I think they only have one stadium.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:37 PM

92,053 posts, read 122,237,106 times
What about Phoenix, which has Scottsdale, Cardinals Stadiumis in Glendale and ASU in Tempe, among other attractions?

Old 12-30-2016, 01:05 PM

9,100 posts, read 13,119,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Every major city has nearby attractions, but I don't think Atlanta and Philly have many that are big draws. For Atlanta, the only two I can really think of are Stone Mountain and Six Flags. The only one I can think of for Philly is KOP Mall.

The Florida cities seem to rank high here with Miami, Orlando, and Jacksonville (the beaches, St. Augustine).

And Hampton Roads qualifies with the Historic Triangle and, if you consider Norfolk the primary city of the metro, Virginia Beach.
Yeah, I agree which is I stopped listing even more of them LOL.

Some cities of course, have more than others. Regarding Atlanta and Philadelphia, Atlanta is actually only a small part of the Atlanta area and Philadelphia does have attractions outside the city such as the Adventure Aquarium and the USS New Jersey in Camden.

Good call with the Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:13 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,851,968 times
For Philadelphia: King of Prussia, Camden, Kennett Square (Longwood Gardens). I guess you could also include places like Atlantic City, Lancaster and maybe some closer towns in Bucks County like New Hope.

Delaware takes resident $ away from Philly (tax free shopping) but I don't think many tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.